Yeeep

I need some recording equipment.

No software, I'm going to torrent that (if i can)

I am going to be recording guitar, bass, vokills,and drums

So....what should I get?

thanks fo yo halp

edit: I also have a room dedicated to recording and practicing (upstairs and 10 by 10? maybe)

and I have a alienware m7700 laptop so it can take a lot
Last edited by Jews at Feb 19, 2008,
1. Don't torrent.
2. Good luck...$250 will barely get semi-decent mikes, let alone a system.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
1. Don't torrent.

+1

A Line 6 Toneport and a decent mic will handle vox/guitar/bass. It comes with software too. If you want quality drum recordings, you're going to need to invest a lot more for a better interface and more mics. Or you could just use drum machine software, there's a few threads about them somewhere.

If you want true pro quality, you're gonna have to invest a lot more.
Id just say get a toneport Ux2 but, the drums are a problem.

this is your only route,

buy atleast 2 mics
some type of mixer
then a interface

thats going to be alot more than 250.
Lol, I am such a retard, but I always seem to struggle when I see the price in dollars rather than pounds. Not because of conversion, which is obviously easy, but because I simply don't know how much things cost in the USA. I realize a simple trip to a site like MF would remedy this, but .....sigh.

Anyway, you'll primarily need something to replace the stock soundcard in your computer. This can come in the form of either a PCI interface which you will need to open up your PC to install, or via a USB external interface, which gives the added options of more portability and on board preamps, but the disadvantages of most likely having more latency than a PCI.

For the amount of things you are wanting to record, I can't see how you are going to be able to record them simultaneously on a budget like yours. Is recording them separately an option for you? Because if so, there are several setups you could afford.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Lol, I am such a retard, but I always seem to struggle when I see the price in dollars rather than pounds. Not because of conversion, which is obviously easy, but because I simply don't know how much things cost in the USA. I realize a simple trip to a site like MF would remedy this, but .....sigh.

Anyway, you'll primarily need something to replace the stock soundcard in your computer. This can come in the form of either a PCI interface which you will need to open up your PC to install, or via a USB external interface, which gives the added options of more portability and on board preamps, but the disadvantages of most likely having more latency than a PCI.

For the amount of things you are wanting to record, I can't see how you are going to be able to record them simultaneously on a budget like yours. Is recording them separately an option for you? Because if so, there are several setups you could afford.

Yes I can record them separately
Quote by fridge_raider

Don't blame yourself. Being an American, it's tough for me to figure out exactly how many Euros or Pounds are needed (I try using 1.2/2:1 ratios).

Quote by fridge_raider

In that case, instead of spending money on a soundcard, a USB or Firewire mixer could be the ticket. Still, the cost is prohibitive for getting anything outside of a basic mixer and a few cords, especially since you want to record drums (requiring way more than 2-track recording). Then again, you could get lucky at garage sales and ebay.
Well, then seeing as you are using a laptop, then you'll need to get an external interface, one within your price range. You could get something decent, but you obviously can't spend the whole 250 on this one item. The problem is, the ones suitable for the budget don't have a lot of great features, especially phantom power, which you will need if you want to use a condenser with vocals.

EDIT :^ But a mixer won't really do anything for the sound quality as it will be going into a stock soundcard. Better to get a cheap interface like the Fast Track for $100 or the Lexicon Lambda for £150. Then see what you can afford with the rest in the way of microphones with the rest, but don't forget the cost of cables and mic stand, which can add up. Also , do you have any speakers or headphones to monitor with ? Home stereo speakers or computer speakers are very poor for this, but if you have some, then you can make do, on your budget.
Last edited by fridge_raider at Feb 19, 2008,
But that leaves no money for mics. And I still don't think you need a mixer, use the one in the software.
Quote by fridge_raider
But that leaves no money for mics. And I still don't think you need a mixer, use the one in the software.

But how am I suppose to put like 5 drum mics together?

and my neighbors have mics I can use for a lil while

o and thanks for helping me ridged
Well then if you have a selection of mics like that, then you will need a mixer. My mistake, I thought you would be buying the mics and would have to record drums in a very basic way. In that case, the equipment you have selected should work at a glance. Don't be expecting a great result though ,because you won't get it.
Quote by fridge_raider
Well then if you have a selection of mics like that, then you will need a mixer. My mistake, I thought you would be buying the mics and would have to record drums in a very basic way. In that case, the equipment you have selected should work at a glance. Don't be expecting a great result though ,because you won't get it.

Like will this sound better than just recording with a computer mic from the computer just infront of the amp or anything?
Quote by Jews
Like will this sound better than just recording with a computer mic from the computer just infront of the amp or anything?

Well, anything sounds better than that

But yeah, I would think if you use the equipment properly, and put a lot of effort in the placement of the mics, and the mixing of your songs, you should be able to achieve an ok result. You just need to spend a lot of time making sure you get to know the gear you get. Also, have you read the stickies? Because they are packed full of useful information, from people who know more than I do.
i got a mobile pre usb port, cost me $150 brand new, that still leaves you $100 for a shure sm57 (industry standard mic). the recording quality is pretty decent (the interface was used on my songs "there are no words to this" and "the day god was born", i have a shure 10a (crappy low end mic) and the mic was used on "the day god was born (vox)", "there are no words to this (the acoustic part)" and my "how to scream" tutorial. a sm57 will sound MUCH better and fuller. aside from the shameless plug this can give you an idea as to the sound quality you will get with it (all my guitars except the acoustic ran thru a boss br8 for effects/amp modeling)
Quote by fridge_raider
Well, anything sounds better than that

But yeah, I would think if you use the equipment properly, and put a lot of effort in the placement of the mics, and the mixing of your songs, you should be able to achieve an ok result. You just need to spend a lot of time making sure you get to know the gear you get. Also, have you read the stickies? Because they are packed full of useful information, from people who know more than I do.

Thanks, g

ya I have nothing to do so this is what ill be doing all the time.

So I think I should be getting to know them.
You could barely get away with a decent LDC for $250. Don't waste your money attempting to get good gear. Save it and get a job.

And don't torrent. Someone worked hard to write that software. It's not fair to take their work and use it for something that could potentially make you money.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Last edited by TehNez at Feb 19, 2008,
Dont torrent, we dont promote doing that here at UG............

At $250 you wont get anything that will be able to record drums...
keep an eye on ebay because mics alone will run you at least $400...

A Firewire mixer would be your best bet IMO but prices are easily above $250 and you would still need mics...

How about software drums or even a drum machine like the Alesis SR16?
that would let you use a smaller interface like the Line6 UX1 or a M-audio fast track USB...
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 19, 2008,
Quote by fridge_raider

EDIT :^ But a mixer won't really do anything for the sound quality as it will be going into a stock soundcard.

Hence I mentioned USB or Firewire. The sound quality is determined then by the quality of the mixer itself.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Hence I mentioned USB or Firewire. The sound quality is determined then by the quality of the mixer itself.

Don't go USB, always go firewire.

Some important information for you: Most USB mixers will only transfer a stereo image, whereas firewire will always transfer individual tracks. USB is more likely to end in rediculous latency, because it isn't as fast, nor is it as reliable.

Secondly, despite what people here say, don't bother with a mixer. What you want is an interface. The only difference being that a mixer can be EQued physically rather than digitally. The extra feature costs money, and is better spent on the quality of the preamps and converters, which is all an interface is.

Anything you can do on a mixer can be done digitally in your DAW anyway.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
^ What about 'vokills'?

Anyway, I agree with TehNez on the mixer issue, but the problem is the drum recording. A mixer isn't needed if you just want to record some acoustic tunes, but it might be if you want to record drums, unless you are going to buy a many channel interface like one of the PreSonus units. However, this isn't going to happen on a budget of $250.
I suggested USB as a compromise, since they tend to be less expensive than Firewire mixers and Jews could afford a few cables as a result. But, as fridge said, since he'll mic drums, you'll need something good like a Presonus audio interface.
The FP10 would be a nice choice but what about getting a smaller interface and mixing all the mics that would be used..(only doing this for drums) with an analog mixer and feeding the output of that into the interface?

With drums you really could get away with doing this since most of the time you mix down the drum mics anyways,,,(or at least I do...)

I think the software drums are still the best idea for this budget...
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 20, 2008,
^ I agree. He wouldn't even have to pay for them if he used the free Bluenoise plugin, which I use and find to be more than satisfactory.
Quote by fridge_raider
However, this isn't going to happen on a budget of $250.

Nothing is. I'm ignoring his budget and telling him what is more wise to spend money on, rather than wasting money on unnecessary additions.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator