For a Jazz band i'm playing in I have to solo over the song Black Nile by Wayne Shorter. The song is broken into ABC sections and I solo over ABC.

The chords in the sections are

A

Dmi6, Eb9, Dmi6, Cmi7, F7(b9#5), Bbma7, A7#5, Dmi6, Eb9, Dmi6, Eb9, Dmi6, Cmi7, F7(b9#5), Bbma7, Gmi7, C9sus, A7(#9#5), Ab13

B

Gmi7(11), C13, Fmi7, Bb7, Ebmaj7, Gmi7(11), C13, Fmi7, Bb7, Ebmaj7, A7(#9#5)

C

Dmi6, Eb9, Dmi6, Cmi7, F7(b9#5), Bbmaj7, A7#5, Dmi6, Eb9

I need to know what scale/es to solo over this in. The problem is I need to know by tomorrow(wedsnday) night. Thanks in advance.
Competent jazz improvisation takes years of practice. No one scale is going to work over that progression. You need to learn every note in every chord in that song, and use them to guide your playing.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
seems like you're only choice considering time is arpeggios.

do them. now!
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
What I find helps is to go through and just play the root, and then the third, and then the seventh, and then find ways to get all the way through never changing notes by more than a full step. You can also write out the chord tones and connect them, again never moving more than a tone. That way you can find notes that sound good during transitions, which is one way to really help your solo. For example:

Bbmaj7 to Gmin7

A F
F D
D Bb
Bb G

You can connect Bb to Bb, D to D, F to F, and A to G or Bb. Got the idea?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
It's unfortunate but but a scalar approach to improvisation doesn't work in most jazz contexts.

Construct melodies using the notes in the chord. Play the changes - find the places where, as the chord changes, a note leads into another, preferably by a half step - play those.

Remember: always play melodies. Don't just run right notes. That doesn't sound like anything. Melodies. If you can't think of something, restate the head.
My first response would be 'lol, you're screwed'. My second would be the same.

But because I'm such a nice guy, I suggest you try restating the melody and playing chord tones (as already said). How much experience do you have with jazz improvising? The song is pretty fast, has pretty awkward changes sometimes and you only have ONE day. How do you get yourself into so much trouble?

In the music theory sticky FAQ there should be a lot of links to help you with a better mindset while improvising, I suggest you look for those.

Maybe another instrument does a solo before you, so you can steal some of his licks while you're soloing yourself?

As a final note: Chord tones, chord tones, chord tones! Play them changes and let notes go with small steps down to eachother (like also already said). Good luck with it!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
My first impulse was to say that you were screwed as well. Did you just find out that you had a solo? Anyway, to help you out, here's an analysis of the chord tones in the song:

A

Dmi6: F - C or C#
Eb9: G - Db
Cmi7: Eb - Bb
F7(b9#5): A - Eb
Bbma7: D - A
A7#5: C# - G
Bbma7: D - A
Gmi7: Bb - F
C9sus: F - Bb
A7(#9#5): C# - G
Ab13: C - Gb

B

Gmi7(11): Bb - F
C13: E - Bb
Fmi7: Ab - Eb
Bb7: D - Ab
Ebmaj7: G - D
Gmi7(11): Bb - F
C13: E - Bb
Fmi7: Ab - Eb
Bb7: D - Ab
Ebmaj7: G - D
A7(#9#5): C# - G

C

Dmi6: F - C
Bbmaj7: D - A
A7#5: C# - G

The Dm6 chords could be seen as the ii in C major or the i in D melodic minor, which is why you have the choice of C or C#, but if I were you I would try to keep it simple and just stick with the C over it. Also, make sure you hit the F over the C9sus in the A section instead of an E. And on the altered dominant chords that include an augmented 5th, try your best to avoid laying on the natural 5th.

If it were possible at all, I would try to get out of playing this solo.
Thanks for the help. I actually had to solo on a different song and was working on that and forgot to work on this
Quote by Shiptoni
For a Jazz band i'm playing in I have to solo over the song Black Nile by Wayne Shorter. The song is broken into ABC sections and I solo over ABC.

The chords in the sections are

A

Dmi6, Eb9, Dmi6, Cmi7, F7(b9#5), Bbma7, A7#5, Dmi6, Eb9, Dmi6, Eb9, Dmi6, Cmi7, F7(b9#5), Bbma7, Gmi7, C9sus, A7(#9#5), Ab13

B

Gmi7(11), C13, Fmi7, Bb7, Ebmaj7, Gmi7(11), C13, Fmi7, Bb7, Ebmaj7, A7(#9#5)

C

Dmi6, Eb9, Dmi6, Cmi7, F7(b9#5), Bbmaj7, A7#5, Dmi6, Eb9

I need to know what scale/es to solo over this in. The problem is I need to know by tomorrow(wedsnday) night. Thanks in advance.

Well, how much you know about jazz and music theory at all.
It isn't that simple to explain to someone who does know only a little part of it.

Only sure advice is to follow chord tones...
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
So how did it go?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje