Page 1 of 2
I need to do a 4 minute speech tomorrow why guitars are the best instruments and the only reasons i have so far are that they are cheap to try out and see whether you like them or not, there's many different styles of music you can play, you get the girls if your good at it, and that it leads to more and more friends.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
your voice is actually the best instrument btw, but for guitar, it's versitality of tone ranges
this is an opinion paper, im guessing?

i believe that guitar's are by far the best instrument for several reasons.
they are ecomonical as compared to classical string and wind instruments, they are compact, as compared to pianos and drums, and they work well as solo instruments, unlike bass and tubas.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
they are the unique core to almost any musical piece of our day.

they have also arguably shaped our culture to what it is. Of course other instruments have shaped our culture as well, but since this is opinion, IMO the guitar has created a musical atmosphere that I absolutely love. It is easiest to see how important the guitar is if you simply imagine a world without the guitar.

"HEY DUDES CHECK OUT THIS GNARLY CELLO SOLO!" - I mean comon.

if you use that in your speech, you BETTER tell your class I said that, or i'll call the plagiarism police!
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Feb 19, 2008,
Quote by jj1565

i believe that guitar's are by far the best instrument for several reasons.
they are ecomonical as compared to classical string and wind instruments, they are compact, as compared to pianos and drums, and they work well as solo instruments, unlike bass and tubas.

Damn there you go right there. It's your Intro paragraph with three items to talk about. Soooo easy.
Quote by tjbhdeath squad
I need to do a 4 minute speech tomorrow why guitars are the best instruments and the only reasons i have so far are that they are cheap to try out and see whether you like them or not, there's many different styles of music you can play, you get the girls if your good at it, and that it leads to more and more friends.

That's a matter of opinion.

But being cheap is why they are the most popular instrument played today. I wish other instruments were as cheap as guitars.
Go up there and be like "little wing, thank you."
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
because hendrix played one. the teacher will give an automatic A all you need to say is, "because hendrix used one" end of paper
on a serious note i have to agree with versatiliy and economy. on a personal note, chicks, most chicks love guitar players. its science.
The guitar, specifically the electric guitar, is really the only instrument that can play a lot of chord voicings and play sustained single note melodies.
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
Just bring your guitar and amp to the front of the class and play stairway to heaven wrong.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
eh, its really a matter of opinion, but, yeh, try to imagine a world without guitars, musical culture would be extremely different. I disagree with the girls thing... all it gets me are freshmen, and I don't like freshmen. If you have to try to convince people it is the best instrument, you may as well point out the price, versatility and acessability of it. Its far cheaper than just about any other instrument... minus harmonicas and its rather easy to learn to play something recognizable right from the start. Its also a great way to relax and a great way to express yourself. I honestly can't think of a more expressive instrument than guitar because when you play it with soul , you can even amaze yourself with what comes out. Frankly, I love guitar just because... there isn't one good reason for me to love it. It could be that it pulled me from a depressive chemo suppressed gutter, or that it gave me a means of fully expressing how i feel on a day to day basis... I don't know. But yeah, there are a ton of reasons that make guitar arguable the best instrument.
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
Quote by Schmidty8890
The guitar, specifically the electric guitar, is really the only instrument that can play a lot of chord voicings and play sustained single note melodies.

acoustic and classical guitars can do that just fine. for that matter, so can piano.
basically, it's got the versatility of the piano in a small package, is fairly cheap, and you can play it in most any style (classical, jazz, contemporary etc.) and fit in if you know what you're doing. it's a good solo instrument and it's also good for accompaniment. good luck!
cheap, small, portable, expressive with wide range. change the tone knob, the effect pedal, the amp setting, the pick attack, the vibrato, the pace etc.

You can get a more varied sound out of an electric guitar than any other instrument that I can think of.
something every1 with 2 arms or 1 arm can play.

but in all seriousness quitarists are who most musically inclinde people look up to like hendrix, van halen, hammett whatever. talk about influence
-They are extremely versatile with their vocal range and their flexibility to styles of music
-With the way technology has advanced they have found ways for guitar to appeal to many different styles of music, be it Rap, Metal, Jazz, Blues, Modern Rock, Hip Hop.
-I would say it just appeals to people because of it's versatility, however just remember that for every standard ensemble there are also bassists and drummers and vocals. All important to the contribution, I believe guitar being an rhythm and lead instrument has been developed farther because it does just that, it plays lead. Bass does not need effects because it is used to keep the beat and rhythm steady, drummers keep the band together. People just realized I believe that guitar was a very flexible instrument and began to discover that it could do more than just play single root notes.

I wouldn't say because theres so many different styles etc though because that's just a side effect of it being popular.
I wouldn't say guitars are actually the BEST instrument out there...it's good, it has it's pros and cons..but it would be more of a personal taste kind of thing..

anyway, just to help it's versatile, variety of tones, easy to carry, can be cheap, basically an instrument for the masses, sounds good as rythm and lead..etc.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by nvranka

"HEY DUDES CHECK OUT THIS GNARLY CELLO SOLO!"

I lol'd hard.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by fadedgrim
eh, its really a matter of opinion, but, yeh, try to imagine a world without guitars, musical culture would be extremely different. I disagree with the girls thing... all it gets me are freshmen, and I don't like freshmen. If you have to try to convince people it is the best instrument, you may as well point out the price, versatility and acessability of it. Its far cheaper than just about any other instrument... minus harmonicas and its rather easy to learn to play something recognizable right from the start. Its also a great way to relax and a great way to express yourself. I honestly can't think of a more expressive instrument than guitar because when you play it with soul , you can even amaze yourself with what comes out. Frankly, I love guitar just because... there isn't one good reason for me to love it. It could be that it pulled me from a depressive chemo suppressed gutter, or that it gave me a means of fully expressing how i feel on a day to day basis... I don't know. But yeah, there are a ton of reasons that make guitar arguable the best instrument.

+infinite!!!
fadegrim, you rule, that scenario about imagining a world w/o guitars will get me brownie points. Thanks a billion.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
you can bend and vibrato, but also can play chords. while there are many instruments which'll let you do one or other of those, very few will let you do both.

also there's the wide variation in styles of music you can play.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Easily accessible digital emulation allows you to achieve a number of tones akin to other instruments.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by guitarnoobie
Instead of just talking about why guitars are the best instrument, why don't you show them?

+666
Make a speech about how there isn't really a "best" instrument because it's all subjective, and then condemn America's school system.
+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Guitar Eater
Make a speech about how there isn't really a "best" instrument because it's all subjective, and then condemn America's school system.

Hey, fuck you pal! I gots smarts real good!
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by tjbhdeath squad

Used in lots of popular music - whereas oboe parts are few and far between on MTV
Accessible, easy to get hold of - is there a chain of Oboe Centers? I rest my case...
Portable, you can carry an acoustic guitar anywhere - try that with a piano.
Easy to tune - again, pianos aren't, neither are wind instruments.
Easy to learn - there's learning resources everywhere on the net and loads of printed stuff you can buy.
Capable of playing both single notes and chords - only the piano is more versatile
Highly dependent on physical interaction, your hands have a lot of say in how you'll sound.
Looks cool - there's a reason kids that play the tuba get picked on, it's because tubas aren't cool
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
10 Reasons:

1. Instantly recognisable
2. Musicwide Use (They are used for Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Indie, Even Some RnB, Funk, Shred....List Goes on)
3. Girls are far more likely to go with the lead Guitarist than the lead Cello player
4. They ARE the sound of the majority of modern music (50s - Now)
5. Range of guitars is massive
6. You don't have to have them sounding like a guitar
7. Portable
8. Cheap
9. Can be used for solo stuff, or playing in a group
10. Common (You won't have to search for ages to get your hands on one)

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
UG don't do this kids homework for him.If he doesn't know why he should stop playing guitar period.
There are many reasons:
1. Variety of styles
2. Accesible i.e. easily understandable (as compared to for example violins)
3. Compared to other instruments, excluding stuff like recorders, quite easily buyable
4. This is a big reason for me: Electric Guitars (if you have a part about electric guitars) are one of the, if not, youngest instruments out there, leaving tons of room for improvisation. I mean artists create new ways of using them every year. There are new tones which catch on. There are new ways of using the damned things. Every body plays them differently and that for me is the wonderful thing about these instruments. Playing some of the older instruments (violin, acoustic bass, cello) doesn't leave much room with improvisation. Sure you can make up a new song but you cannot change the sound completly to fit you.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
I'm very amused by these posts. Anyone who picks an instrument because it "looks cool" or gets chicks should not be playing any instruments.

I don't think that the guitar is the best instrument. It is just the most popular because it is the easiest to learn. Anyone can turn on loads of distortion and play some quick high riff and people will think he's good. The amount of effort it takes to bring beautiful sound out of an orchestral instrument ensures that anything you play will as much (but probably more) feeling than some silly shredder ripping through arpeggios.

By the way, for the record, I'm a cellist who plays guitar, and the girls in my orchestra are much better looking than ditsy blonde's who think that John Mayer is sexy because he can play guitar.
Quote by Striketalonx
Go up there and be like "little wing, thank you."

I would give him an A+.

Problem is that most of the kids in the class wouldn't know what Little Wing is or who Jimi Hendrix is, and they probably barely know what a guitar is.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Also, so far, there is no other instrument that can produce the same harmonics when using a tremelo bar
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Page 1 of 2