I need some help on how to get the beats and measure right. I dont know what its called. Its like whole steps, 16th notes, etc. Like 1 ee and a 2 ee etc. What are all of the beats? How can I practice this too?
whole note has 4 beats so from there you devide
so half notes have half of the whole, 2 beats
quarter notes have a quarter of whole notes 1 beat
sixteenth notes have one sixteenth, or half a beat...

so if a song is in 4 4 time then you play 4 beats per measure, so a whole note would take up one measure and so on
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
A whole step is a musical interval. It deals with harmony, not rhythm.

95% of music is written in 4/4 time. 4/4 is called the "meter" or "time signature." It is the fraction thingy at the beginning of a song. 4/4 is so common that it is often referred to as "common time." The numbers in the numerator and denominator (it's not really a fraction, but it's easy to use those terms) dictate the feel of the song. The number in the denominator says what type of ryhthm gets the beat. In 4/4 time (or x/4 time, x being any positive integer), the note getting the beat is the quarter note. A quarter note is one quarter of a measure of 4/4. Yes, it's a bit silly to use two things to define each other, but that's how it is. The numerator tell you how many of the bottom number are played in each measure. In 4/4, there are 4 quarter notes in each measure. In 3/4, there are 3 quarter notes in each measure. In 5/4, there are 5 quarter notes in each measure. A measure of 4/4 is counted 1 2 3 4, each number is sais at the beginning of the quarter note. Likewise, 5/4 is 1 2 3 4 5, each number said at the beginning of the quarter note.

Now you're an expert on the quarter note. What about when you don't want to play 1 2 3 4? Well, that's where the 8th note comes in. A 8th note is half as long as a quarter note; it is 1/8 the length of a measure of 4/4 (all of these note values are defined by the 4/4 time signature). The 8th note comes between the numbers you said on each quarter note. 8th notes in 4/4 time are counted 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND. In 5/4, it is 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND 5 AND.

Even faster is the 16th note. There are 16 16th notes in one measure of 4/4. Ther are counted 1 E AND UH 2 E AND UH 3 E AND A 4 E AND A.

There is a lot more to ryhthm to this and some of it is extremely complicated, but this should be enough to get you started!

EDIT: There are note values longer than the quarter note. A half note lasts half the length of a measure of 4/4. A whole note lasts the entire length of a measure of 4/4.
I dont read music but i knwo tabs. IO created a song but I need to figure out whether what timing it has. so yoyur saying

Whole note = 1 ee and uh 2 ee and a 3 ee and a. only strick the notesd where it says 1, 2, 3, 4. Still coutn them out though

half = i have no idea

eighth note = 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. strike them all 1, 2, 3, 4 and's

16th notes = 1 ee and a 2 ee and a 3 ee and a 4 ee and a. Strike all the notes.

Any I right or is this false?
You don't need to know staff notation, though a familiarity helps, but knowing rhythmic notation is a must.

(Assuming 4/4, which most music is)
Whole Note: 1 (Hold for the duration of the measure)
Half Note 1 (hold) 3 (Hold)
Quarter: 1 2 3 4
Eighth: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
16th: 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a

There's a good chance that your playing ability far exceeds your graps of how to write music, so if you have trouble figuring out what you play, don't be completely shocked.
ok so for an exaple. master of puppets. whats the rythematic notation int he beginning. Is it 6th notes ollowed by 8th notes. what do you eman hold the duration of the measure? or hold 1 and 3?
The beginning? The very beginning of MOP? Is that what you mean? The fast riffing is all 8th notes (there may be a few exceptions). The verses get weird and change meters and do all kinds of stuff I'm not ready to teach you yet, though feel free to look on google and wiki.

Hold the duration of the measure: I mean exactly that. Hit the note/chord and let the note(s) rif for four beats.

1 hold 3 hold: Hit the note on 1 and let it ring. Hit it again only when you get to 3, then let it ring until you get back to 1.
http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Go here and set it to about 60 bpm-ish

whole notes would be one note every 4 clicks

half notes: one note every 2 clicks

quarter notes: one note per click

eighth: 2 notes per click

sixteenth: 4 notes per click

thirty-second: 8 notes per click

triplets: 3 notes per click

sextuplets (or sixes or sixteenth note triplets): 6 notes per click.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
is it normal that this is really confusing at first? Any good websites that will play me all those rythem notations?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature

Read it a bunch of times and then ask me questions. Yes, there is stuff in there that will make you say "wtf." There is also stuff in there that will make you say "WTF!!!!!!"
what inm tryign to learn is how songs are constructed in tab. Not music notation. I want to paly a song and count the beats and find what that is either a whole, half, sixteen, etc. Thats what confuses me. Teh term 4 beats mean its cant be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 right? only 4 not 1 ee and a 2 ee and a 3 ee and a 4 eea n a. Not a 5 right?
DOuble posting is a no-no. The edit button is your friend.

Yes, 4 beats means there are 4 quarter notes in a measure: not 5, not 3, not 7. You can break it down into shorter rhythms, but anything lasting longer than 4 beats will run into the next measure. FYI, many riffs last between 2-8 measures, not just 1.

Average BPM: It could be calculated, but there's so much variation that it doesn't matter. I can tell how about how many bpm a few songs are played:
Guns N' Roses "Sweet Child of Mine" 120-130 bpm
Metallica's "Master of Puppets" 220 bpm (very fast)
AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" 110-120 bpm