So im considering building a Telecaster over the summer. Im thinking about putting some body contours in a Tele Custom body. I think Im gonna put a strat neck on it (birdseye maple neck with a jet black ebony fretboard). I'll finish the body in a transparent dark amber or butterscotch and but a black '72 style pickguard on it. Vintage gotoh tuners. I just cant decide on what pups i want in it. Kinda lookin for a gritty, bluesy tone (Kieth Richards like). Any ides/suggestions?
Quote by Longhairedrockr
So im considering building a Telecaster over the summer. Im thinking about putting some body contours in a Tele Custom body. I think Im gonna put a strat neck on it (birdseye maple neck with a jet black ebony fretboard). I'll finish the body in a transparent dark amber or butterscotch and but a black '72 style pickguard on it. Vintage gotoh tuners. I just cant decide on what pups i want in it. Kinda lookin for a gritty, bluesy tone (Kieth Richards like). Any ides/suggestions?

You're thinking about his '52 Tele named Micawber ... with the Gibson humbucker neck.

^That's sexy
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by Longhairedrockr
what gibson pup does he have at the neck?

Post by TheJacket from the Tele Forum:

"The only reason I have any of this info on file is because the one I'm building will have some of the same specs, but I'm not trying to build a "Micawber" - I really dig the chimey sound of Brown Sugar and Start Me Up

"Keefs" Micawber is a modified Tele from the 1950's...exact year uncertain, but probably a '52 or '54. He had the body routed to accomodate a humbucker in the neck which is a vintage Gibson PAF (year unknown) and installed backward so that the pole pieces are nearer the bridge.

The bridge pickup is original to the guitar.

The low "E" is left off the guitar, and the nut has been cut to accommodate the spacing (the strings are not evenly spaced across the board, the middle three are bunched a little closer together) - string guages are .011, .015, .018, .030, and .042 - the high E has been moved nearer the center of the fretboard as well. Guitar is always tuned to Open G

The bridge is a brass replacement with individual saddles, I don't know the brand.

That's as much as I know and should be pretty accurate. Richards has never sat down and told a reporter the exact specs, he says he leaves most of that to his guitar tech."

I'm also building a tele, but i prefer the more classic single/single formation. Or you could get a humbucking pickup which fits single coil routs. Maybe Seymour Duncan's Little 59 for bridge and vintage stack neck.
Quote by sidvicious182
put in a gibson burtsbucker and a muddy fingers, provided you do a dual humbucker setup

No...just no.
I was thinking about maybe a P-90 at the neck and maybe a moderately hot humbucker at the bridge, not really a Keith like sound but I think it still might produce some sweet tones...