anyone know what midi is? im confused on it.

i have vague ideas. some one clear it up for me.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
thanks >_>...........
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface.

It allows you to use a "controller" device to send a frequency/amplitude signal to a MIDI sound module so your controller instrument can sound like anything in the sound module.

A majority of keyboard are MIDI in addition to any built-in sounds.

A lot of guitars are MIDI controllers or have MIDI pickups on them.

Electronic drums are also MIDI triggers that get their sound from the kits offered in the sound module. Some may have built-in sounds and not require a separate device to store sounds.

The Wikipedia listing says tons more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI
A sound file - sort of.

Rather than recording sound, it's a set of instructions to your computers sound card. As such, it has relatively tiny file size, but the sound quality depends upon your card.
really............i was thinking it was something to control an amp.

can it be used to save settings on an amp and call them up on demand? b/c engl amps have midi accesibility, what would that do to them?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Musical Instrument Digital Interface- basically, it lets one digital instrument 'talk' to another. For example, with keyboards, a MIDI out jack would transmit which keys you hit, how hard you hit them, knob movements, etc. A MIDI input jack would send that signal into the tone generator of the instrument or module. MIDI files are simply sets of hex values that stand for pitches or dynamics.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by girl-tarist
i'd never thought i'd see the day when someone would ask what MIDI is. holy cow. haha.

..............................whats that suppose to mean
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
really............i was thinking it was something to control an amp.

can it be used to save settings on an amp and call them up on demand? b/c engl amps have midi accesibility, what would that do to them?

I quickly looked over the manual for one of the Engl amps with MIDI and I wasn't really able to determine what it's about, but I suspect it allows the amp to send a readable signal to either a sound module, MIDI recording device or other.
so...............it doesnt help with the versatility >_>? man im confused. they have a midi footswitch. it says it saves 128 presets.......doesnt that mean you can save your settings for certain tones and just call them up when you want? considering the amp accepts that footswitch?

i think my question is asking what does the midi do for an engl amp.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
so...............it doesnt help with the versatility >_>? man im confused. they have a midi footswitch. it says it saves 128 presets.......doesnt that mean you can save your settings for certain tones and just call them up when you want? considering the amp accepts that footswitch?

i think my question is asking what does the midi do for an engl amp.

Hi Giternator,

Frankly, I'm also confused.

Here's the link to the Engl manuals page: http://www.engl-amps.com/index2.html

The one I looked at is the Invader 150.

See if you can make sense of it.
it is exactly as i thot, midi on the engls is to save presets.

the PDF manual says that all you have to do is set up your setting, choose a preset to save it to and hold the button down until it lights up and its instantly there when u hit that button. so it really does add to the versatility
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
The thing that MIDI is used for in this case is control over the amp. It uses the different channels in the MIDI signal to make the amp do different things.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
ah well i dont think i need the added versatility midi gives on a 4 channel amp >_>. 4 channels is PLENTY for anyone.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!