Page 1 of 2
alright so next semester

ill be starting a bass project from scratch

ive built guitars but not basses so this will be new to me =]

its gonna be fretless

and im not sure on a body shape yet

im thinking more along the lines of an atom bomb ill post designs withing the next few days

havent decided on a headstock shape =]

input would be welcome

not sure if it'll be 4 or 5 strings...i have a 5 string but im still not sure on what to do with that lowwwwwwwwwwwwww string =]

but hopefully i will by then

i dont really know anything about bass electronics so help me out here =]
I jst love the design of one of the Bass of KIZZ.I dnt knw wat model was it,but its pretty...it suits the user.....the design of a Gear shld suit its user and the type of music...i think....
If it's your first bass go with a P-Bass or a Jazz design.

Although.. a rickenbacker would be pretty sexy.

[:
i think by the time i start working on this ill have enough knowledge under my belt from building guitars that i can do more than a standard p-bass =]

but thanks for the advice

on another note

i have a design for the body style drawn out, ill try to scan it when i get home
im also still tossing around the idea of a fretless bass

the idea is nice, but im not really sure how to play one, and i dont really want to spend that much time and money on something im not sure how its gonna sound or play

so help me out here why should i or shouldnt i make it fretless?
if you're not sure how to play a fretless, go with a fretted bass.

i'm looking forward to seeing this project start.
im excited about starting it, but i dont have the funds atm

and by the time i do school will be out and i wont have access to a machine shop =]

so next semester ill get started on it =D
i recently got a bass in for a refret that only had 7 frets on it. after the 7th fret it went all fretless, but whoever built it, which was someone at my shop, had pulled the frets out, then filled the fret slots with ebony dust and black super glue, then sanded it down so you can see the fret-slot-marks. it was a blood-wood fingerboard, so they were very defined. very versatile, very cool leads on that bass, with the frets on the first 7 so you can get some good steady rhythm.
alright, i got my designs scanned =]

this is the body design

the V and T in the circles obvoisly stand for volume and tone, im gonna try tp get really small knobs and paint them too look like the other rivets (the other circles) =]

im gonna do custom inlays using the CRS machine we have at the shop

even though thats a bit small i think you can still tell what it is, basically an outline of a bomb for the fret markers and a mushroom cloud at the 12th fret spilling over into the 11th and 13th
wicked awesome.
you terroritst. lol
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by christianbassis
wicked awesome.
you terroritst. lol

mmhmm....

just cuz its in the shape of a bomb doesnt mean im a terrorist

probably should have mentioned im gonna put some sort of anti-war phrase on it =P

i just didnt add it to the design because i havent though of one yet
just messin man. realloy does look sweet.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
id put the jack in a recessed area of the "bomb" so it looks like a fuse is coming out of the back...
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Where you going to put the strap button? That thing isn't going to balance at all.
i havent exactly figured out strap buttons yet, thats something ill have to play around with until i find something that will work =]

what do you mean by balance?

and does anyone know what kind of wood would be best?
by balanced he means its gonna neck dive worse than a thunderbird because theres not enough weight in the body to keep the neck level
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.

Judging by the size of the bridge and the pickups the body will be pretty small. If you go 34" scale length (and I don't suggest any shorter) then you're going to need a very lightweight headstock or to put a long top horn on that body to attach the strap to.

Actually I'd go headless and put the tuners on the tail of that bomb shape. Do some more drawings anyway!
judging by your picture the widest point of your bass is narrower than the narrowest part of a fender jazz bass.

i also agree with smb about the headless option, i think it would suit this project a lot better than a regular headstock

and finally you are going to have quite poor upper fret access
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
now that you mention it compared to the bridge and pickups and what-not the body does look a bit small, but thats a rough sketch and i hadnt really been paying attention to the size of everything else, i was more worried about shape and design and all that but it will be pretty big, trust me =]

as for the headless option...thats a great idea! i just have no idea how to go about building it =P

i know im going to have poor upper fret access...but i personally dont use my upper frets, and i dont see any time that i would
i think if you make it a little wider, it might be better, and definitely more balanced. don't get all SG-imbalanced on us!
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
it is gonna be wider than that drawing shows...ill do another drawing soon, more to scale =]

monday ill be working on a steel nut and a string retainer =]
alrighty

havent really posted much in the last few days

been drawing up blueprints for alot of stuff im gonna be making in machine shop for the next few weeks for this project including my own:

-String retainer
-Custom neckplate
-Tuning pegs
-steel nut
-truss rod

and now im toying around with making my own bridge system

im thinking it would have to be a cross between a tuneomatic and a strat style bridge (dont know any specific name) it would go across something to hold up the string and to adjust the action, then instead of going through a hole to ferruels on the other side of the body it would go through to a string guide similar to a tuneomatic tailpiece but would go all the way through, then exit to tuners at the tailpiece =]

ill draw some pictures and put them on here soon

im really excited to get started on this project

i might actually get to start sooner than next semester

until then ill be working on making small parts for it

if anyone k nows anything else that i could possibly make for it out of steel let me know =]
dude, make those back fins bigger, it'll cure neck dive a little, give the nose a sharper point, it'll help with fret access.
try to copy a Badass bridge. it'll be easier and will probably sound just as good.
you can make the frets out of steel.
what do you want to make the body and neck out of?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
That design is da' bomb!

I can't believe noone said that yet.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
How will you make tiny knobs fit onto the shafts of the pots?

Anyways, when I read that you were trying to make the knobs look like rivets, something struck me. If it's possible, then it's the idea of the century (for your build, at least), and I do believe you'd have to send me a hooker or some chocolate as a thank you...

Anyways- you know those knobs that pop out, like you'd see on car stereos, certain pickup systems for acoustic guitars and the like? Not push/pull pots, but ones that you when you push them in, they pop out, and then you push them in again and they stay in. Like a ballpoint pen, you know?

(...And here comes the catch, because I honestly have no clue) If these kinds of clicky-pop-out mechanisms are available for the values of the pots you're gonna be using, then you could have the "rivet head" fully flush with the body, and then you'd just need to dad a droplet of metal paint onto the tip to make it nice and realistic, or snip off a nail head and glue that onto the tip, and then pound the same kind of nails into the body to make up the other rivets...

Idea good? No?

edit: Also, it's called output...
^
hah wow...hooker and chocolate will be on their way

thats a -great-idea...but i have no idea how to make it work =P

EDIT: and about the tiny knobs, they're only going to be about 1/16 or 2/16 larger than the shafts of the pots themselves
Last edited by Paperback Hero at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by the humanity
what do you want to make the body and neck out of?

body will be mahogany and the neck is gonna be maple with a rosewood fretboard

Quote by Will_Minus
That design is da' bomb!

I can't believe noone said that yet.

+1
^^ Well, I wish I knew what their actual name was, so I could search for them, because you never know- perhaps they make the pots you need with such knobs...
so today, i started working on the string retainer, i -should be done by wednesday if all goes well then start the truss rod on thursday

ill post pictures as i finish up each piece =]
Quote by Pikka Bird
^^ Well, I wish I knew what their actual name was, so I could search for them, because you never know- perhaps they make the pots you need with such knobs...

Ibanez tone-lok pedals have knobs like that. Maybe try to find replacement ones or something? they're called 'push-lok rotary pots' on the site. (link)

The bomb shape seems pretty cool, but definately not something that I'd play...
another suggestion, a military-style killswitch, cover and all. with a red button/ swith under it...
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings