Hello all...it's been a while, but I'm back with a problem.

About a week ago, I was playing through my rig and I heard a noise that sounded like a tire blowing out. My signal was completely cut off. I started going through my chain and checking pedals and cables and found out that my tube screamer (TS-9, about 8 years old, input cap, resistor and clipping diode mods) would not turn on. My entire pedalboard is powered via a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 unit. I took everything out of the signal chain except the TS and the pedal would still not turn on (since it is not true bypass, no signal will get through the pedal, on or off). I swapped power cables and ports on the power supply, still no change. The power supply and all of the cables still power all of my other pedals just fine. The odd thing...I pop a battery into the thing and it works just fine. The AC jack is good, and the electrolytics look okay, no burnt resistors or anything. So, anyone have a clue? I can't seem to find anything in the schematic that points to the AC power being routed differently than the battery power. If I don't get any answers, I'll probably replace all of the electrolytics and maybe the barrel jack and see where I get.

Thanks

Chad
Quote by kurtlives91
The port on the Voodoo power thing that was powering it at the time....does it work with other pedals? That port?

Yes, I tested that port with a Boss BD-2 and my home made tube screamer clone. Both worked just fine on that port with the same cable.
That's really weird....I thought maybe a power surge and the transformer for that port (if it uses individuals for each output) had blown or the filter cap had blown.

Maybe the filter cap in the TS. You could have knocked the DC socket...Those stock sockets are really weak.
Can't help you out, unless you wanna sell it... LMK if you can't figure it out. I love tinkering with stuff and would like to try my hand at fixing some broken pedals. Plus I'm broke and can't afford a working one
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Attach it to the power supply and check where you're getting 9v along the power chain. I'd especially be checking the filter caps and the voltage divider resistors.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by TwoString
Hello all...it's been a while, but I'm back with a problem.

About a week ago, I was playing through my rig and I heard a noise that sounded like a tire blowing out. My signal was completely cut off. I started going through my chain and checking pedals and cables and found out that my tube screamer (TS-9, about 8 years old, input cap, resistor and clipping diode mods) would not turn on. My entire pedalboard is powered via a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 unit. I took everything out of the signal chain except the TS and the pedal would still not turn on (since it is not true bypass, no signal will get through the pedal, on or off). I swapped power cables and ports on the power supply, still no change. The power supply and all of the cables still power all of my other pedals just fine. The odd thing...I pop a battery into the thing and it works just fine. The AC jack is good, and the electrolytics look okay, no burnt resistors or anything. So, anyone have a clue? I can't seem to find anything in the schematic that points to the AC power being routed differently than the battery power. If I don't get any answers, I'll probably replace all of the electrolytics and maybe the barrel jack and see where I get.

Thanks

Chad
I'd hold off on replacing caps, for the moment.

The positive terminal of the battery is wired through the external power jack.
So from the that jack to the board must be fine.

But the negative terminal of the battery goes to the signal input jack,
and gets connected to ground when the guitar cable is plugged in.
The negative of the external power takes a different path.

Check continuity from the negative of the external power jack to ground.
You might have a bad solder joint, bad external power jack,
or broken trace on the printed board.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'd hold off on replacing caps, for the moment.

The positive terminal of the battery is wired through the external power jack.
So from the that jack to the board must be fine.

But the negative terminal of the battery goes to the signal input jack,
and gets connected to ground when the guitar cable is plugged in.
The negative of the external power takes a different path.

Check continuity from the negative of the external power jack to ground.
You might have a bad solder joint, bad external power jack,
or broken trace on the printed board.

Good luck,
SYK

That sounds so logical, it just might work. Again, I'm amazed at your abilities. I'll check it out today after work.
UPDATE - just made another quick inspection of the pedal and noticed that the drive pot was loose. It had rotated a bit, which made the solder lug of the pot touch the body of the tone pot. I reset the pot and tightened things up. Back on the board and on AC power, the pedal is working again. I don't know if this is a fluke, but it really doesn't explain why I was having the problems I was having. Odd. We'll see if it dies again. Thanks for the help everyone.