I want to set myself a goal for sweep picking this year. I started seriously practicing it 2 days ago, and yesterday I wasn't home to practice much. I am up to 16th notes at 80bpm now with no problem. And I am practicing on clean so I can hear my mistakes. What do you think a realistic goal would be by the end of the year? Halfway through the year?
Just a warning: with sweeping you really have to practice it clean and dirty so you can hear if you're not muting properly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Muting? Aren't you supposed to just lift your finger? That is enough to kill the note.
Sometimes, when you get moving faster, you'll have to take your finger off really fucking fast and that will result in sound.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Muting? Aren't you supposed to just lift your finger? That is enough to kill the note.

Yeah, but you need to be absolutely sure that you're only playing one note at a time, and distortion will really help to make that distinction. Really, all techniques should be practiced with and without distortion. People always say that distortion masks mistakes (and to an extent, it does), but it also makes any muting problems or notes that shouldn't be heard, be heard.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
If your fingers are fast, you'll pick it up fast. In half a year, i went from nothing to triplets at 160 bpms, which is pretty decent I guess. Well at least for me it is. The hardest part of sweeping is understanding the sync motion, once you got that down, it gets easier and easier.
I actually picked up sweeping a hell of a lot faster than I did in getting my alternate picking to any speed, I've been sweeping maybe 6 months now in all and I can play stuff like the sweeps in Black Star and Altitudes nearly perfect

I think it's easy to learn as well because you can just sit doing the same shape over and over and it'll improve you at it, much like playing scales up and down the neck
Quote by Ubertron
I think it's easy to learn as well because you can just sit doing the same shape over and over and it'll improve you at it, much like playing scales up and down the neck

That's a good way to become a boring and predictable player though: you should practice all sorts of shapes for all sorts of different arpeggios; at the moment I'm trying to get the augmented shape down and using the C shape 5 string sweeps with different tapped notes on top to imply other chords.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.