I just bought an Ibanez s520ex guitar and Im looking for new pickups to make this baby sound bad ass. I've been playing for more than 5 years, I play mostly rock and metal to the likes of Metallica, Dream Evil, Sonata Arctica, Disturbed, Zakk Wylde, Dragonforce, etc. Nothing too hardcore. I currently the lead guitarist of a power metal band in the making.

Right now i'm looking at the Dimarzio Evolution 2, Dimarzio Xn2, and some seymour duncans. I also have EMGs and a Duncan Distortion on two of my other guitars, and since this guitar is really thin, i wouldn't want to risk cutting more wood out to fit a 9volt battery.

The guitar itself is an Ibanez S-series with a thin mahogany body, with a bolt on maple neck with rosewood fretboard. It's being plugged into a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with just one wah pedal in the mix.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Last edited by GuitarGodJames at Feb 19, 2008,
I just want to replace the stock pick ups that i have, which in my opinion sound a little muddy and not full enough, but still playable.
well, if this helps. I don't play in extremely low tunings, mainly standard tuning. The pick ups i have might compare to a passive emg hz, but i don't know for sure. I guess they're alright for cleans and hard rock, but i feel i'm still lacking tone as i compare them to EMGs and Seymour Duncan Distortions. I'm trying to obtain a good balanced standard metal tone. I tend to focus more on treble than bass since the rectifier produces a lot of bass. I want something that'll sound great on leads on rythym, especially if im plugged into a rectifier.
Last edited by GuitarGodJames at Feb 19, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Right. Well, what I'm getting at is...what would you your tone to sound like? I mean, I know that you play metal, but it also helps to know how you feel your tone is lacking.

Its lacking your mom.......

.....guess i'll be hitting that old dusty trail.
Quote by GuitarGodJames
well, if this helps. I don't play in extremely low tunings, mainly standard tuning. The pick ups i have might compare to a passive emg hz, but i don't know for sure. I guess they're alright for cleans and hard rock, but i feel i'm still lacking tone as i compare them to EMGs and Seymour Duncan Distortions. I'm trying to obtain a good balanced standard metal tone. I tend to focus more on treble than bass since the rectifier produces a lot of bass. I want something that'll sound great on leads on rythym, especially if im plugged into a rectifier.

Well, if you want treble....Evo's would be the way to go. I hate them, though.

Honestly, I think a great pickup for metal would be the Dimarzio Breed. It's a fat pickup, I'm not gonna lie, but you should try adjusting your treble/bass problem at the amp, anyway..
Also, maybe put in 1M pots instead of 500K? Cheap mod, might do the trick.
Follow your heart.
Your body has parts your country can spare! By the way son, here's your wheelchair!