I've been playing for a year on today... literallly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKzWGzsSrF4

Is this bad for an improvised lead?

Yes, i want attention, and yes i want an honest opinion, go ahead and say I suck. I'm not jimmy page or dimebag
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
Honestly wasn't a big fan. Not too say it was terrible or anything, it was pretty good for a year, it just sounded kind of dirty and spotty. I'm not entirely sure if that was because of your actual skill or the style you were playing.
i didnt like it. you sound boring

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

You'll have better luck here

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Just put it in the correct category, if it's a cover put it in covers, original, original, etc.

EDIT: To the video, Well, you have control of the guitar which is a good thing, for a year it's not that bad however it lacked of rhythm and feeling. But you will pick those up as time goes on, just keep with it at the rate your going at and be patient. Things like being a professional guitar player don't come in one year, but your on your way.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Feb 19, 2008,
judging by your fingering you at least know some scales. and youre on the right track, keep doin what your doin, it takes a LONG time to figure out your own style without blurring into someone elses. one piece of advice, use a metronome, it helps out alot more than you think
ive only been playin about a year and a half but i think you should learn some modes and different positions so you can solo in more than one position
Not bad I guess, but you should spice it up a little, maybe throw in some trills, tapping, and pinched harmonics.

Other than that, this is all I'll say to you. Upload more videos.
It was pretty good... if I were you though, I'd worried less about how what you're writing sounds, and more about your playing form. Just watching your fretting hand makes me think you've been focusing more on the music than how you play it?
well you just keep descending in the same scale with no real direction. It's not very good, but without hearing what it is you're improvising over in your head, and considering you've only been playing a year its not that bad either. keep playing, and use a metronome, drums, or backing track to have more fun with improvisations
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
You are a lot better than I was after only a year!
Good for your time, but here are some things to work on.

Your bending technique is bad. You accidentally hit a bunch of open strings when you bend and it sounds horrible. First of all, don't just bend with one finger, use two of three so it is easier to move the string. Also, you are bending the wrong way on the three highest strings. bend the string toward you not away.

Hope that helps.
umm.... you're all in the right scale, i'll give you that. but i couldn't find any emotion or feeling behind it. it sounded like... not rehearsed to a T, but still not fully soulful, and more of a demo of a scale than an actual song. its a good start tho.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
That works for me, I like criticism, so long as its constructive in some way. I don't exactly understand what makes up a good lead. How do i know where to move next on the fretboard so the position seems logical and sounds logical and deliberate?

you guys are being way too harsh, i couldnt do any **** liek that at one year of playing. my suggestion is that you pick easier stuff and make it sound good. its great that your learning scales, practice them slower and they will be more clean and precise. Also work on bends a little more. Your going a little too fast. I think you should keep working on your scales and pick an easier more melodic song to do for Youtube. And to the rest of the people here, give constructive critisism
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by fadedgrim
That works for me, I like criticism, so long as its constructive in some way. I don't exactly understand what makes up a good lead. How do i know where to move next on the fretboard so the position seems logical and sounds logical and deliberate?

did you just learn that one scale? when you learn scales there's usually different positions over the fretboard. play them as if its a circle. if you end at one scale you start another and you repeat that cycle. just not in an up down motion.
Quote by fadedgrim

You experiment, and play over different chord progressions, after a while you start to develop an ear for things like that. I can hear a chord progression now and instantly know different licks I can do over it to accommodate it, I know how to build a nice solo over it and although there are technical and theoretical things you can do, playing by ear and improvisation are very important. You will hear a line you play and know how to build off of it, whether the line was accidental or on purpose.

Remember though, breathing space in your solo is always good, you don't want it note after note, you want it to breath and flow. Maybe look into double stops.

Try recording a chord progression for yourself, and experiment with different scales over it, figure out what sounds good and what sounds terrible, and just keep soloing and improvising over the pattern, you'll start to develop an ear for those things. Remember to listen to other people play too, look into solo's of some of your favourite artists and take note of where they have a lot of their licks placed in their solos, look at how they use their double stops and bends. However my tip would be to experiment with things as much as possible, find a sound and style that you like, and although using your favourite artists for aide, don't replicate them, become your own.

Quote by Fuzzbox91
you guys are being way too harsh, i couldnt do any **** liek that at one year of playing. my suggestion is that you pick easier stuff and make it sound good. its great that your learning scales, practice them slower and they will be more clean and precise. Also work on bends a little more. Your going a little too fast. I think you should keep working on your scales and pick an easier more melodic song to do for Youtube. And to the rest of the people here, give constructive critisism

We aren't being harsh, we are telling him the truth. If we told him he was f'ing great how would he improve, he'd gain confidence and feel he didn't need to practice as much as he does anymore. Like it's evident that he's really been trying and he wants to improve but like honestly... like 1% of guitarists come out sounding amazing after their first year. And those people are people who have grown up around a musical family, and/or who play other instruments already.

Quote by Vale_Deo
It's pretty good for about a year. Try finding a jam track or something to put behind it. It is sloppy at some parts, so I think you ought to work on doing some picking exercises. 1234 1324, etc. etc. and gradually increasing speed. Some goals for the next year should be learning how to use the rest of the neck. Box patterns are great, but they WILL start sounding repetitive after a while, so start getting used to using the rest of the neck.

Also, not so many bends.

However experiment with bends, find their proper use. I use a lot of them but I know where to place them by now, I can listen to the song and know when to use them to add to the sound.

But I've been playing for 8 years.

Also, maybe look into theory too, I know I'm throwing a lot at you but if you want to find more places to play across the neck look at relative minors and majors. Meaning by example, D major scale on the neck can also be playing in the B minor position.

Have you ever thought about getting lessons? That could really bring your potential out and it's easier to ask questions that way. Maybe find some friends to jam with, friends can be good if you have chord progressions to bring out, or just to experiment with things.
Here is my honest criticism. I am not trying to be a dick...but:

I honest to God thought it sounded like sh**. Even with a decent tone...Although I still think that wouldn't have improved anything. There wasn't any sense of melody, hell...I couldn't even make out a proper lick out of the whole thing. All I heard was some jumbled notes.
Be cool.
It's pretty good for about a year. Try finding a jam track or something to put behind it. It is sloppy at some parts, so I think you ought to work on doing some picking exercises. 1234 1324, etc. etc. and gradually increasing speed. Some goals for the next year should be learning how to use the rest of the neck. Box patterns are great, but they WILL start sounding repetitive after a while, so start getting used to using the rest of the neck.

Also, not so many bends.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
ive been playing a long time, and i think this year ill probably be voted "nicest member" again.

im saying this because i dont want you to think im being an ass.

i couldnt watch the whole clip. it's not because you arent good for 1 year.
you've obviously been practicing.

but you need to slow down, and feel the notes.
then you will captivate the listener, as they attempt to anticipate where you are going in ur song.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The riffs were cool, but they had no soul, knowwhadImean?
Expand your playing beyond that scale pattern. Learn the different scale positions (may not be technical term) in that key, and just improv from there. It takes some work to learn new positions when you're so used to just running up and down the strings in the same fretboard position, but when you learn new positions, your improvs and solos expand with it.
Overall, you have potential. I felt like your bends were a little off though. And it may be my speakers, but your tone sounded thin.
I've been playing for 9 months, and I was about at your level a month ago, then I started learning new scale positions, then my solos became much more interesting a couple times over.
Anyways, keep it up, don't be afraid to get your feet wet in different techniques, and keep on rockin.

~DAB7
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
overall not too bad at 1 year man. My only suggestions besides keeping it up would be that you don't have to bend all the notes by pulling down on them.. especially on the g,b and e strings, try pushing them up and using your hand and wrist to get those shakes and bends. You'll have more control and strength to do so...

and also, I think your fretting hand is attacking the strings at too much of a direct angle, try flattening out and relaxing the hand a bit and not by jabbing your finger tips into the strings. You're fretting hand is very tense and really gnarled when fretting...

just my 2 cents
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by jj1565
ive been playing a long time, and i think this year ill probably be voted "nicest member" again.

im saying this because i dont want you to think im being an ass.

i couldnt watch the whole clip. it's not because you arent good for 1 year.
you've obviously been practicing.

but you need to slow down, and feel the notes.
then you will captivate the listener, as they attempt to anticipate where you are going in ur song.

What kind of music do you like? Because I feel the same way, I don't know if it's a side effect of being a blues player, but I love long notes and I love it when the solo's breath, Myself I'm not a fan of shredding and all that but I understand it does appeal to some people.

I'm going to say too, that sticking to metal is okay, but I would recommend expanding to other styles as well, (blues, jazz). I'm not saying you have to play these but what you learn from these styles you can also incorporate into whatever style you are playing and you will learn many useful techniques and licks from these styles.

^To what the guy above me said.

....Breath, and stay relaxed, if you have to be all tense when you are playing then you are doing it wrong, play at a tempo that is comfortable for you. Sure, playing fast is hard, but so is playing slow, you will learn things from both. And speed will only come with practice and time, not everyone is born with incredible stamina.
i play a ton of blues... its relaxing... i just figured the fast playing was what most people are interested lately.... i may have to record my playing of some blues... its a bit better.

sorry mate didnt like it, try listening 2 some dave gilmour and bend with more than 1 finger. it helps
You experiment, and play over different chord progressions, after a while you start to develop an ear for things like that. I can hear a chord progression now and instantly know different licks I can do over it to accommodate it, I know how to build a nice solo over it and although there are technical and theoretical things you can do, playing by ear and improvisation are very important. You will hear a line you play and know how to build off of it, whether the line was accidental or on purpose.

Remember though, breathing space in your solo is always good, you don't want it note after note, you want it to breath and flow. Maybe look into double stops.

Try recording a chord progression for yourself, and experiment with different scales over it, figure out what sounds good and what sounds terrible, and just keep soloing and improvising over the pattern, you'll start to develop an ear for those things. Remember to listen to other people play too, look into solo's of some of your favourite artists and take note of where they have a lot of their licks placed in their solos, look at how they use their double stops and bends. However my tip would be to experiment with things as much as possible, find a sound and style that you like, and although using your favourite artists for aide, don't replicate them, become your own.

We aren't being harsh, we are telling him the truth. If we told him he was f'ing great how would he improve, he'd gain confidence and feel he didn't need to practice as much as he does anymore. Like it's evident that he's really been trying and he wants to improve but like honestly... like 1% of guitarists come out sounding amazing after their first year. [/qoute]

i was reffering to the people saying "you suck" and thats it. I wasnt saying it was great, it was sloppy and non rythmic, but i gave constructive cricism and told him things he can do to improve it and stuff like that. And your right, barley anyone sounds amazing after the first year.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
First of all i'll admit i suck balls on guitar but thats cuz i've played guitar for 2 months

but i have 12 years of music history piano, trombone, and recently drums so i know a good but about how to play music. and the best advice i've ever heard is this: "anyone can learn to PLAY a song but its not music until you can FEEL the song"

Second learn to play more than one scale or riff. No song has only a intro or only a verse. it has a intro, verse, chorus, bridge and ending so vary it up a bit.

Also the other people are right theory is very important. if you know it you can learn anything if you don't want to learn it go ahead and find another hobby.

To finish off you need to make sure you practice your technique right. Practice make permanent not perfect. Also if you hit a rough spot seek help from friends family or mentors cuz without help your f*ucked over to hell.

Stick with it and have fun
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by fadedgrim
i play a ton of blues... its relaxing... i just figured the fast playing was what most people are interested lately.... i may have to record my playing of some blues... its a bit better.

yeah if you have any, put it up. id like to hear.

and Athen... ive been playing acoustic a lot lately. rock, alternative, anything that swings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The playing was bleh, most probably because that was your one and only take and that you also had a bad day.

Sometimes there are days where I play bad and days where my playing actually sounds like something. What I like is the speed you play. When I try to play that fast, it sounds boring.
Not bad for 1 year. But it just didn't seem like your notes were going anywhere. Try doing some short little licks/phrases over a drum track or something.
People need to get it through their head that the length of time you've been playing has very little to do with skill. I know kids that have played for 2 years that could blow people going on 10 away, I also know people that have played 2 years that suck. It depends on how much you practice, and how much natural affinity you have for guitar (not saying that guitarists are born to be good or bad, we all know that's bull****.)

You my friend, need more practice.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Last edited by BrokenBricks at Feb 20, 2008,