I have a coil tap on my bridge humbucker and I'm thinking of replacing my stock pickups with a new set of Seymours or DiMarzio's. When I do is it much of a job to get a coil tap added to the front humbucker too?

The way I would like it to work is to use the existing pull/push on the tone pot and the selector switch so that I can have both tapped but flick between them?
Quote by guitarnoize
The way I would like it to work is to use the existing pull/push on the tone pot and the selector switch so that I can have both tapped but flick between them?
That's confusing. I don't know exactly what you're asking.

I also don't know what make/model of guitar,
or pickup configuration,
or wiring.

HH?

HSH?

3-way Gibson style selector?

3-way Fender style selector?

5-way Fender style selector?

5-way SuperSwitch?

This all makes a difference in what is possible.

Quote by guitarnoize
I have a coil tap on my bridge humbucker and I'm thinking of replacing my stock pickups with a new set of Seymours or DiMarzio's. When I do is it much of a job to get a coil tap added to the front humbucker too?
Most push-pull pots have a DPDT switch.
Using that to split both HBs is easy as pie.
The new HB will have to have an external connection to the series link.
But most HBs sold do have 4-wire connections, so the link is external.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Whoops sorry I forgot to include all the important info! Thanks for your response though, it is a Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage guitar with a Gibson style 3 way selector and 2 humbuckers.

As for my confusing description I'll try again, it seemed clear as I was typing but not when I read it back! If I pull the button to have the coil tap on and then switch the selector to the other humbucker I want the new selected humbucker to be coil tapped too.
Last edited by guitarnoize at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by guitarnoize
Whoops sorry I forgot to include all the important info! Thanks for your response though, it is a Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage guitar with a Gibson style 3 way selector and 2 humbuckers.
Assuming that you have a DPDT switch on your push-pull pot (most do),
then you can wire it so that both HBs are split to Single Coil mode when the knob pulled.
Your selector will choose between Neck, Both, or Bridge pickups in single coil mode.
Push the knob and the selections are the same, except the pickups are normal HB.

Quote by guitarnoize
...I'm thinking of replacing my stock pickups with a new set of Seymours or DiMarzio's....
Make sure of the wiring when you buy the new pickups.
Most of Seymour's and Larry's (passive) HB pickups are 4 wire. A few aren't.

In the chart linked below,
the Seth Lover and '59 models are examples of Seymour's HB pickups that can't be split.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Feb 20, 2008,
Great! thanks for all the info! I'll make sure I get the 4 wire then, I'm going to get someone like Sydney guitar repairs to do the installation rather than do it myself as I don't know what I'm doing. I'll let you know how I go! thanks again