hey guys, right now i have my action set at 2mm, thats the measurement between the top of the 12th fret and the string, its 2mm at the low E and also the high E, and thats pretty high, but when i lower it at all, the frets buzz right at the 6th and 7th fret, but no where else. When i press down the 1st and 12th fret to check the truss rod adjustment, theres a very tiny gap right at the 6th fret, and i mean tiny, do i need to add a tad more relief if i want to lower my action and have no buzz? by the way its a Ibanez RGT42DX
sounds like it to me.

if you want, you can check to see if a credit card fits in that space. if not, turn the truss rod 1/4" COUNTER clockwise, that's a very small amount.

dont force the turn. and dont adjust it again tonight. as it will settle for hours.

remeasure it later, see if there;s more room at the 6th.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
and and also are you sure 1/4th of a turn isnt to much? from what i have read they recomend 1/8 at a time, and you have to loosen the strings first correct?
I don't think it's a good idea to do more than 1/8" turn..... I also think it's a good idea to loosen the strings as well, just understand that the string tension will have an effect after the adjustment..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
you can loosen strings, if you think you might snap a string, but ur are adding bend, so you dont have to worry.

unless you cant get to the truss rod nut. but make sure you retune right after the adjustment.

and 1/4" is fine, two 1/8" turns will probably be needed. but you can do one now, remeasure and do another one in an hour or so.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

allright guys i loosened it about 1/6 of a turn and i can allready notice a slight difference, now i just gotta wait a while. a business card will fit under it now.
just make sure it's tuned. taking your time is the most important part.

it'll settle most of the night.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Do you loosen the strings to turn the truss rod and then directly after re-apply the tension to the strings?
depends. i usually suggest that first time "turners", slacken them a bit.

as i've had a couple of guys pop a string. but that's really for fixed bridges and a when the neck needs to be straightened.

but, a lot of times a little slack helps gain access to the truss rod nut. that's really important especailly for first timers, because yu need to make sure, you are using the right sized wrench, and arent over turning.

in this case, i purposely omitted that part of the instruction because i mistakenly assumed he had a floyd. ibanez guitar models always F me up, because they just number the whole bunch. either way, adding bend shouldnt ever pop a string, it;s just an extra precaution.

anyway. ALWAYS retune right after or the neck will relax all over again with no tension on it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62