Page 1 of 2
What is the best guitar with a whammy bar? One that costs 400 dollars or below, preferably. I want one that I can shred with... Right now I'm looking at the Ibanez AFS75TD, but it just looks like its not made for shredding...
ur not gonna find that for 400...

you'll have to spend at least 800 to get a ibanez with an edge trem. but those are crap, so you're lookin at maybe a grand to get one with a floyd rose
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
ibanez would be the best for that price, just because you want the floyd rose... if you are willing to spend like up to 1200, look at dean or jackson
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by icon_player_5

you'll have to spend at least 800 to get a ibanez with an edge trem. but those are crap, so you're lookin at maybe a grand to get one with a floyd rose

That guitar is on sale at guitar center for exactly 399.99...

Anyway, what is a floyd rose? I'm about at intermediate level... I don't need something super special, just a good-sounding guitar with a whammy bar... One that sounds good when you're shredding.
Quote by icon_player_5

No, the Edge III is crap. The Edge Pro on the other hand (the one that comes on the $750 RG1570), is top-notch.
esp has some ltd's in that price range and they would have better trems than ibanez
also they are definitely built for shredding
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by BAoxymoron
esp has some ltd's in that price range and they would have better trems than ibanez
also they are definitely built for shredding

where can i find those at? link please?
i would recomend getting an ibanez with the edge III then upgrading it when you get the money saved up for an offical floyd rose
Look guys, it doesn't have to be high quality... Like I said... I'm a beginner-to-intermediate player... I don't have to have top-of-the-line quality...
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by BAoxymoron

Those are all made of agathis.

Quote by ArgonautJason
Look guys, it doesn't have to be high quality... Like I said... I'm a beginner-to-intermediate player... I don't have to have top-of-the-line quality...

You don't want a piece of shit that you'll want to replace in a few years either. Look, for $100 more you can have a MUCH better guitar with an excellent tremolo.
i know but its LTD not ESP what do you expect. i'm just saying they are better than ibanez.
-George Will

Quote by BAoxymoron
i know but its LTD not ESP what do you expect. i'm just saying they are better than ibanez.

Quote by Rules: How To Give Advice
Don't know? Don't post.
what do you mean by that i like esp more so what
-George Will

Topic starter,
Dont listen to some of these guys. The best guitar in your price range would be the Ibanez RG350. It has an Edge III, yes its not the best, but it will do for now till your ready to upgrade to a higher end guitar, Its not gonna break on you like all these bias edge III idiots say it will. Maybe it will if you swing your guitar around the room by the whammy bar though. Ive dealt with plenty of Edge III's and they are fine for an intermediate guitar. Just be gentle with it(dont do "dragonforce" moves on it.)
The next step up would be an Ibanez Prestige, which has an Edge Pro, (or edge zero now) and they are really good tremolo's, but for now stick witht he EDGE III if your stuck to that price range.
Hope this helped you man!
Edge III is not that bad as long as you know how to setup floating trems and don't mind doing it repeatedly
-George Will

^ I'd say the better option would be getting the Ibanez I recommended. He won't need any upgrades (possibly pickups later on).

Ibanez I recommended+$150 pickups=$650
Ibanez RG350+$150 pickups+$180 FR=$730
(Approximation)
Licensed trems are sketchy business. Honestly, save your money for something really nice. I doubt the fact that you're going to be touring or anything, so there's no rush.

When my guitar balls were dropping I wasted so much money on 400-700 dollar guitars, when if I would have just practiced on one and saved money, I could have gotten my baby much MUCH sooner.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by BrokenBricks
Licensed trems are sketchy business. Honestly, save your money for something really nice. I doubt the fact that you're going to be touring or anything, so there's no rush.

When my guitar balls were dropping I wasted so much money on 400-700 dollar guitars, when if I would have just practiced on one and saved money, I could have gotten my baby much MUCH sooner.

That is the best idea but i got the impression he need a new guitar now
-George Will

Quote by BAoxymoron
That is the best idea but i got the impression he need a new guitar now

Yeah, I got some of that vibe. Still though, unless he's seriously booked, he should save that money.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by BAoxymoron
Edge III is not that bad as long as you know how to setup floating trems and don't mind doing it repeatedly

What do you mean by "floating"?
Ok, say for example I bought a Firebird, which does not have a whammy bar or w/e. Is it possible for me to buy a whammy bar that I can put on the Firebird?
Quote by icon_player_5

Bull****. Ibanez edge and edge pro trems are awesome, worth it for sure.*(The edge trems at 800 I mean, edge III and others suck in comparison)

And looking used is a good solution for a high quality locking trem, even then you are looking at 550-600 for a guitar with a good locking trem.
try getting an mexican stratocaster(fender) with an humbucker, its real versatile and has a whammy bar, not a floyd rose, but still good. it goes out of tune when you use the whammy bar but at least its not a huge hassle when u break a string unlike floyd roses
edit: also about buying a guitar without a whammy bar and putting one on dont even bother, you can do it but you might have to cut holes in the guitar, install it, wire it, test, and its such a big hassle
Last edited by ironman1478 at Feb 20, 2008,
Do you really need the whammy bar. You'll get much better tone with a tunematic bridge, and there are really good ones for shred at that price point. If you wanna get really good picking technique get something with thick strings. THat will give you some chops man. It will be harder to shred, but it will make you a real fast and accurate playing, with excellent picking stability.
Look for a used Ibanez 550 on ebay.

You might also find a few Ibanez 350's with upgraded tremolos.

I have an Ibanez 320FM with an Edge Pro, erock was going to sell it for about $400, we made a trade on it. Anyways, if someone else out there is willing to sell a modded 350 series, chances are it's going to be pretty cheap.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If you can afford the Ibanez RG1570 you should go for it. That's the best whammy equipped guitar for the money IMO.
Why not get an Ibanez RG 350, and if the knife edge on that wears out or you don't like the feel of it drop in an Original Floyd Rose. I recall someone from Harmony Central saying those fit right into the mounts for the Edge 3
Quote by ArgonautJason
That guitar is on sale at guitar center for exactly 399.99...

Anyway, what is a floyd rose? I'm about at intermediate level... I don't need something super special, just a good-sounding guitar with a whammy bar... One that sounds good when you're shredding.

Well intermediate level =/= shredding, and that guitar is a piece of ****. Look into used guitars or raise your price range.
Dickless.
Quote by ironman1478
try getting an mexican stratocaster(fender) with an humbucker, its real versatile and has a whammy bar, not a floyd rose, but still good. it goes out of tune when you use the whammy bar but at least its not a huge hassle when u break a string unlike floyd roses
edit: also about buying a guitar without a whammy bar and putting one on dont even bother, you can do it but you might have to cut holes in the guitar, install it, wire it, test, and its such a big hassle

I was going to suggest that, or the TS could get one with a floyd rose installed for $500
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by nyandres
Do you really need the whammy bar. You'll get much better tone with a tunematic bridge, and there are really good ones for shred at that price point. If you wanna get really good picking technique get something with thick strings. THat will give you some chops man. It will be harder to shred, but it will make you a real fast and accurate playing, with excellent picking stability.

1st sentence, good. 2nd sentence, downhill, after that

The thicker strings won't make him more accurate or faster. All it'll do is make his picking attack heavier and more perscussive. he'll get a better finger strength after the harder bending but if he goes back down to lighter strings he runs the risk of overbending by accident. And if he doesn't change back then it will have been no different had he stayed on the same gauge of strings that he was using in the first place.

The only reason IMO to change string gauges is to tune differently.

TS I'd advise you to get an RG321, it hasn't got a whammy bar but it does have a nice thin neck which most people prefer for shredding. The whammy bar, unless you know what you're looking for and you know you will use it, is an unnecessary requirement. considering you're beginner-intermediate, I'd concentrate more on getting the basics down before you start learning the tricks. But if you MUST get a guitar with a whammy on it, I'd suggest the relevant Ibanez S series guitar (the s320 I think). It has a decent quality whammy and if you get sick of having to set it up, you can lock it into place, effectively making it a hard tail.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by animainmachina
Why not get an Ibanez RG 350, and if the knife edge on that wears out or you don't like the feel of it drop in an Original Floyd Rose. I recall someone from Harmony Central saying those fit right into the mounts for the Edge 3

Thats not a bad route to take but, wouldn't it be easier to go ahead and buy one with a better tremolo in the first place. Say an RG550.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by ArgonautJason
What do you mean by "setting it up" ??

before I start, I'd just point out that tremolo is another terms for the whammy bar. A floyd rose (a type of floating Tremolo, which is common on 'shred' guitars) needs to be balance in order for it to 'float'. getting it to balance is hard enough but getting it balanced at the correct tuning is quite difficult if you aren't experienced. When you change the tuning of one string the other strings are affected as the overall string tension (which needs to balance against the spring tension) changes.

There's a sticky at the top of the forum which is a guide to setting up this type of tremolo.

However if you just mean a non floating tremolo like the ones on fender strats then they're easier to set up as they don't have to be balanced (you can but you don't have to). If that's what you want, I'd advise looking at the MIM strats. HSS will give you the most versatility.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Still, what do you mean by "floating"? Is it when the bar just hangs there, and swings back and forth?
Quote by ArgonautJason
Still, what do you mean by "floating"? Is it when the bar just hangs there, and swings back and forth?

Learn more about tremolos before you buy one. I believe there are stickies.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Learn more about tremolos before you buy one. I believe there are stickies.

+1

If you still want a floating bridge then, the Ibanez I recommended will be best. ZR bridges are great.
Quote by crust_punk
+1

If you still want a floating bridge then, the Ibanez I recommended will be best. ZR bridges are great.

No they aren't, mine's riddled with problems.
Dickless.
Page 1 of 2