Alright everyone, here's the deal. I just found out I have about 600$ more than I thought I had, and It can be spent. However, as I'm trying to save up money for a move, I'm only gonna spend about 3-400 dollars on a new bass amp, since my Peavey TKO 80 is hinting to me that it's on its last legs.

So I've done a little research, and although they still have to go through the playing test, here are the two bass amps I'm looking at.

Ampeg BA115
Peavey MAX 115

Now, if anyone else has any suggestions for other Amps in this price range/ style that aren't too much more expensive, I would be happy to hear them and consider them. Please don't go suggesting I buy a 700$ or more amp. In fact, try to keep it under 450 (since I am considering the Tube variant of the BA115) At the moment, I'm really leaning hard on the Peavey, since my TKO has been good to me. And it's cheaper by $70 to $170 from a company I already trust. But since i haven't gone playtesting yet, I may hate it, so I want to play on as many different types as possible when I go.

Alright guys, show me what you got. For those of you frightened by the text here's the mission summary.

New Amp
$250 - $450
Nice? I would like a nice sounding amp.
suitable for five string bass, as well as chords/ upper frets. (I am eclectic...)

Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.
i dont know what specific model it is that my friend ryan has, but i know that it is a GK stack, i think its 115 and i dont know the wattage, but i know it wasnt too expensive, the speaker looks really cool because its sorta like copper looking. it sounds amazing for every style, and he plays jazz, punk, metal, everything. ill try to find out real fast and repost lol.
ok the cab is a
Gallien-Krueger Goldline 115GLX-II
im not sure on the head though
100 watts, will leave you wanting more. That is my problem with the BA-115. But, that is a big problem.

Stay away from Behringer, and if you like the sound, get it. Carvin is also one to look at, though once again it will be a little over your budget.
Cool guys, thanks. I'm also looking at the Ashdown electric Blue E-180 now. You guys made my decision harder, but in a good way.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

That Ashdown's pretty good. I don't think the Ampeg should be on your list though, it's pretty overpriced, underpowered, and the tweeter's horrible.

The Peavey definitely won't let you down, it's a solid amp!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
If your at the point to where your going to spend 400 bucks I would recomend a head and cabinet setup. And something used, maybe from ebay or craigslist. New things are nice but used things give you more for your money, but make sure you get something thats used and not abused.

I'd try stay away from a 15 if your doing chords and higher stuff, a 4x12 or 2x12 cab will work.
im not sure if you can buy crate in the land of the dollar but theyre really good and if youre doing high end playing then they will give you a great punchiness

you should be able 2 pick up a 100 watt 15 inch combo for about $300 over there

all the best
I would add the Ashdown would be a maximum 5 or 10 watts bigger than the Ampeg out of the box. You need an extension cabinet to get the full 180 watts.

And for 400 you wont get a head and cab you'll really enjoy.
Quote by Nebblacktip
Cool guys, thanks. I'm also looking at the Ashdown electric Blue E-180 now. You guys made my decision harder, but in a good way.

go for it. I have the EB 130w version (before the upgrade), and it is amazing. The tone is better than any amps I've tried (aside from a markbass and Hartke 4x10 stacks), it doesnt give out at higher volumes, and its got a good amount of features. The upgraded one (180w) cant be much worse.

If you can, you might want to look into this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C115300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485032 Its the next up above the EB series, and from what I can tell its better. Features look almost the same, but its got more wattage and a fan.
live to jam and jam to live
Quote by 4 string man

If you can, you might want to look into this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C115300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485032 Its the next up above the EB series, and from what I can tell its better. Features look almost the same, but its got more wattage and a fan.

Interesting. I had never heard of Ashdown before I began this search, but now I'm pretty interested. I especially like the fact that you can plug the combo into another cab apparently. The problem with this one is that I would probably wait till after I move to get it, and by then I might be able to just afford a much nicer amp.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is it really worth buying an amp in this price range? or should I just wait and save up another couple hundred dollars and go for a massive upgrade? Like Indian Rock Star said, is 100 watts really gonna leave me wanting more?

Still, if the answer is no, it looks like I'll be deciding between the Peavey and the Ashdown. Neither of which appear to be available readily in my town. which is about the epitome of suck, I tell ya.
Quote by AngelOfHatred

From experience, 100W will definitely leave you wanting more. If you're jamming w/ guitarists that have any more than 50W combo amps, then you're going to wish you had around 200W, because you're going to be cranking that 100W amp to its limits and clipping it out all the time and still struggle to hear yourself.