It's simple enough to stay in key when playing single notes on a scale, but perhaps I want to create a chord progression on my loop station and then solo on top of it. The trick is to keep the CHORDS in key I'm assuming, then solo on top of it in the same key. Anyways, the problem here is keeping a chord progression in key. I understand how to do this with the major scales (the whole "maj, min, min, maj, maj, min, dim" pattern). However, this still leaves many other scales un-accounted for.

For example: I love me some minor pentatonic scale (I'm kind of a beginner, and this scale is piss easy). How would I go about writing a chord progression that would sound nice in say... E minor pentatonic? Is there any way to do this in your head (without years and years of practice) or do I need to write down scales and pick notes and crap out of it on paper?

Same question for any other scale.
Maybe a E Minor chord Progression? I don`t know, I`m still a newbelint when it comes to guitar lol
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
it isnt that hard to write down. i just started making progressions and i just have all the scales written out next to my amp. (i dont like thinking very much)
they call og or nothing at all!!
Quote by haggin13
it isnt that hard to write down. i just started making progressions and i just have all the scales written out next to my amp. (i dont like thinking very much)

Is writing it down and looking at charts the only way to make a chord progression? I mean surely, a chord progression can be improvised and still be in key without a TON of knowledge and memorization.
I think learning to create Major scales and their relative minor scales based on intervals is easy. It shouldn't take long to learn, and the more you practice it the easier it becomes.

Check out a local bookstore and pick up a beginner's music theory book, and spend a little time reading it. I picked one up and had it down in about a week.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
As long as it follows the basic progression pattern then it'll sound ok. You can't just randomly switch chords and expect it to sound good.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
As long as it follows the basic progression pattern then it'll sound ok. You can't just randomly switch chords and expect it to sound good.

Could you explain this better?