http://youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E&feature=related

This is just ridiculous! I actually find this hilarious! I mean I get what John Cage was trying to get across, but why do you need a full orchestral version for this?

It's a song called 4 minutes 33 Seconds by John Cage.

Watch it and tell me what you think.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Yes, we've all "heard" John Cage's 4'33.

The period in which that was wrote was a very experimental period for classical composers.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
Yes, we've all "heard" John Cage's 4'33.

The period in which that was wrote was a very experimental period for classical composers.

I find it more pretentious than experimental.

And it's not just this song. It's the orchestral version of it!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Wow, thats... Interesting
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
So wait, its just silence?
Thats annoying.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
rofl someone sneezed
damn now they all did it
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I find it more pretentious than experimental

That's blasphemy!

...it's supposed to be just for piano

Actually, here's why he wrote it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2aYT1Pwp30M

"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason."
~John Cage~
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I find it more pretentious than experimental.

Well then all experimental music is pretentious.

Have you heard "Threnody To The Victims Of Hiroshima"?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave
That's blasphemy!

...it's supposed to be just for piano

Actually, here's why he wrote it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2aYT1Pwp30M

"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason."
~John Cage~

Yeah
he is a total pretentious dick
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by Ez0ph
Yeah
he is a total pretentious dick

A lot of people mistake having eclectic views as being pretentious. You are one of those people.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave
A lot of people mistake having eclectic views as being pretentious. You are one of those people.

Trust me, I love eclectic views, and I usually love pretentious music.
But I listen to music to get away from the sound of traffic.
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
The song is supposed to expand people's minds to the possibility that music might not just be notes on a page or a guitar or whatever. The music is whatever sound is around you. Hence when he unveiled the piece, all the noise in the theater was considered part of the piece. Someone sneezing, a page rustling, a cough, etc, was all part of it.

I like the idea, even if he did do it really pretentiously.
Quote by Magero
The song is supposed to expand people's minds to the possibility that music might not just be notes on a page or a guitar or whatever. The music is whatever sound is around you. Hence when he unveiled the piece, all the noise in the theater was considered part of the piece. Someone sneezing, a page rustling, a cough, etc, was all part of it.

I agree that it can still be called music
but that doesn't mean its good music
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Now I don't want to start a whole "Define Music" thing, but I still have no idea how that can be called "music".
Quote by Doppelgänger
Now I don't want to start a whole "Define Music" thing, but I still have no idea how that can be called "music".

Music is, im pretty sure, the mixture of sound and silence. No matter if its all silence, or whatever kind of sound it is.
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by Magero

I like the idea of not saying that music is just notes. The definition of music is organized sound, but there was no organized sound there. Just random sound. Now if John Cage wrote a song in which he tells people to sneeze and cough at different times I'd call that music.

I like his planned stuff.
Quote by Ez0ph
Music is, im pretty sure, the mixture of sound and silence. No matter if its all silence, or whatever kind of sound it is.

lol thats what wikipedia says
Quote by myself101
Well then all experimental music is pretentious.

Have you heard "Threnody To The Victims Of Hiroshima"?

Now that was amazing. Not pretentious at all.

And I'm not being sarcastic about that.
Quote by Ez0ph

Well, no. For me, "music" is an arrangement of organized sounds (or lack of).
4'33 certainly is not organized. It's just a collection of random sounds(or once again, lack of).
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Now that was amazing. Not pretentious at all.

And I'm not being sarcastic about that.

You should listen to his piece "Litany for the Whale"

Fucking awesome.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by Doppelgänger
Well, no. For me, "music" is an arrangement of organized sounds (or lack of).
4'33 certainly is not organized. It's just a collection of random sounds.

well then what about avant garde or improvised music. random isnt really random anymore once its recorded. and no music is always played the same.
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by Ez0ph
well then what about avant garde or improvised music. random isnt really random anymore once its recorded. and no music is always played the same.

It's still organized in some way, isn't it? It's not just random notes.
Quote by Doppelgänger

"It was at Harvard not quite forty years ago that I went into an anechoic [totally silent] chamber not expecting in that silent room to hear two sounds: one high, my nervous system in operation, one low, my blood in circulation. The reason I did not expect to hear those two sounds was that they were set into vibration without any intention on my part. That experience gave my life direction, the exploration of nonintention. No one else was doing that. I would do it for us. I did not know immediately what I was doing, nor, after all these years, have I found out much. I compose music. Yes, but how? I gave up making choices. In their place I put the asking of questions."
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by Doppelgänger

But it someone recorded just random notes wouldnt it still be music? Whether or not it sounds good
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by Ez0ph
But it someone recorded just random notes wouldnt it still be music? Whether or not it sounds good

I don't know.

It's late here, and I don't feel up for the argument.
I think it is more odd that they applaud to nothing. Indeed.

And the commentary... about silence and coughing. You know it's bad when the commentator's talk about coughing and electronic buzzing.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by Doppelgänger
I don't know.

It's late here, and I don't feel up for the argument.

lol i understand
the concept of music is hard to really define in the first place
lets leave it as a matter of opinion
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"