I have been playing the guitar for 3 years now and its time for an upgrade. Should i upgrade my guitar or amp first? Only have about $600-$700 to spend. I currently have

Line 6 Spider II 30 Guitar Amplifier (30 Watts, 1x12 in.)
Ibanez ICX220
Upgrade amp first.
The amp is responsible for 80% or more of your tone.
The guitar can come later if needed.
get a new guitar. i have a esp ec1000. great fisrt big guitar buy. love the guitat. it was 850$. if your serious about guitar make sure to fork up enough money to get what you want it is well worth it
Gibson Explorer

Steve Vai Wah
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss Super Overdrive
Big Muff (american)
Small Clone
Super Octave
Sonic Stomp

1986 Jcm-800 4210
Next up: a fully customized Warmoth
Quote by dazednconfu5ed
get a new guitar. i have a esp ec1000. great fisrt big guitar buy. love the guitat. it was 850$. if your serious about guitar make sure to fork up enough money to get what you want it is well worth it

No.

Dont a new guitar if you are happy with your current one.

You wont believe the difference in tone you will get if you buy a new amp
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Moe.
Upgrade amp first.

Moe knows.

Ya I rhymed like that. As long as you have a guitar that stays in tune and is comfortable to play, spend all of that money on an amp. ****, I would even advice you to save a bit more and go all the way for something top of the line.

You don't wanna be in a position where you want to seriously gig in a year or two, and realize you could have put out $400 or $600 more to have something epic.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by Moe.
Upgrade amp first.

+1

as most here will agree, the amp is more important. A Spider is definitly not you best bet as your main amp if you enjoy good tone. amp first.

Styles, genres...??
new amp moe is right
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
The amp...playing style (for suggestions)?
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Save more money. Get a nice head and a 2x12, or a nice combo if that's your thing.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Quote by BrokenBricks
Save more money. Get a nice head and a 2x12, or a nice combo if that's your thing.

$700 can get you a nice combo...Used Marshall or, what I have - Traynor YCV 50 has never let me down and I've never heard really any complaints about them (for those of us who play blues/classic rock/nothing with "death" or "core" in it).
Gibson Les Paul Classic

Quote by Dee'snutz
EDIT: NO!

You are going to regret either of those so bad.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Pass.
Don't need them, it'd be no upgrade to the spider.
What music do you play?
100$ more and get this i really liked when i tried it out in my guitar center
ValveKing(R) 212 Combo
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by BrokenBricks
Moe knows.

Ya I rhymed like that. As long as you have a guitar that stays in tune and is comfortable to play, spend all of that money on an amp. ****, I would even advice you to save a bit more and go all the way for something top of the line.

You don't wanna be in a position where you want to seriously gig in a year or two, and realize you could have put out $400 or $600 more to have something epic.

exactally what i would say!!

save up and get a 4x12 so you will be set for a long time.
i could live without a few of my guitars, but i CAN NOT live with out my 4X12 cab!

but if you don't plan on gigging and a 4x12 setup is a little much and u like ur amp, then just get what ever.
definitely an amp,
reason 1: your guitar right now is better than your amp also
reason 2: 30 watt spider isn't good for gigging, even the 75 watts sounds bad gigging (theyre better for practice)
reason 3: a good amp is a better investment, it has a much bigger impact on your tone and you can gig and make money to buy a new guitar if it matters that much to you
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
It has been said...DON'T GET AN MG!!! Tube amp is the goal here.
Check craigslist. Check ebay. Check your local stores for used ones.

This amp is a baller: http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=318

EDIT: Higher gain metal isn't this amp's specialty...It can get there but a Peavey or a Mesa would probably suit you better.
Gibson Les Paul Classic

Quote by Dee'snutz
what the **** is wrong with marshall tube amps
-George Will

dude your playing a lin 6 shut the **** up and get better taste
-George Will

OP, if you're venturing into classical playing, an amp is not what you should be worrying about. Since metal is the only other genre you listed, save your money and get an ENGL fireball and a 2x12

Won't take up that much space, you could get head and the cab for $1500 NEW (if you lurk on ebay or craigslist you could probably even get it for $1000) and the tone sounds like the devil orgasming

EDIT: Fireball is also 60watts, which would be a lot easier to push to get good tube-tone in a club or practice setting. 100watts is honestly way too much, but we have pete townshend to thank for that. English bastards.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Quote by BAoxymoron
dude your playing a lin 6 shut the **** up and get better taste

Dude,You can't even spell line 6..
And he's also playing out of a FM212r with pedals.

TS: Do a bit of saving and some more research, it'll come in handy.
Sorry BAoxymoron, there seems to be a miscomunication here. I was telling him not to get the MG, which was the comment right above mine when i posted. Yes I have a line6, for taking around so i don't have to worry about smashing up something good/expensive. I happen to be a large fan of most of the marshall tube amps (JVM, JCM, etc.). Sorry for the miscmmunication, but do try to be more civil next time
Quote by seizetheday1103
http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadster/roadster.html

get that. its perfect for metal/rock or anything if u have the right pedals. its 900$ tho. well worth it

And where pray tell can i get this magical super price reduced 900$ roadster?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33