When I want to let a note ring on my guitar, most of the time the strings buzz onto the frets. Is it the strings, the guitar, what?? I'd love for this to be answered.

I have a hundred dollar Dean guitar, if that helps. maybe its because its a cheap guitar?
Raise the action at the bridge.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
What bridge does your guitar have? Does it have a whammy bar? If not, chances are you just need to unscrew the 2 screws at the edge of your bridge a little.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
Quote by heylookitsfatty
Sorry, lol, but I'm new to guitar , so sorry if I'm a little trouble. How do i do that?

you will see a hole between your nut and headstock, in there is an adjustable rod with an allen key ending

find the appropriate allen key for it, and rotate downwards (usually)

just make sure you don't raise it too much, or you will lose playability in the higher frets

Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
^The 2 screws on the very edge of the smaller tailpiece, not the one the string balls sit in but the one right next to the bridge pickup. You'll find that unscrewing them (A LITTLE) makes the bridge sit higher, therefore making the strings higher.

EDIT: Your bridge look like this?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
Oh, I got it now. Thanks much you guys, thought I was doomed haha.

EDIT: No its a little different

So, I just unscrew the pickup closest to the bridge just a little?
Last edited by heylookitsfatty at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by Carswell98
you will see a hole between your nut and headstock, in there is an adjustable rod with an allen key ending

find the appropriate allen key for it, and rotate downwards (usually)

just make sure you don't raise it too much, or you will lose playability in the higher frets

Telling someone that's new at guitar to adjust the truss rod is NOT the answer.
Quote by heylookitsfatty
Oh, I got it now. Thanks much you guys, thought I was doomed haha.

EDIT: No its a little different

So, I just unscrew the pickup closest to the bridge just a little?

No, you don't need to adjust the pickup's either. I truely detest all this bogus information being given to new guitar players.
First off, you need to determine why you have fret buzz. It could be as simple as your technique. Are you sure you are fretting correctly? New players have troubles with this in the beginning. Make sure that you're pressing down on the strings with just the tip of your finger, right between the nail and fingerprint area. Also make sure you are holding each finger at a right angle to the fretboard as you fret. This will help to keep the rest of each finger clear of neighboring strings so they won't buzz.
Where you fret is just as important as how you fret. Be sure that you are pressing down just behind each fret wire, to the headstock side of them. If you press down in the middle or back toward the other fret, you'll get buzz.
Now then, all that aside, if it's the guitar that needs adjusting, all you should need to do is raise the action a little bit. This is done at the bridge assembly. The bridge is where the strings come out of the guitar and head across the pickups then up the neck to the head.
If you want to raise the action, look at the bridge, and on each outboard edge of it there should be a large screw or thumbwheel. Unscrewing those about 1/2 a turn is all it should need. This is assuming that it's an electric. If it's an acoustic, then you would need to place a shim piece under the bridge saddle to bring it up.
just ask somebody in real life that knows something about guitars. it is impossible to explain without holding the guitar and showing you. go to your local store
they call og or nothing at all!!
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Raise the action at the bridge.

Yeah.

lol this reminds me when about a year ago when i changed my guitar strings.

I moved the bridge all the way down so it would touch the guitar bridge, and once i was done. BZZZZZZZZ on all my strings.

of course I didn't know what waws the problem so I brought it to a music store, and they fixed it for $30.

I couldve fixed it if I knew what was wrong, oh well
This is a good opportunity to ask a question that has been bugging me. How much buzz do people put up with on an electic. I have mine set up so when I play scales or normal chords there is no buzz, but if I play power chords and am really going to town while strumming, there will be some buzz that can be heard accoustically but not through the amp. Do most of you just live with a little bit of buzz when playing really hard in exchange for low action that is relatively buzz free?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube