I have played guitar, and taken it quite seriously for a couple years now, and I feel I have hit a brick wall, I know my scales backwards and forwards, I'm happy with my phrasing, but I haven't seen any noticeable improvement in my speed, I practice with a metronome, I play for 3+ hours a day

and I realize that speed is really not all that important (especially considering the music I play) but I won't feel complete as a guitarist until I can keep up with some quicker paced solos

so even with my decent practicing techniques I haven't seen much of any improvement

are my fingers just retarded?, does this mean I won't get faster?

have any of you had similar problems?

it just has really bothered me

have any of you found something that has really helped?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
just keep playing, keep practicing
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Check back in 15-20 years. There are so many musicians that are icons in the industry who never achieved the "holy grail" of shred. You'll find that in the long run, this matters so little that you won't even care about it in a few years.
The most memorable guitar solos of all time contain very few 64th notes.
I was able to learn to pick using only my fingers. I learned to do it from my brother, and I don't know anybody else that does it - I don't think it's very common. The hand as a whole largely stays still, only the fingers holding the pick move - I rest my hand on the bridge, and move the index and thumb only.

It took a metric fuckton of hours to get it down, but I can't argue with the results. If I ever need to do some crazy speed run, or crazy tremolo picking, I always hold my hand still and do this. Give it a while, though.
^yeah, I know it's wrong to expect results so soon, but I really have been giving this my all

Quote by Johnthewrench
Check back in 15-20 years. There are so many musicians that are icons in the industry who never achieved the "holy grail" of shred. You'll find that in the long run, this matters so little that you won't even care about it in a few years.
The most memorable guitar solos of all time contain very few 64th notes.

"shred" is the last thing on my mind broseph

I'm talking some quick blues runs, that is it, nothing face melting
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
record yourself playing guitar. record yourself 6 months later and then 6 months after that, then watch them one after the other to check how much progress you made in a year, if your getting faster quicker or slower and so on

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost