Hey all. Does anyone hear make their own designs for their tshirts? I'm wondering because I want to start buying plain white tshirts and putting my own words and pictures etc on them since I hate nearly every tshirt the majority of people like. If you have any experience, can you please tell me how I would go about it? I've heard you can iron-on designs but that the design wears off in the wash, so I guess this isn't exactly idea. Another option would be to print off my designs and take them into a store that makes tshirts and get them to make me a shirt with my design on it, but I'm pretty sure this is quite expensive and would be very inconvenient. If I found a way that was easy and cheap to implement my designs onto tshirts, I would seriously make so many shirts and enjoy it so much, I really want to get into it. Any tips/advice/knowledge on this subject would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Damn, i had to do this for home ec last year.... You have to Make the design on your comp, print it on iron-on-able paper, and iron on at 400 degrees for 10 seconds. **** yeah, i aced that class!

Edit - And to not have the design wear off, you wait a week, wash in cold water, and then proceed to wash normally
You could use stencils. If you go to the punk forum here there's a DIY tips thread. Alternatively, you can buy sheets of paper which you can print onto and then iron onto a white shirt.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
i just take a pic in to the t-shirt company and they'll put it on for like 20 bucks. my buddy had a real sick Kreator shirt he designed that he got made there.

you should see if you have a place like that wherever you live.

EDIT: dang, didn't read the whole post first. but yeah, its not expensive at all here at least.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
They call it Heat Transfer Method...I heard theres a special ink used,for it to adhere permanently....
google is your friend. look into silk screening.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
this is my latest one..a photoshop hooked it up for me
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 20, 2008,
im thinking of maybe starting to design my own t-shirts as well.
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

my favorite shirt is my drop c..
it just says CGCFAD the first C is red...the rest is white on a black tee

most people look at me weird..but its cool when u see another player..
their eyes always light up..lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
The iron on transfers start coming off after a few washes. I'd recommend investing in a silk screen, or just go to a print place and they'd do it for around $25.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
Quote by lucid_strat
The iron on transfers start coming off after a few washes. I'd recommend investing in a silk screen, or just go to a print place and they'd do it for around $25.

Okay thanks for the tip on the iron on transfers, I thought so. I wonder why silk screening doesn't wash off just as easy? I mean, after all it is basically the same thing isn't it? You apply ink to both so why does iron on wash off and silk screening stay not?
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I managed to make 6 shirts for myself, my sister and all members of a mate's band bearing a massive print of their logo on the front and their name on the back of the neck. It went really well, I made them for last Christmas and they're all still great! And no, they haven't been locked in a cupboard, they've been worn regularly. Mine went with me to Belgium and survived. The transfer paper I used was Imagepro Print & Go 'Wear It!' which looks like normal A4 paper when it goes through a printer, but it totally soaks up and locks in the ink. The results were fantastic. I'll try and post some pictures of the infamous Foxes 'n' Crossbows shirts.

Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
^photos would be nice.

also did you do anything special when applying the transfers?

like someone said to wait a week then wash them with cold water. to help preserve the transfers.
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

Quote by pringa
^photos would be nice.

also did you do anything special when applying the transfers?

like someone said to wait a week then wash them with cold water. to help preserve the transfers.

Yeah, i'll try and get photos. And no, I've never washed them in cold water, even the first wash. The plastic has stayed on perfectly. The manual does recommend you to turn the shirts inside-out when washing, but my mum just whacks them in the washing machine and they come out in the same condition they go in (alright, clean though!). probably the easiest option if you want to make your own shirts - I've got one sheet left so i might make an AFI shirt with Decemberunderground on it sometime.

Photos to follow,
Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Okay thanks for the tip on the iron on transfers, I thought so. I wonder why silk screening doesn't wash off just as easy? I mean, after all it is basically the same thing isn't it? You apply ink to both so why does iron on wash off and silk screening stay not?

Because an iron on transfer sits on the surface of the fabric, while the ink from a screen print soaks through the fabric.
I've done silk screen printing, I find it very enjoyable and the results are very rewarding.