Hey guys.

I was hoping you could help me out with playing a certain technique that I see in tabs often. I have a feeling that it's something really simple, but I'm having alot of trouble playing them up to tempo, even after practicing with a metronome for what seem slike the past 3 thousand years. Here is an example from Fade to Black (took it from an unknown tabber here on UG).

|-10^7----7-10^7-10^7----7-10^7-10^7----7-|
|--------10------------------10------------------10---|
|---------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------|

How I'm playing the first one is that I'm pulling off the 10th fret as indicated with a downstroke and then picking the 10th fret on the upper string with an upstroke, then picking the 7th fret on the lower string with a downstroke, and repeating. I'm not sure If I'm playing this the right way.

Even simple ones, like pulling off 5th to 3rd fret and hitting the 5th fret on the upper string is giving me problems. I have no idea how people play these things so fast. Then adding string skipping and bends to it makes my head explode.

I'm self taught, so I don't know If these kinds of things have a specific name..and exactly how they're supposed to be played.

Thank you for any help guys!
Last edited by MechanixMilitia at Feb 20, 2008,
sorry bro aint no magic formula just practice it and other songs that use the same technique give it time man.
Just make sure you practice it slowly. And when I say slowly, I mean slowly.
404: Sig not found.
Try switching your stroking pattern, when I play it I downpick the 10 on the E string, pull of, downpick the 10 on the B string, uppick the 7 on E, downpick the 10, pull off..

So you get:

|- 10 ^ 7---- 7- 10 ^ 7 - 10 ^7----
|-------- 10-------------------------10-
d d u d d d

See if that works

EDIT: damn can't get the d and u in the right position, but I think you get what I mean right?
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Guess I'll just keep breaking my fingers until I get it then haha.

Thanks a ton for the advice cocacolabottle. Yep, I get what you mean..it's going to take a while to get that drilled into my muscle memory but I'll give it a try
i find that most of these topics say that the person is not wrong in doing the technique but all u need to do is practice which is true
I just learnt that solo, I remember a few months ago I tried it and it seemed impossible. A couple of days ago I decided to try and learn again and I was just able to play it without having to practice at a lower tempo or anything. Honestly the lick before that is much harder, but economy picking is the way to go, doing what cocacolabottle said.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Dyers
i find that most of these topics say that the person is not wrong in doing the technique but all u need to do is practice which is true

Of course yeah, but It was taking me alot longer to improve my playing in comparison to other stuff..so I was concerned that I was basically getting into the habit of the wrong technique.

@Ichimaru - Hah, the lick before I've only attempted a few times. It's insanely difficult for me. Thanks for the reply though