IMHO Signature guitars are nothing but another trick to sell there merchandise.

- Do you honestly believe the premium you are paying for a signature guitar goes into the quality or electronics, wood, or hardware? No, its going into that little scribble that reads (fill in the blank) name.

- Do you think that the guitar will increase in value faster than standard production guitars? Absolutely not 'cause when an artist dies they will double production and they will keep pumping them out of the factory as faster than they can sell them.

- But they are suppose to replicate the artists prefered instrument setup: Not true, when an artist dosen't sell that many guitars they redesign it to be more appealing to the masses.

Don't get me wrong there are several quality signature models on the market. I still have a Jeff Beck Start I bought back in 94 (before the signature flood). It's a good twanger but I look back and think to myself I should have bought a Deluxe instead.

I am in the market for a new guitar and have been comparing spec's and I have become feedup with the big companies. I just hate the fact that the guitar companies jackup the prices 200, 300, 500 bucks more than there production line guitars. Lets face the fact: artist models are based on production guitars and once they run a signature guitar through a factory it becomes another production guitar that didn't cost a cent more to make.

What are your thought on Signature Guitars?
I bought the ESP LTD Static-600 off of ebay for 465 and it kicks ass, (i took it to a pawn shop to compare directly to an ex-400bd and theres no comparison).
My Washburn N2 is the best Chinese guitar I've ever played. I'll elaborate later.
i agree completely, most signature guitars don't have the same hardware or electronics as the players real setup anyway, you just end paying for a guitar that, without the signature on the headstock, would be half the price.

i wouldnt buy a signature guitar
Well then again some sigs are set up differently from the models its basedm on; example, an ESP AX-600 (the Max Cavalera sig) only has one single Seymour Duncan bridge pickup. You can't buy any other AX models like that, they all have a neck pickup with EMGs. And if you ask me, SD > EMG.

Just an example, might not be an awesome one but I've made my point.
Quote by postmortem2006
Well then again some sigs are set up differently from the models its basedm on; example, an ESP AX-600 (the Max Cavalera sig) only has one single Seymour Duncan bridge pickup. You can't buy any other AX models like that, they all have a neck pickup with EMGs. And if you ask me, SD > EMG.

Just an example, might not be an awesome one but I've made my point.
Don't forget that the paintwork is pretty awesome.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
I dissagree i have a custom shop Clapton Strat and its the bee's bollocks and the dogs knees all in one.
With its active pickups and the boost on the 2nd tone knob i can get some of the best sounds
=========

Nathnialm

====
Quote by pookieismydog
IMHO Signature guitars are nothing but another trick to sell there merchandise.

- Do you honestly believe the premium you are paying for a signature guitar goes into the quality or electronics, wood, or hardware? No, its going into that little scribble that reads (fill in the blank) name.

Of course you're paying for the artist's name when purchasing a signature model, but I don't think there are that many people around who do not realize this. Also, this goes for a lot of other things, too: most brands always charge you for the name.

It all depends on the company how much that charge will be. For instance, when buying a Gibson, you're paying a lot more for their name on the headstock than when you're buying something like a Carvin.

The same goes for pickups, bridges, etc.

Quote by pookieismydog

- Do you think that the guitar will increase in value faster than standard production guitars? Absolutely not 'cause when an artist dies they will double production and they will keep pumping them out of the factory as faster than they can sell them.

Not every company is Dean.

On top of that, yes, some signatures will go up in value. Look at the really expensive ones from companies like Fender and Gibson.

Why do they go up in value? Partly because the people buying them think they will go up in value even more. It's an almost endless cycle if you look at it this way.

Also, some artists have incredibly devoted fans, who want to own their signatures at all cost. Look at the Ibanez PGM700; whenever they're available, they're always in the 4000$ region and they're usually spotted only hours after they've been posted on sites like Ebay.

Quote by pookieismydog

- But they are suppose to replicate the artists prefered instrument setup: Not true, when an artist dosen't sell that many guitars they redesign it to be more appealing to the masses.

It's a combination; the more popular an artist, the more freedom they get.

Take the Billy Sheehan signature Yamaha bass. He wanted a very thick neck and pushed Yamaha to the absolute limit untill they feared no one would buy it anymore.

Also, it really depends on the artist and company. If you look at Paul Gilbert, his signatures were all made to his specifications. For the experiments and weird instruments he turns to the Ibanez customshop, but judging from many interviews and such it's safe to assume he had a major roll in the creation of the PGM models.

The same goes for Steve Vai, who also seems pretty involved with his signature.

Quote by pookieismydog

Don't get me wrong there are several quality signature models on the market. I still have a Jeff Beck Start I bought back in 94 (before the signature flood). It's a good twanger but I look back and think to myself I should have bought a Deluxe instead.

This varies from guitar to guitar.

The Ibanez MBM1 is incredibly overpriced, whereas the PGM301 has a pretty modest price tag.

Quote by pookieismydog

I am in the market for a new guitar and have been comparing spec's and I have become feedup with the big companies. I just hate the fact that the guitar companies jackup the prices 200, 300, 500 bucks more than there production line guitars. Lets face the fact: artist models are based on production guitars and once they run a signature guitar through a factory it becomes another production guitar that didn't cost a cent more to make.

What are your thought on Signature Guitars?

Artists still get commision on their signature models, so despite the guitars not costing much more than a regular model to make, they're still more expensive.

Also, some of these guitars, like regular production models, need a fair bit of testing and research; you're paying for that, too.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
well i dont agree with the thread starter. i bought me a fender srv signature. and not only has it become my main guitar but it also has features that no other guitar has!

other prime examples for signature guitars that are just kick ass:

the fender cs dick dale strat or the slash lp from gibson with the fishman sytem or jimmie vaughans strat which is not only mim and quite cheap but has monstrous tone as well as the very versatile new george lynch superstrat from esp.

to me signature guitars are also a way of paying tribute to my heroes
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join
i put texas special pups in my MIA standard strat, to me it 's as good as the mark knopfler strat - unless the signature on the headstock is worth several hundred quid.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Take the YJM Stratocaster for example. YJM's favourite Stratocasters are standard ones that he bought in the 70s, not the stupid ones with his name on.

The stupid ones with his name on it happen to be excellent value for money.

Most people can't afford vintage strats and if they can, it takes a fair amount of detachment to hack half of the fingerboard away on your new, rare, investment.

So Fender released a sig model, which he also uses, based on his favourite Strats, with DiMarzio pickups and a scalloped fingerboard, for a fraction of the price of an original.

The same goes for the Eric Johnson Fender. Sure, Eric loves his vintage guitars, but he needed something that could actually be used on tour. On top of that, he wanted to make the concept of a vintage guitar accessible to regular players.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
All opinion biotch!

If someone wants a sig let them off, not your money.

The only sig I hate is the alexi..