Hi!

I've been searching for a Les Paul guitar but have found different trademarks that seem to produce Les Paul (or at least look-a-likes). Epiphone really calls those guitars Les Paul. Jack & Danny too. The Maxtone guitar I saw that looked like a Les Paul didn't have it written on it.

Which one have the best quality? Are Maxtone just copying the Les Paul model? Jack & Danny guitars seem a little cheaper but I'm not an expert so I don't really know if I can compare them to the Epiphone guitars. I read somewhere Jack & Danny guitars are produced in Epiphone factory in China. Is this true? Does it mean they are the same quality?

Thanks for any help
Epiphone is actually owned by Gibson (they took em over in the 50s) and are producing liscenced budget models of the les paul. I dont know about the other companies tho. Probably just another run of the mill LP copy, but i could be wrong.

Actually, are the jack and danny guitars the ones with the "J&D" headstock?

I remember a sales guy saying J&Ds were better value for money, but im guessing he was just trying to get me to buy one cos they didnt sell Epis lol. Also, that store sucks and is WAY overpriced :p
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
There is a guitar brand called "Jack and Danny"?

That is actually awesome on so many levels.
I've just found an online store which described the j&d guitars as replicas of the les paul and not actually Les Paul. I wonder if this means the guitars are made with the exact same materials or just look like Les Paul but are made of painted cardboard...
J&Ds rock, my main axe is an LPcopy, its 6 years old, but i warn you, the new models arent as good.

STill pwnts an epiphone
I do a little guitar building and somone asked me to have a look at a couple of J&D Les Paul copies and I was really suprised at the quality.Some things seemed even bettter than the current range of chinese epiphones
The ones I saw had set neck construction, seemed to have solid alder or mahogony bodies,rosewood fretboards and are very well finished.
Inside the guitar it has full sized control pots (unlike chinese Epiphones which only have half sized pots) Pickups sounded good,toggle switch and wiring were decent quality.
I own a couple of Epi's and Gibsons and found the J&D stacks up pretty well playing wise.
I believe J&D at one time built Les Pauls for Epiphone but they became to expensive to build in Taiwan so Epiphone then shifted their producion to Korea and now China because it was cheaper to build. Had a look at their web site and they have basically every type of Les Paul Epiphone do but at half the price.
My conclusion is play one and get suprised.
If I can get the same guitar built to Taiwanese quality at half the price of a Chinese Epiphone guitar Iwould gladly buy one.
Jack &Danny > Epiphone IMO
I have a J&D Les Paul and I've compared it to a friend's Epiphone. The J&D won hands down, and it's cheaper too! J&D: €250, Epi: €425.
It's a high quality guitar for the price range:
Mahogany Body
Flamed Maple Top
T.O.M. Bridge
Glued-In Neck
Trapezoid Inlays
Rosewood Fingerboard
Binding on Body and Neck
Cherry Sunburst Finish

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by covel
Hi!

I've been searching for a Les Paul guitar but have found different trademarks that seem to produce Les Paul (or at least look-a-likes). Epiphone really calls those guitars Les Paul. Jack & Danny too. The Maxtone guitar I saw that looked like a Les Paul didn't have it written on it.

Which one have the best quality? Are Maxtone just copying the Les Paul model? Jack & Danny guitars seem a little cheaper but I'm not an expert so I don't really know if I can compare them to the Epiphone guitars. I read somewhere Jack & Danny guitars are produced in Epiphone factory in China. Is this true? Does it mean they are the same quality?

Thanks for any help

Hey. All Les Paul guitars which don't have "Gibson" written on the headstock like this;

Are copies, regardless of whether they have the words 'Les Paul' written on them or not. What you need to get your head around, is that this is in no way a bad thing, and that if you're spending a decent amount of money, you're going to be getting a decent guitar. For guitars which don't have trems (this includes the Les Paul), it's been my experience that anything at or above £300 is going to be a good guitar. Anything significantly below that, I've found to be murky waters indeed. As I said in another thread a minute ago, a guitar is a finely engineered instrument, not a toy. If you buy one of the proper cheap ones (as in, they're really cheap when brand new), then you're basically just getting a toy. They all look the business in pictures and whatnot. You can get a Les Paul copy for under £100 that looks the part. Looks are a very small part of the story, I'm afraid.

I advise you to do your research, and play as many guitars as possible before you buy one. Just because this is going to be your first proper guitar (which is the impression I get, sorry if I'm wrong), that doesn't mean it has to be a piece of crap. In the long run you save money by starting out on something good, because if you don't you only end up upgrading anyway. Why not just buy a nice one to begin with? Anyway, there's a mind-numbing array of options and brands available to you. I completely understand why you're seeking help. Japanese brands are very good quality indeed. That doesn't mean it has to be made in Japan. Ibanez and Yamaha's Korean models are still very nice guitars. Yamaha's LP copy is a bloody good guitar. unfortunately it looks terrible. Ibanez have a few variants, all of which I would say are relatively safe bets if you're spending around £300 or more.

There's obviously Epiphone, which are the only licenced producers of Les Paul copies. Epiphone are owned by Gibson, and thus, are authorized by Gibson. This doesn't mean that their LPs are any better than other copies, though. If you're going to go Epiphone, buy a pre-2004 one. Before this period, they were all made in Korea. They're all made in China/Indonesia now, and are not as good. I myself have a 2003, Korean-made Epiphone LP Standard, and it compares very well to my Gibson (the headstock pictured above is my Gibson's headstock ), to the point where it's actually a little embarrassing for my Gibson how close my Epi is to it. However, I've played a lot of newer Epiphones, and most of them have been garbage. If you see a pre-owned Epiphone which is a few years old, ask to see the serial number (if it's an eBay thing, you can contact the seller for these details). Then, run the serial number through The Guitar Dater Project, and if it comes up that it was made in Korea, and 2004 or prior, then buy it.

By far the best thing you can do though, is take an experienced guitar-playing friend to a shop with you, and have him try a variety of guitars which you can afford. Buy the very one he says is the best. This way, you're getting the actual one you tried. I've played a lot of Gibsons, and even the 'real thing' varies quite a bit from guitar to guitar. I would advise you not to rush. If you bide your time and then strike while the iron is hot, you'll end up with a bitchin' guitar for a good price, which will be with you for the rest of your life, rather than a crap guitar which is OK for learning some basics on, but is soon replaced for something better. My Epiphone was my first guitar, but I still play it because it ****ing rocks. I probably play it as much as my Gibson.

Some simple things you should be looking for, and if they are absent.. AVOID;

Set-neck
This is one of if not the most crucial design elements of the 'real' Les Paul, and if a copy has a bolt-on, then just don't even consider it.

Tune-o-matic (or 'TOM') bridge
Again, another one of the defining features of the Les Paul. I would not say that this is a 'must', as there are plenty of other good solid bridge designs. It is, however, the one I favour.

Solid body
That big ol' hunk of mahogany is the founding tenement of the Les Paul.

It's mostly the set-neck and the solid body that I would completely insist on. If it's a Les Paul shape, with a solid body, and a set-neck, and is of good quality, it's gonna get you in the place you want to be.

Hope this helps you in some way
Last edited by Martin Scott at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by RyanGillam
There is a guitar brand called "Jack and Danny"?

That is actually awesome on so many levels.

Yep, that just plain deserves to be SIGGED!!

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Maxetone is the true factory which make those guitars for jack & danny;
and the lp and epiphone all is made by a warehouse which name is Maxetone;
i have ordered lp from him before, it is real good, it is exactly as the same as the real, and i search it from internet, and have found that "Maxetone" produce lots of model, and i have reviewed again and again, it is really awesome; here is link:

lp guitars here:
http://maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php?view=category&catid=199&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=2

http://maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php?view=category&catid=197&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=2

http://maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php?view=category&catid=67&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=2

and i like the double neck jem 7v which is oem for ibanez;
http://maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php?view=category&catid=221&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=2

and the 5 string bass is great too;
http://maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php?view=category&catid=192&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=2

but i have not found the record of bass, only tone for guitar! i am trying to order bass from him, after that i will upload a record of myself!
*reported*

Threads been dead for over 2 years....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...