Poll: Which instructional vid do you think is better/more helpful?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which instructional vid do you think is better/more helpful?
John Petrucci's Rock Discipline
22 54%
Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock
19 46%
Voters: 41.
I actually have both of these vids but I am yet undecided as to which one I'm going to use.

Post your thoughts on the instructional vid you find most helpful to your own playing and why you think it's the better one of the two.

I personally think both videos are very well made but both have problems.

Rock Discipline covers a lot of ground and some very useful exercises but it's very boring. And the exercises (understandably) sound awful. It does emphasize the use of a metronome which is extremely important.

Intense Rock is far better in keeping me awake but Paul doesn't talk about using the metronome. He is a very detailed instructor and even gives out helpful hints in playing his fast runs (Like he recommends timing the position change with a downstroke).

Also, neither Petrucci nor Gilbert discuss string muting or dampening which I find gives me the most trouble when playing fast licks like them. Every note starts ringing like crazy when I play fast, lead lines.
Dont know anything about the two vids, but I just know Paul Gilbert's Guitar Player columns in the late 80s were really fun to learn from - he had a sense of humour. I'd go with him. End of the day - in whatever field - you want to enjoy learning don't you?
petrucci's, gilberts is more for licks, petrucci's is more for getting better+practicing good exercises
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Bump

I've noticed that both vids focus more on playing fast, lead lines and sweep picking, with no emphasis whatsoever on rhythm playing. I grew up on thrash metal (as tightly controlled and monitored as our music was back when I was young) and Dimebag Darrel Abbott and James Hetfield's rhythm playing is something I've been trying to learn properly but until now, I can't use it 'on command' as they seem to be able to do.

John Petrucci, who is undoubtedly one of the best all-around guitar players ever, is often accredited for his lead guitar work but his rhythm guitar playing takes a more prominent stage in Dream Theater's Train Of Thought album and some tracks from Octavarium as well.
Quote by pfizer
John Petrucci, who is undoubtedly one of the best all-around guitar players ever, is often accredited for his lead guitar work but his rhythm guitar playing takes a more prominent stage in Dream Theater's Train Of Thought album and some tracks from Octavarium as well.

Alot of DT's earlier albums had alot of rhythm from Petrucci, especially Images from A Memory and Awake.
Anyway, Petrucci deals alot more with excercises, where-as Gilbert focuses alot on fun licks. I've found that excercises are alot more useful in the long run, especially when you get more involved in theory and you can take those excercises and apply them in different places on the guitar neck.
On the other hand, knowing a bunch of great licks is great for practice and can add versatility fast into your playing technique's.
Either way, it's your choice. I would also recommend Michael Romeo's instructional video after your done with whatever you choose, he uses alot of interesting techniques.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Dude, if you have them both, USE THEM BOTH!!! Whats the point of having both if you're only going to use one???
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

My guitar instructor has lent me both and I personally prefer PG's intense rock, because it is useful but he keeps it fun.
I've only seen bits intense rock on youtube and elsewhere, but I've seen rock discipline tons of times so I'm a little biased

anyway, I agree with others PG teaches you licks, JP teaches you techniques and theory. In the long run I think JP's video is more useful. JP has a sense of humor too, but you can't tell from the video, get his book wild stringdom, its really interesting and covers tons of ground
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
I found Intense Rock more easy to follow and understand, I also got better results from it, Paul goes in depth on picking technique and accenting which are really important.
DEFIBRILLATOR!!! haha

OK sorry to wake you guys up but i would like to know other Lesson DVD that are not as concentrated in just SHREDDING and/or playing +300 bpm.

Thanks alot.
marty friedmans melodic control

if you want to learn how to solo, and not for speed, but just solo melodically and actually know wtf is going on, get it
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by Pabli7o
DEFIBRILLATOR!!! haha

OK sorry to wake you guys up but i would like to know other Lesson DVD that are not as concentrated in just SHREDDING and/or playing +300 bpm.

Thanks alot.

The video help you in developing technique and accuracy, which will allow you to play fast, among other things. They are not devoted solely to "shredding"
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by EZLN libertad
marty friedmans melodic control

if you want to learn how to solo, and not for speed, but just solo melodically and actually know wtf is going on, get it

Or you can *cough* google it *cough*. Y'know, the video.

But yeah, it's really really good.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Seeing as back when Petrucci appeared along time ago and was interviewed in Guitar World he cited Intense Rock as a major influence, I think you have his personal recommendation right there.

Intense Rock... easy... Gilbert's teaching style is very accessible.
I've only watched some clips from Rock Discipline only, and nothing from Intense Rock, well, I've understood the lessons on RD so I'd vote for it.
They are both great. Rock Discipline has a lot more information, but Paul Gilbert is way better teacher than John Petrucci.

Rock Discipline is more just a video with lots of licks and random tips, while Rock Discipline teaches proper practice, use of a metronome, stretching, and random tips. Don't expect to come away with cool licks, however.

And here's a tip for you: The only way to nail string muting and dampening during fast playing is to practice it extremely slow and work your way up with a metronome. If you can play it muted slow, you can, with practice, do it fast.
Last edited by CowboyUp at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by pfizer
I actually have both of these vids but I am yet undecided as to which one I'm going to use.

What is preventing you from using both, exactly?

Edit: ****ing necroposter....
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by amonamarthmetal at Dec 12, 2014,