hey...i got a question....yes i did search the forum...cudnt find an answer..
i have a 5 way pickup selector on my guitar....n im still kinda new to the whole thing...
n really wat to know how it works... ..
any help would be appreciated.....if there is a forum thread about this...plz send the tag
A five way pickup selector just means you can have 5 different pickup setting.
Manchester United
Yeh what he said basically, you get the neck, middle and bridge pickup and you can choose which ones to use and in which combonation.
Ok, well let me give you a brief guide to the wonderful world of pickups and selector switches. My guitar only has two pickups and three positions for the selector switch so my information about the third pickup might be slightly wrong, but I'll do my best.

Basically, you have your bridge pickup, so called because it's closest to the bridge, i.e the thing your strings are attached to at the bottom of the guitar. The bridge pickup has a very trebley sound. What does this mean? It means it has a lot of clarity and is a very cutting tone, good for lead work and a lot of metal and punk stuff where you want a cutting tone. The middle pickup is just called the middle pickup I think, I don't have one so I don't know much about it. However I'd imagine that it gives you a warmer tone, with less treble, but still a bit of an edge. So, more good for strumming and perhaps jazz soloing? I don't really know. Now, the last pickup is known as the neck pickup, because it's closest to the neck. Obvious huh? This is the 'muddiest' of the three pickups, because it has the least amount of treble in its sound. The closer the pickup is to the bridge, the more treble it will have. So, how does this information help you? Well, as I said, the bridge pickup is good for soloing, and for stuff that requires a cutting sound. The middle pickup I think is for the best of both worlds, again I don't really know cause I don't have one. But I'd imagine you use that for stuff that requires a bit less of an edge than your bridge pickup but more 'crunch' than your neck pickup. The neck pickup is generally used for chord playing, because it gives a warmer tone. So, for example, when my friend and I have a jam, and we play some jazz stuff, I'll use my rhythm pickup to play some chords.

Now I'll just clarify for you the different selector switch positions. Closest to the neck is the neck pickup, closest to the bridge is the bridge pickup. In the middle is the middle pickup. Now, for the other two places.
The spot between the bridge pickup and the middle pickup selects both pickups 'out of phase' I think the term is. The spot between the neck pickup and the middle pickup selects those two pickups out of phase. 'What does this achieve?' I hear you ask. Let me explain. Single-coil pickups, as they are called, I don't know why, are prone to picking up a lot of outside noise, and tend to buzz or hum a lot. By using two single coil pickups 'out of phase', you reduce the hum a lot. Hence, a humbucker pickup is essentially this system but in one pickup, and known as a humbucker because it 'bucks' the hum.

So, I hope that's all clear and not too confusing. If it is, I'm sorry. Tell me the parts you're confused on and I'll try and explain it simpler.

Good luck.
sig goes here
The bridge pickup is the one which will not be affected by your tone selectors on your guitar and therefore is useful if you quickly wanna switch.
The middle pickup is usualy reversly wound and cancels out a lot of buzz that you can get with singlecoils.
The neck pickup is the one that gets affected the most by tone selectors.

The 5 way switch allows you to:
1. Bridge Pickup only
2. Bridge & Middle only
3. Middle only
4. Middle & neck only
5. Neck only

Hope this was helpful, please correct me if i'm wrong.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker

The 5 way switch allows you to:
1. Bridge Pickup only
2. Bridge & Middle only
3. Middle only
4. Middle & neck only
5. Neck only

Hope this was helpful, please correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't think you're wrong, I agree with the above.
if you use a lot of distortion on your amp or pedals, you usually want to use the bridge pick up to get the best tone out of your amp. if your doing a blues style play you usually want to use the neck ot middle pick up with the volume on your guitar turned down slightly.