Hey,

I'm looking for some books on theory which are specifically aimed at bass players. Also, i can't actually read music (well I can, sort of - very slowly) so i'm looking for something which gives tablature in its explanations.

Does anyone know of any such books?
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
There are no "bass theory" books per se, at least that I have been able to locate. However the following two books will get you where you need to be:

Hal Leonard Bass Method I - III (combined volume) covers bass "basics" and reading tabulature and standard notation.

The complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory. This covers just about everything else.
Quote by anarkee

The complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory. This covers just about everything else.

Sounds like my kind of book
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Beware, anarkee is currently endorsed by Hal Leonard to promote the book on the forum, she may be bias'ed.

I need to get me a Hal book!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Lol, Jon. If I only had an endorsement! I'd save a tonne on music books.

I am a bit of a music book freak and have a bookshelf of them, mostly second hand. I have the bass method books from the three major publishers, Hal Leonard, Mel Bay and Progressive. Progressive (except for the Metal bass books) is a bit light on everything and not as comprehensive as the Mel Bay and Hal Leonard books.

Hal Leonard wins IMHO because the books are very comprehensive, build strong skills in a progressive way, and actually have music that would be enjoyable to play for a typical starting musician. Mel Bay's books are also strong from a learning perspective, but the musical selections are a bit dated, and remind me of 4th grade band when you played some dated folk song as your learning material.
ive learnt alot, and i mean ALOT from Bass Guitar for Dummies.
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by AshDoro
ive learnt alot, and i mean ALOT from Bass Guitar for Dummies.

Its a great book and I would recommend it as well as a basic book for a good all round library, along with Adrian Ashton's "The Bass Handbook". But they really don't go into too much depth in the area that the TS is looking for.
Hal Leonard Bass Method I - III.

Is this available online anywhere? if you know exactly where a reliable buy is at, any info would be appreciated
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by AccidentsHappen
Hal Leonard Bass Method I - III.

Is this available online anywhere? if you know exactly where a reliable buy is at, any info would be appreciated

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy-Use/dp/0793563836

Also available from Musicians Friend and if you order in the next few days, Overstock.com has it for a bargain at 14.83 USD!!!

*god dammit, Hal Leonard really should be giving me an endorsement deal at this point..*
I think I'll buy it and give it a read.

English book report lol.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
I suggest the Hal Leonard Bass Method I - III (combined volume) that anarkee suggested. Definitely an awesome grounding for the basics of bass.

But if you really want to delve deep into theory. Don't look for a bass theory book. A C major scale is a C major whether it's played on a piano, a trumpet, a bass, an accordian, whatever.

Look for music theory books. One that I am currently working with is The Jazz Language: A Theory Text for Jazz Composition and Improvisation.

It really has a lot of the basics and advanced parts of theory. It goes through chord construction, modes, scales, and functions in specific to jazz.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
A really good book is "The Bass Hand book", teaches you lots of theory.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
im with anarkee on this one. the bass method books are pretty good. but about theory, theory is theory and books on theory apply to all insturments. from string insturments to drums, even the kazoo! lol

if you wanna get some good starting points for no charge. there's some decent lessons here at UG if you search the lesson archive.