I'm 16, in the UK, wondering what car to think about getting once I'm 17.

So what were your first cars? Hatchback, saloon, estate (unlikely, but whatever )? Any reccomendations? Must be under 1100cc and cheap as dirt to insure Was thinking about an old Mini...

I should stress that I live in the countryside so it can't be something massive like an old Merc.

Actually I imagine dirt would be quite expensive to insure...

Anyway

Fire away

TLEG
Last edited by Kumanji at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Tractor.

Agriculture vehicles are very cheap to insure.

HAHA LOL EPIC WIN!! aaaaaaaaaargh 4 president...
get a volkswagen, they're cheap and german made
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
^hold onto your pants man it wasnt that funny

Get something really safe like a volvo, it'l be real cheap to insure

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
You have to be 17 before you an even take lessons, so realistically, you won't be abel to get a car until you're 18.

And mine was a Ford Mondeo that quite frankly wasn't worth the money I paid for it. Wasn't serviced in years and the amount of money I had to pay to get it up to scratch was unreal.

Needless to say, I sold it and got about £100 profit.

Lesson? Don't let your father buy your first car. He'll get the cheapest thing going.
I have a Renault Clio 2003. Its a nice car, even if the biting point is a little too high. I still stall it on occasion, even after several months of actually owning it. It costs 95 quid a month to insure whihc isn't that bad for the amount of time I've been driving.

Go for something small.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
You wouldn't be old enough to drive it on public roads, got to be 17, or at least you had to be 17 when I started learning last year.

I've got an N Reg Vauxhall Corsa myself, nice little run around and cheap to run, a tank full of petrol would cost about £45 for me. 1.2 litre engine, £1700 to insure fully comp with the Co-op, but that's with me on a provisional license so might be a little cheaper once you pass the test, or could go up, not too sure pal.
I need a new car
My first was a 1.2 2000 clio. Was shit lol
Every time i went round a sharp right hand corner it sounded like someting was grinding on something else (i have no idea what)

Go for something small like a 206, corsa or saxo.. I dunno
Diesel Corsa! I drove to cambridge and back (via lolworth because i liked the name, and nottingham for the laugh), so I was driving pretty much all day (set off before dawn, got back well after sunset) and used little over half a tank.

Go for fuel economy over all else, you won't regret it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by shoolocomous
Diesel Corsa! I drove to cambridge and back (via lolworth because i liked the name, and nottingham for the laugh), so I was driving pretty much all day (set off before dawn, got back well after sunset) and used little over half a tank.

Go for fuel economy over all else, you won't regret it.

Legend has it minis can go for quite a while on a tank?
Old minis or new ones?

The new ones are massive so I wouldnt think they would be very efficient

And most old cars in general use quite a lot of fuel. For an old car they might be exceptionally low in consumption, but I can't see them comparing favourably to small modern cars.

I'm no expert so please no one take this as gospel truth (ironic figure of speech has just been noticed).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by shoolocomous
Old minis or new ones?

The new ones are massive so I wouldnt think they would be very efficient

And most old cars in general use quite a lot of fuel. For an old car they might be exceptionally low in consumption, but I can't see them comparing favourably to small modern cars.

I'm no expert so please no one take this as gospel truth (ironic figure of speech has just been noticed).

Old Minis. The new one's aren't fit to be called Mini. Because they aren't, as you say.

And they'd be rather out of my budget xD
I always thought the old minis were quite expensive as well.

I've got a P reg Vauxhall Corsa, it's pretty cheap to insure and not too bad for a first car.
Mine was a saxo vtr put it into a road barrier after 3 months now driving a vauxhall vectra 1.8 until i get my no claims then its a mk2 golf gti.

Astra and ford focus are both realy cheap to insure on the 1.6 or anything below engines
ford fiesta

with or without the labrador...
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Kumanji
I want the dog, looks gorgeous

Car, optional

Nah, it's a cool car too

my dog!

lol. it is a good little car. it's a 2002 fiesta, 1.4 litre engine, is pretty nippy. aircon, alloys and cd player...all i need now is some bangin' choons, aiiiight.

<.<

>.>
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
<//////>~ dA
Quote by TobyFellrunners
Sunnysashi, are you asking the TS if they need it themselves? Or are you asking do you need insurance for a car in general lol?

sunnysayshi is obsessed with insurance.

oh yeah, fiestas come under band 3. that means i paid £1200 last year, and it'll hopefully be about £650 this year (as passing my test and a year of no claims makes it cheaper).
<//////>~ dA
my car is a G reg Fiesta. Its a pile of crap. but i love it. pretty damn reliable though.

the last owners were an old couple who hardly used it, so it was left out ono the drive most of the time, resulting in it being slightly pink on one side
Go to a dump or w/e it's called, pick a car for wicked cheap, and fix it up yourself. But the first car I had cost me about $200 and was the ****tiest car I have ever had or seen..ever..Totally covered in dents, even more when I was done with it as my friends and I used it as a portable skatepark, cigarete burns all over the car, cut up the fabric on the ceiling to make the shag you see in a lot of 'stoner' type vans, ect...What I'm saying is buy a piece of **** for your first car, you will really appreciate it when you move onto something better, and possibly more mature when it comes to driving.
Quote by esther_mouse
ford fiesta

with or without the labrador...

Win but not in that colour

Get a FORD FIESTA or a VAUXALL ASTRA - both run well and are fairly indestrucitble and CHEAP TO REPAIR

DONT get a FRENCH OR FOREIGN CAR - spares = MORE THAN THE CAR IS WORTH
An old car.
New cars are stupid for new drivers.
I'm in the same position as you. I got a Triumph Spitfire, 1.3 litre, no road tax, £400 a year for ME to be insured (not as a named driver) fully comp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
An old car.
New cars are stupid for new drivers.
I'm in the same position as you. I got a Triumph Spitfire, 1.3 litre, no road tax, £400 a year for ME to be insured (not as a named driver) fully comp.

Jesus that's not half bad at all lol
Yup, and she's a sexy little thing that goes like a rocket.

Pictures aren't mine, but it's actually my car haha reg number is the same
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
try to get one that doesnt break! ford... breaks down... mini... well its british... volkswagen...unreliable....

go with a jap! Far better chance of getting somthing that wont bleed you out just to keep the damn thing going. A cheap car that wont go isnt really worth anything!
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?