Any good pointers/things to love/things to hate/good mods/etc?

A main thing I've heard shielding the insides with copper foil does wonders for the the hums/buzzes?

got it new for 319 flat. with a free gift. I've always wanted a fender watch/money clip set! :P
I upgraded the PUPs w/ Texas Specials or Fender Lace series. I think the MIM strats are one of the best deals out there. Good luck.
Yeah, copper shielding. Maybe upgrade the pickups if you're not satisfied. I'm not satisfied with mine at least.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
If you plan on using your trem, you may want to eventually upgrade to locking tuners.

A pickup swap may be attractive at first, but worry about upgrading your amp to something decent (if you have a cheap amp) before investing money in pickups. If you do decide to make a pickup swap, I'd shop around for custom handwound pickups rather than over the counter stuff. Also, in my experience (10 years owning some type of Strat or another) matched sets are better than trying to go for a "do everything" Strat with 3 types of totally different pickups.

Shielding your cavity properly will help.

When you change your strings for the first time, be prepared to make adjustments to your trem because they can pull up harder on your bridge.
Hi, I'm Peter
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-?sku=305432

these are the pickups i have researched and heard good things about... id assume those are "matched" ? or if there are any reccomendations on "handwound" ones. thatd be great too.

as far as a good amp. i am set on that. that was my last money taker... Using a peavey valveking head and a marshall 1960a.

and as far as the strings, i use 9-42s on my prs which i understand strats come strung/setup with?
lace sensors are nice. im pretty sure i saw lace pups on one of claptons guitars from a year or two ago
Quote by boonsnic
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-?sku=305432

these are the pickups i have researched and heard good things about... id assume those are "matched" ? or if there are any reccomendations on "handwound" ones. thatd be great too.

as far as a good amp. i am set on that. that was my last money taker... Using a peavey valveking head and a marshall 1960a.

and as far as the strings, i use 9-42s on my prs which i understand strats come strung/setup with?

Handwounds:

Rock Monkey Guitars (owned by a member here, CorduroyEW) - the benefit of going with his is that his are handwound to your specifications and usually the same price or less than a set of "Fender Custom Shop" or 3 DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan pickups (about $180 US). He's especially good if you want modern tone.

Stephens Design - Dave Stephens can build pickups of any type, but specializes in vintage, doing the best he can to acquire materials from the same places vintage manufacturers would. I've owned a set of his pickups (overwound Mojo "V") and they're the best pickups I've ever played on a Strat.

Lindy Fralin - one of the more popular handwound pickups, Fralins are becoming available over-the-counter through sites such as Warmoth. Fralins are especially good for blues.

Wolfetone pickups - never dealt with him or his products, but he's another custom winder that comes highly recommended. Again, they seem to be more oriented towards vintage/blues tone.

The best part about handwound is that you talk to the person who will be making your pickups directly and tell them what you're looking for. In most cases (I know this to be true with both Rock Monkey and Stephens Design) if you're not happy with how they come out the first time, you can send them back and he'll rewind them. If you're not satisfied after that, you can get a refund.

Also, I highly recommend you swap out your pots for higher quality CTS or Alpha when you're doing your shielding job.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 20, 2008,
I have customwound pickups in my MIM (i'm a tone snob), and I like them 100% better than the stock ones. The stock ones just don't have that vintage strat mojo goin on. I thought they were kind of thin and muddy at the same time. If you have a good amp, the pickups will change the tone quite a bit.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
im glancing around at locking tuners... what is the basic consensus on the best brand? and then if possible a url link?
I like the stock pups, but I like a little but of imperfection in my signal. Strats are fun to cosmetically play with, too. You can add a 'bucker at the bridge if you need to, or have the utility to, and you can play with the sqitching. Definitally wire the seccond tone knob to the bridge pup, and consider locking tuners if you're a wammy *****.
Quote by boonsnic
im glancing around at locking tuners... what is the basic consensus on the best brand? and then if possible a url link?

Sperzels...But stock tuners aren't bad. If you experience tuning instability, you need a graphite nut, lubrication at certain points (underneath the string trees) and better stringing technique.
Here's a link on stringing:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html
anyone have a link on how to wire the second tone knob to the bridge pickup? and what is it normally wired to?
Quote by boonsnic
anyone have a link on how to wire the second tone knob to the bridge pickup? and what is it normally wired to?

You can find that on guitarnuts.com along with the shielding guide forsaknazrael recommended.

EDIT: Here's the link. http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/bridgetone.php
Last edited by crust_punk at Feb 20, 2008,
Really you don't need locking tuners. I go crazy using the trem on my strat and it barely goes out of tune. And a pickup change would be a good idea. I'm going to put Seymour Duncan's "California '50's" pickups in mine once I get the money. Also, I'm going to wire the middle tone control to the bridge.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I highly recommend Graphtech Ferraglide bridge saddles. My stock vintage-style saddles wore down and started breaking strings. Ferraglides stay in tune better, sound better, and I've never broken a string since I put them on almost a year ago.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
i recommend Gotoh/Kluson vintage style tuners with a conversion bushing, then get some www.rockmonkeyguitars.com smoothe groove pickups.

shield your cavity, get some good wiring in there. that'll do wonders.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i understand the mod switches the rear tone control to the bridge pickup.... but what does the knob originally control pre-mod?
^what are you talking about? there's... more than just one mod u know?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Since this is a thread on the Fender MIMs.........sorry to hijack, but I've got a question......

Basically, I found a MIM Strat in a local pawn shop a few days ago. Beautiful cream white color, really liked the feel of it. Didn't have a chance to plug it in and try it, though.

Now, my current guitar is a Epiphone Dot Studio, which I eventually plan on upgrading. I've found it pretty decent and exceptionally sturdy in construction, though the sound never quite suited me.

The Strat's going for $300. I bought the Dot new, plus a hardshell case, for maybe $330.

What should I do? Trade for the Strat, or don't?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
why not just get $300 and buy the strat?

put it on layaway maybe?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Because I have no easy access to $300?

It'd have to be a trade of sorts. So the Dot would be gone.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's usually a separate tone knob for the neck pickup and a separate one for the middle pickup.
And yes, you can find out how to do it on that site. SeymourDuncan.com also has a diagram.

Well, the answer was right here.

And you can change it so a tone knob controls the neck and a tone knob controls the bridge, or you can change is so a tone knob controls the neck and middle, and a tone knob controls the bridge...or you can have the bridge and middle on one control.
or u can have a master tone control with a fender TBX tone control.

and then a 500k volume control

and a 250k nothing control.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I have a MIM strat. I was pretty happy with it for a while but later decided to upgrade the tuners and bridge. I got Schaller locking tuners and a Wilkinson 5+1 bridge. I like it lot better now. I did want to upgrade the pickups, but that will wait for a while. I'm not playing out or with a band at high volume, so I don't see the need for it just yet. Plus it's a bit expensive to replace all three.

And I think it sounds pretty good anyway. Here's an example of my MIM Fat strat:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=795734&songID=6185395