I'm getting a new bass soon and want either a Fender or a Rickenbacker. I decided that first I'd ask what would be the better deal. So which bass plays better, or is there a difference.
its really personal preference i think. me, id go for the rickenbacker.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
The best way to figure this out is to go to a Guitar Center or something and try them. It's really a matter of personal preference.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
I <3 my Fender P bass. It's so versitile. and cheaper.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Quote by zeppelin42
I'm getting a new bass soon and want either a Fender or a Rickenbacker. I decided that first I'd ask what would be the better deal. So which bass plays better, or is there a difference.

What Fender are you talking about? Each Fender is different and has different pros and cons. By Rick I presume you mean the 4003 ?

In this price range make sure you look at EBMM's and Warwicks too.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I would definitely go for the Rickenbacker everybody has a fender they're way overrated plus Rickenbackers sound kickass, and look awesome!
"Leave The Novelist In His Daydream Tomb,
Leave The Scientist In Her Rubik's Cube,
Let The True Genius In The Padded Room Remain"
Bright Eyes - I Must Belong Somwhere
I really depends what you are looking for. A high end Fender Jazz is incredibly versatile and is the jack of all trades. The Rics have a very distinctive sound, but that sound is unique and sexy (IMHO).
Hmmm, well unless you know a specific store that is selling a Ric, it is going to be a very long time before you actually recieve it. If I remember correctly, upwards of 2 years.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Feb 20, 2008,
Well, it's not always that long, it depends what colour you decide to go for! Try both out and decide for yourself!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I have both a Jetglo Ric 4001 and sunburst Fender Jazz bass. I like them both and they have distinct personalities. Lookswise, the Rics are very unique. Almost every show I've played someone would comment that they'd never seen one before or call it a "Geezer Butler"/"Rick James bass". The Rics are very pricey and are made only in the US. Not many people want to work on them. The Jazz bass has a much wider appeal. It's made both here and abroad. It has a very classic tone that works with just about anything. That's just my thought on the matter.
Try them both out and see what you think.
Have you played a bass from either of these brands? If not, make that your priority then decide off that.

I would personally buy a Fender, and to whoever said that everyone has them and they're overrated, they must be doing something right for thousands of pros to have bought and used them over their time in production. Also, NEVER let the fact that "everyone else has one" even cross your mind when buying a bass, if it works for you then it's good, I'd much rather have a bass that I felt comfortable with the feel an tone of, but everyone else had one, rather than owning something I hate the feel and tone of, but no-one else has one so I look all awesome and individual.

/rant
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
In my opinion, nobody will ever say a Rickenbacker is a bass with a lot of value. You get what you pay for, construction-wise. They're not "amazing deals". Whether or not you like what you pay for is on you.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
In my opinion, nobody will ever say a Rickenbacker is a bass with a lot of value. You get what you pay for, construction-wise. They're not "amazing deals". Whether or not you like what you pay for is on you.

I'd say a Ric is a bass with a lot of value but they ain't for everyone.
Quote by Zycho

It has a lot of value, but you pay for it. Some brands have stuff which makes you really feel like you got a bargin.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Zycho

I think value is getting a Fender for much cheaper than a Thunderbird, whereas with the price of a Ric, you're not getting a "good deal." You're paying the exact price of what the instrument is worth.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I would want a ric, but I do not think my skills as a bassist have advanced far enough as to deserve one.

I find that a Rick is sort of a mythical beast, if you know how to ride it good you will find yourself with a worthwhile companion, if not, well, I guess it would eat you, after tearing out your intestines and decorating you with them to make a nice pretty picture while you slowly bleed to death on the floor.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by thefitz
I think value is getting a Fender for much cheaper than a Thunderbird, whereas with the price of a Ric, you're not getting a "good deal." You're paying the exact price of what the instrument is worth.

Oh alright, I misinterpreted that. I thought you were calling them cheap or something along those lines.
if i had to choose between the two, i would choose the Jazz. the Rick is an incredible instrument, but it's sound is limited. as i have said before, if the Rick could sound like a Jazz, it would rule the bass world.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
if i had to choose between the two, i would choose the Jazz. the Rick is an incredible instrument, but it's sound is limited. as i have said before, if the Rick could sound like a Jazz, it would rule the bass world.

But Rick...it wouldn't sound like a Ric then

I love the twang of a classic Ric---it reminds me of classic British rock. Sigh...
go play some.
But I like Ric.
feel+sound+look=ric
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I would love to have a rick but the fender jazz just takes my breath away. The versatility and the sound is incredible.
The Rickenbacker gives me orgasms. But i doubt i'll get my hands on one for at least 5 years. The distinct sound is so.. GREAT - goes off into own world.

Tralalala
Out of interest..And an incredible urge to buy a rick [for future reference]

Where could i find a dealer in melbourne?
I gotta be honest - I tried a Ric a few months ago, and while it was a fantastic piece and was extremely well built, it didn't "grab me." I kinda said "this is nice... now, where was that Warwick Vampyre SN?"

Personally, I found it a bit too light and thin. It didn't feel "weapony" enough for me. However, the construction was just flawless.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I may be the only bassist alive, who doesn't get what the big deal is with how Ricenbackers look

personally I think it looks like the shape of a dead cow, stuck to a neck, with an interesting head stock, so it gets points for that...

I like Manis from the stone roses, but his Ric doesnt look like the 4003 or whatever, same with that one in the new Arctic Monkeys video

Soundwise though, I think they are awesome and unique

just,dont like the looks of most of them

*sigh* Prepares for flaming
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I fell in love with the music from the '60s "British Invasions". I liked the look and sound of Rics from that point on. Whether it was seeing pictures of George Harrison, John Lennon, Pete Townsend or Roger Waters I really thought it was cool.
I just went into a guitar store to get my truss rod adjusted and i saw a rickenbacker 4003 on this stall. OH MY GOD. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. i asked the manager ifi could have a play and he said no, "we don't want to get one of our best basses to be wrecked by some kid".
]: He has a point in saying it but it was so.. niice. D:

Anyway, this was i australia, melbourne, if any bassist on UG are in australia and ]dying for a ric. [Pm me for details]
In my experience, a Ric will get that distinct tone, and... well, that distinct tone. A Fender Jazz can get that tone with a little bit of work, and still can get just about any other tone you'll need. If you think you'll only want the Ric tone, buy it; they're great instruments. I'm not about to put them down, they're solid, albeit expensive. I went with the MIA Jazz because I needed a lot of versatility.

To reiterate, try them both out.
Versetility + Great Construction + Amazing lows, highs, mids + Good looks + great price = Both!??

Both are great choices, but I personally like Fender. Everyone and their grandma has a fender. Do you wonder why? Because it's a quality instrument that will last you a long time. This statement is a tad bias because I've only played a few Rics and I own a Fender, but I've always loved the sound of a good Fender through a good amp.

So I'm going to suggest the Fender in this case.
The only way I'd take a Rick over a Fender was if it was green with black hardware and pickguard. Other than that, give me an American Fender any day over a Rickenbacker. The tone is just that much fatter and sexier. Especially a P-bass.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
The only way I'd take a Rick over a Fender was if it was green with black hardware and pickguard.

This sort of thing? I wouldn't mind owning that.
There is no "one ring to rule them all", so it is a matter of choice.

However, in my opinion, the Ricky is the best looking man-made object ever.

(Well, maybe the Coke bottle comes close. )