What's up UG community!? I have been playin' acoustic for about 3-4 years and I purchased my first electric not too long ago. I love my acoustic alot, but it seems that I can't seem to make a good transition onto electric yet. I don't currently own an amp yet, but I go to music stores to try out amps. I just can't seem to get a rather clean sound as I get from the acoustic. For example, I can play the intro to Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home" relatively well on acoustic, but when I play it on my electric it sounds horrible. It's almost like I mute strings without even tryin' and it's really annoying. I think this is a problem cause I'm so used to my acoustic neck. Anybody ever experience the same problem and if so, what would you suggest to help transition better? Thanks everyone!
I had a problem transitioning from an old fender to an epiphone. Just stick with it and you'll get used to it.
It's a different type of playing. You just need to know how to handle the electric, it'll take a little time but you'll get it in no time. It's a matter of knowing how the pickups respond to your playing, and getting used to the feel of the neck and strings. Can take time, but it's not too hard after a short while.

As for sounds, make sure you're using a GOOD amp for one, and also you WILL NOT be able to get a true acoustic sound out of an electric. Clean electric is not supposed to sound the same as acoustic.

Hope that helps you out a bit.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by modernp
And don't fret down as hard as you would with an acoustic.

+1, on the higher Strings you can actually Press down so hard they Go sharp. Its annoying and it happens to me after playing acoustic for too long. Just give it a while and you should get used to it. I Personally found it way easier to play everything on Electric.