Just bought some zakk wylde GHS boomers, 11-70, with the intention of tuning my guitar down to drop B or similar. All the strings fitted in fine, until i got to the low E, with its monster dimensions. The low E wouldn't fit into the slot in the machine head, where it ought to go. Any suggestions UG? please save me....

Guitar is an ESP LTD truckster, and so the tuners are Sperzel locking units.
I have never actually seen strings that wouldn't fit in the machine head.

That said, prepare to be flamed for buying ZW Signature stuff.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Hmm...
Drill a bigger hole, or return the strings or something.
I'd just return the strings.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Two Options,
1. But a new machine head
2. Drill a bigger hole.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
When you lock the tuners, I think (I'm not sure, I've never used them) there is some mechanism that locks the string inside the machine head? The specific hole that the string goes through, correct? Maybe you didn't fully unlock the string.
If that doesn't work, hit up a local shop and buy a low E of a smaller gauge.
Well, I'd rather not return the strings as I was intending to start playing in some nice low tunings, and so would like to use thick strings. Drill a bigger hole, being the free option compared with buying a new machine head (in which there would be no guarantee of it fitting anyway), might be the best plan, any other ideas on the go though?
unwind some of the winding stuff?

.7 is fatter than half the strings on my bass! excessive methinks, good luck tho!
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by metadrix
Well, I'd rather not return the strings as I was intending to start playing in some nice low tunings, and so would like to use thick strings. Drill a bigger hole, being the free option compared with buying a new machine head (in which there would be no guarantee of it fitting anyway), might be the best plan, any other ideas on the go though?

You don't need a .70 for lower tunings. Just get a set of heavy bottoms or like strings... Hell I use Daddario XL110's and spend most of the time in Drop C.
just return the strings and buy the smaller set with a 0.60 E. that works fine for B and such
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by metadrix
Just bought some zakk wylde GHS boomers, 11-70, with the intention of tuning my guitar down to drop B or similar. All the strings fitted in fine, until i got to the low E, with its monster dimensions. The low E wouldn't fit into the slot in the machine head, where it ought to go. Any suggestions UG? please save me....

Guitar is an ESP LTD truckster, and so the tuners are Sperzel locking units.

How can you bastardize a Truckster like that?

If you must, I say use a dremel and rout out the hole away from the mechanical part of the locking tuner....

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by metadrix

be careful not to **** ur guitar up.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
You really don't need a .70 it will just be ridiculously tight and you won't be able to go above C at best. I go from standard and B on a .52 and that works fine Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys would be the best alternative i think if you really want thick strings.
Not really fancying trying to drill a hole in a machine head for the sake of one string, so methinks I'll put it all back in its box, package it up, and send it back to thomann in exchange for some different ones. I had a feeling the moment it didn't fit that I was ****ed. Thanks anyhow UG
Quote by Walternativo
be careful not to **** ur guitar up.

haha Sound advice I'd say.
Just get some lighter strings. Low B can be handled by pretty much anything .50 and above, so just get something in that range.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
u'd never get the new hole smooth enough, probably cut thru furture strings like butter, or weaken the tuner to the point where it could break anyway.

glad to see you decided to pack the strings up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by metadrix
Not really fancying trying to drill a hole in a machine head for the sake of one string, so methinks I'll put it all back in its box, package it up, and send it back to thomann in exchange for some different ones. I had a feeling the moment it didn't fit that I was ****ed. Thanks anyhow UG

You bought a single pack of strings from Thomman or more things too?

Either way, .70 is a HUGE size to use, it'll be ridiculously tight when tuned up.

You really don't need a size like that for tuning down to Drop B, try a standard pack of .11's or .12's.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
it was part of a larger order... im hardly about to pay double the value of an item again in delivery...
wow, wtf are you thinking
a .7....
im in drop c most of the time with 11s on my guitar
DRs ftw