Well I'm changing strings on my acoustic for the first time. However, the pins appear to be stuck, and I can't get them out. I understand there are tools for this, however, I do not own such tools. Is it possible to remove the pins without those?
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
yeah there are a few ways...

1. take some pliers and gently pull them out. you will want to use a napkin or something between the pliers and the pin to keep from scratching it up.

2. push the pins out from inside the guitar. to do this you want to use a pick or a coin and place it between your thumb and the bottom of the pin. then use your other hand to brace the top of the guitar on the outside just behind the bridge. you should be able to push the pins out this way.

3. try grabbing the string about 1-2 inches above the bridge pin. hold it straight so that it is perpindicular to the top of the guitar. then quickly, but not forcefully push it down inside the guitar and pull it back up. this will often loosen the pin.
did number two and worked just fine
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Buy a $2 string winder, like a Dunlop. They have pin pullers built in, and you won't kill your wrist when changing strings. Best $2 you'll ever spend, I promise.
^uhhh i don't believe that has anything to do with the topic...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
He is referring to the pin pulling notch on the end of the winder. It's a very useful little tool.
Quote by C.C. Deville
^uhhh i don't believe that has anything to do with the topic...

actually his post was relevant... i think it's your post that doesn't have anything to do with the topic...

and now this post as well
the string winder pin pullers dont always work depending on the type of pin you have. with my pin, sometimes it goes far enough into the groove that the pin puller wont be able to get at it. they usually work however, and are quite good. be careful not to scratch the top of your guitar while using it. i've done that a few times... and i have a cedar top with satin finish. it's so dinged up, haha.
Use that number 3 option. Push the string in a little, then pull the pin out. Works every time.
^ Yep. Gotta break that lock created by the ball wedged in place.
ooooo, yeah i thought we were talking about something else =(
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.