I went to a local store and asked them if they could install pickups on my guitar.

The guy said he would do it but there would be a 50% chance they wouldn't work and he can't be held responsible. Is that complete BS?

I would attempt to do it myself but i suck with wires and stuff. I failed at installing pickups in an old guitar.

edit- Does Guitar Center do pickup installations and stuff like that? I also have some locking tuners i want put on.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by SideshowRaven24
thats BS. he doesnt know what hes doing.

I think it's more that he's trying to rip me off because i didn't buy the pickups from him. The first thing he said was "I usually don't install parts that weren't bought from me"

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
there seems to be a lot of ripping off regarding pickup installation

if he cant do that, he doesnt deserve to be running a guitr shop

50% business is crap tho
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i have a great idea, go to an actual guitar store any place that needs 2 rip you off for buisness obvouisly doesnt care about guitars as much as any1 els who has a pation for.

rofl, and not 2 menchain, theres no like random chance it will work or not, if u know what ur doing and u dont **** up, its 100% it will work
Last edited by Magnificoamar at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by Magnificoamar
i have a great idea, go to an actual guitar store any place that needs 2 rip you off for buisness obvouisly doesnt care about guitars as much as any1 els who has a pation for.

rofl, and not 2 menchain, theres no like random chance it will work or not, if u know what ur doing and u dont **** up, its 100% it will work

Yeah, with my personality, I would have ended up confronting him about it on the spot.
That's just not right.
Just do it yourself.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
just install them urself its easier and if u mess up u can just keep trying
Quote by Dyers
just install them urself its easier and if u mess up u can just keep trying

Yeah, it's not like if you wire it wrong it'll blow up.
If you have no clue what you're doing, you just keep putting things places until you get it right. Haha.
Do it yourself.

The great thing about failing at installing pickups is that you can, almost 100% of the time, try again. Pickups are very hard to break.

Then there's MULTIPLE sites with tons of wiring diagrams. And then there's UG. Plenty of people on here who have installed their own pickups.

So if you've got your own soldering iron, and 60/40 lead/tin solder....DIY.
The problem last time was probably your soldering, so:
http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/how_to_solder.htm
It's actually very easy. Remove strings, remove pickup surrounds from guitar, remove pickups from surrounds, see where the current wires go. Should only be 2. Desolder wires, meaning put a soldering iron on the solder and pull the wire until it comes off. Solder new wire in exact same spot. Do this for both wires and you are done. Then attach pickup to surround, attach surround to guitar, restring. Actually I put the pickups in first, then solder, but you don't know what you are doing, then do one at a time.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah