Well I recently got a brand new PRS SE EG S/S/H, and i love it, but I want to play some metal and hardcore on it. The stock pick-ups are a bit too weak, and noisy, and loose. At first I thought put some EMGs in it, which would be nice, or a SD JB in the bridge, but then I remembered that I have a SD '59 from another guitar lying around. So I'm wondering if it can do metal like Lamb of God, Bullet for My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Protest The Hero, etc. and hardcore like Cancer Bats, Chiodos, Comeback Kid, etc.with the '59. I'll install it later to see how it sounds but I just want to know before-hand what to expect. I have a Peavey Valveking and I'm looking for plenty of gain, and a nice and tight sound.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Last edited by jack_the_ripper at Feb 20, 2008,
I have the lil 59 and it is pretty high out put. Great pickup for doing alot of differnt styles, it will do metal but an active EMG will sound a ton better with the VK.
You'd probably be better off with a Custom to be honest, but there's no harm in trying the 59.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
why do you need a specific pick up to play metal? it seems like everyone plays the same guitar in metal bands. go out and buy a tele, you'll be sure to stand out from the crowd.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
On most guitars that come with a Duncan JB in the bridge you get a 59 in the neck. While I can't speak from personal experience, I doubt that companies like ESP and Schechter would put crappy humbuckers in their guitars. As both of those companies are renowned for metal and hard rock so I'd say that it would be safe bet that you could play metal and hardcore on a 59........Come to think of it I think that Jackson use 59's in some models too.
Quote by steven seagull
You'd probably be better off with a Custom to be honest, but there's no harm in trying the 59.

+1

The only metal band you listed was Children of Bodom.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
defenatly LoG. Willie uses the JB/59 combination

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by doctorums
why do you need a specific pick up to play metal? it seems like everyone plays the same guitar in metal bands. go out and buy a tele, you'll be sure to stand out from the crowd.

O_o
Excuse M...
no...
no, JUST
no.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by doctorums

there are plenty of metal/hxcore players who use teles......

your point=FAIL
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Well there has been very mixed views so far, and also I plan putting the '59 in the bridge position not neck like where they normally are.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07

Quote by doctorums

I don't need a specific pick-up, but certain pick-ups sound better for certain genres. Also, I won't buy a tele since that's not what I'm after, in fact in my original post I said I had just gotten a new guitar that I'm very happy with. Also I've seen quite a few hardcore bands play teles. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I don't want useless advice either, and as a bonus this thread doubles as a bump, so it's all good.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07

Quote by BleedDeathMetal
+1

The only metal band you listed was Children of Bodom.

Lamb of God is more metal than Children of Bodom. Keyboards + metal = Elton John. [/Elitisism]

The '59 can do metal but I prefer Dimarzio pickups for metal. They do it better IMHO.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Lamb of God is more metal than Children of Bodom. Keyboards + metal = Elton John. [/Elitisism]

The '59 can do metal but I prefer Dimarzio pickups for metal. They do it better IMHO.

Elton John is the king of metal PERIOD

The Pickup sould do fine for that type TS