Hey all, dont understand how this is working

http://www.justinguitar.com/html/chords_scales_html/Scale_Major.html
(go to tabs of scales-"E shape")

I play E maj scale like this starting 12th fret (second finger) in the video (2) this guy starts 3 rd fret of E i.e the note G but calls it "E shape" WHAT?!

Also he doesnt play all the notes i.e some of the black ones??

Also he doesnt finish on same note he starts on??
Last edited by addthelad28 at Feb 20, 2008,
I see that you still online and I'd like to help you, but you need to be WAY more specific. What is it exactly that you don't understand?
Guitar Pro songs (All C4C):
[thread="1421028"]"Red Flag"[/thread]
[thread="1347177"]"Smile!"[/thread]
[thread="1339706"]"Drifted"[/thread]
[thread="876706"]"Lynna"[/thread]
[thread="700362"]"Airwaves"[/thread]
Quote by addthelad28
Hey all, dont understand how this is working

http://www.justinguitar.com/html/chords_scales_html/Scale_Major.html
(go to tabs of scales-"E shape")

I play E maj scale like this starting 12th fret (second finger) in the video (2) this guy starts 3 rd fret of E i.e the note G but calls it "E shape" WHAT?!

Also he doesnt play all the notes i.e some of the black ones??

Also he doesnt finish on same note he starts on??

On the page you linked, go back and read/re-read the "Notes about the CAGED" section.
Guitar Pro songs (All C4C):
[thread="1421028"]"Red Flag"[/thread]
[thread="1347177"]"Smile!"[/thread]
[thread="1339706"]"Drifted"[/thread]
[thread="876706"]"Lynna"[/thread]
[thread="700362"]"Airwaves"[/thread]
Last edited by Freeze1186 at Feb 20, 2008,
I dosent matter where you start or stop
and the E major scale looks like this

you're propably thinking box shapes
it does matter were you start because otherwise it will become a mode
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
^Don't bring modes into this; he doesn't need to worry about them yet.

Look at that scale he calls the E scale at the 12 fret. That is a pattern. You can move the pattern all over the neck. If you start the pattern on an E note, it is an E scale. if you start it on G, it's a G scale.
Okay, what he is doing is playing through the E-form scale in G major. What this means is that he is playing the 1st form of the CAGED scales. It is simply called E-form but it can be played anywhere on the neck and it will still be a major scale. The other 4 CAGED scale forms are all positioned relative to where the E-form scale begins so that all five are in the same key. The reason that he went past the high G is that he went to scale degree 2. The scale doesn't need to be played this way but a lot of people do play it that way. Also, the only note that he cut out when playing it was the leading tone before the tonic, ie. he cut out the first black note on the low-E string because that is not where the scale technically begins. Anyways, I hope that was helpful to you.
Bangoodcharlote (hear hear) This is how iv learnt major scale for each key like you just said. Why learn other patterns for the same scale?

I understand modes for major scale and where they come from but dont know how to play any. Are these something to get to only once you can play major scale all over the shot?

Am making big efforts on theory here but think its perhaps best learnt in ways i can apply first of all.. Man it really snowballs-kinda hard to know what to take on.

Any help really appreciated guys!
Quote by addthelad28
Bangoodcharlote (hear hear) This is how iv learnt major scale for each key like you just said. Why learn other patterns for the same scale?

I understand modes for major scale and where they come from but dont know how to play any. Are these something to get to only once you can play major scale all over the shot?

yes, once you're finished meomrizing a major scale (take c maj for example) all over the fretboard youll find that you've memorized a whole set of modes in different keys (c ionian, d dorian, e phygrian...etc)
Quote by psychoticmonkey
Okay, what he is doing is playing through the E-form scale in G major. What this means is that he is playing the 1st form of the CAGED scales. It is simply called E-form but it can be played anywhere on the neck and it will still be a major scale. The other 4 CAGED scale forms are all positioned relative to where the E-form scale begins so that all five are in the same key. The reason that he went past the high G is that he went to scale degree 2. The scale doesn't need to be played this way but a lot of people do play it that way. Also, the only note that he cut out when playing it was the leading tone before the tonic, ie. he cut out the first black note on the low-E string because that is not where the scale technically begins. Anyways, I hope that was helpful to you.

Cheers dude, and every 1 else too. Why go to degree 2 on scale? Also why learn all the 5 ways of playing major scale? I mean 5 sounds the same as 1 ?

Also u say once u learn c maj all over fretboard Rockfreak : Dont u learn the 5 shapes then apply them to each key? So learn where to use 5 shapes and u can play each key in each shape?
Last edited by addthelad28 at Feb 20, 2008,
The major scale shape is applicable anywhere on the neck, because all major scales starting at the root follow the same interval pattern: whole step, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half. It's an easy way to remember your major scales.
Quote by addthelad28
If you just know the one pattern, you will only be able to play in a three-fret span of the neck. That is incredibly limiting. Make a point of learning how to use the entire neck. Not yet, of course. Crawl before you walk.

Quote by addthelad28
You might know a little about modes, but if you can't play them, it's unlikely that you understand them fully. The "learn your theory" link in my sig explains modes very well, as well as many other important aspects of music theory. I suggest you read it.
Quote by led,rainsong
it does matter were you start because otherwise it will become a mode

No, it won't. The progression determines the mode. All scales and all modes cover the entire fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by addthelad28
Cheers dude, and every 1 else too. Why go to degree 2 on scale? Also why learn all the 5 ways of playing major scale? I mean 5 sounds the same as 1 ?

Also u say once u learn c maj all over fretboard Rockfreak : Dont u learn the 5 shapes then apply them to each key? So learn where to use 5 shapes and u can play each key in each shape?

shapes are a just a way of memorizing scales.
learning a shape and trying to solo with it is very limiting
and keys dont relate to shapes
Also why learn all the 5 ways of playing major scale? I mean 5 sounds the same as 1 ?

Yes...why be able to play all over the fretboard when you can restrict yourself to three frets.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Why not just learn the notes all across the fretboard first? Then, once you know how the major scale is comprised, you can play it instantly in any key. This idea worked for me, at least.
^That's important to do, but not practical at first. If you learn a few box shapes, you can play quite a bit of stuff and have fun, but then work on learning the fretboard and all that good stuff.