I watched a few people play on lessons and crap and I saw that there picking hand fingers (the fingers not holding the pick) were straight and not curled up. How can you do this? I tried playing like that and my fingers automatically curl, is that bad?
I think its something that comes with practice. I heard your fingers have a natural tendency to curl like that, so I wouldnt say its bad. Just practice on keeping your fingers straight. I have been playin for over 2 years and still have problems with my pinky.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
So the only fingers holding the pick are the thumb and the index, and the others are straight out right? thats how I naturally do it, but it doesnt matter which way as long as it feels right to you. So if your fingers curl then let em curl.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Oh I see! Yes, it just comes with practice. Try using all your fingers quite regularly. Try learning and playing the chromatic scale thats a very good technique on getting your finger dexterity better.
Haha,
I'm actually the opposite,
If I try to make my fingers curl, it gets too uncomfortable for me.
Play however feels comfortable for you.
Closed or open hand picking makes no real difference. Use whichever your hand wants to do naturally.
if your fingers curl its not a big deal, mine do too. If it works for you than its fine, as long as the pick is perpendicular to the fretboard.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Mine arent really straight, theyr just straight enough to not hit the strings with my fingers, wich happened before.
Just play how it feels more comfortable.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

i kind of have a weird thing going on, When im soloing im middle finger dominant, whcih means i hold my pick between my middle finger and thumb leaving my index finger for tapping. But when im plam muting im index finger dominant. im trying to develop dominance in my middle finger on the lower strings so i can stick to one pick position.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)