hey dudes ive got a crappy strat copy (westfield) and want to make it sound better, im looking for some quality pickups (prefrably under £60) i also saw a pre wired original fender scratchplate with oringinal pickups for about 50 pounds, would it be easyer to buy it or would it sound better to instal new pickups ( i dont mind soldering alot)
It would be easier to just buy the prewired pickguard (you wouldn't have to wire in the pickups, just drop the new pickguard in, solder the bridge ground, and go), but where's the fun in that?

What amp do you have/what kind of stuff do you play?
hey, i have a marshal dfx 50 i think its is... u know the 50 watt with the digital effects. i like to play alot, blink, less than jake (ska), guns n roses, red hot chillis....really anythin except heavy metal im gonna eventually get a real les paul but until then this is all i can do
You are not going to find good strat pickups for 50 quid. Bring your max price up by 30 or 40 and I could make some suggestions.

I'd stay away from real fender pickups unless they are 60's or older. New fender pickups suck donkey balls. Also, most stock guitars come with crappy pots that suck tone so if you are looking at a fender pickgaurd with fender pickups and fender pots then you will still need to replace the pickups and the pots if you really want to sound good.
Not taking any online orders.
hey chris, do u recommend 500k master volume control with my 7.7k, 7.8k, 7.7k pickup sets?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^Those pickups are horrible. The singles have plastic bobbins, steel poles, and ceramic magnets. On a strat single coil pickup that just makes them sound lifeless. The humbucker has a brass bassplate which is a really bad sign as well. Stay away from fender pickups.

What type of music are you looking to play and what kind of amp do you have? To recomend pickups that you will like I have to know what you want to do with them.

Quote by ECistheBest
hey chris, do u recommend 500k master volume control with my 7.7k, 7.8k, 7.7k pickup sets?

Only if you want to brighten them up a bit. Most people still prefer them with 250K pots. I know a few people that have 1m resistor connecting the 1st and 2nd lugs on a 500K pot and really liked that too. They say it makes the pot sound half way between 250K and 500K. I've never tried it though.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 22, 2008,
hey dude as i said before i have a marshall dfx 50 and i like playing alot, mainly green day/ blink type stuff but also a little bit of red hot chilli peppers and guns n roses
maybe look at some of the mini humbuckers, they would give you a better sound for what you play, and probably with the marshall, even though its SS

why not get a new guitar? the woods and everything aren't gonna be great on the copy
lol@u
hey CorduroyEW, what are the '54 custom strat pickups like, do you know? cheers
Quote by higgy30
hey dude as i said before i have a marshall dfx 50 and i like playing alot, mainly green day/ blink type stuff but also a little bit of red hot chilli peppers and guns n roses

In your case I would recomend some of my pickups (I know what you are thinking, but most people can tell you that I don't just go around recomending my pickups to everybody)

Greenday and blink stick to the bridge pickup. Greenday uses a single coil pickup with alnico magnets while blink uses the duncan invader. I'd recomend you find a compramise. A humbucker with 12 adjustable poles wound to around 15K with an alnico 5 magnet. The alnico magnet will help you get your Greenday(ish) tone when you use a coil tap while the 2 sets of adjustable poles will give you a tone that is Blink(ish) while you have both coils on. With a pickup like this you are going to compromise on both tones but at the same time, it should get you close enough and it'll sound really good.

In the middle pickup I'd go with a swingin' warm. It'll give you a hotter than standard middle pickup that will work very well for just about any type of modern rock that you would want to play on a strat.

In the neck I'd suggest a Smooth Groove 1962. This will give you a classic pre CBS fender chime. John frusciante of the RHCP uses 1962 strats for most of his playing. John Mayer modled his neck pickup on his strat on the Pre CBS fender pickups, and lets not forget SRV. Most of his guitars used pickups from '62 or '63. So this neck pickup will take you anywhere from classic rock to RHCP.

Quote by Babylou
hey CorduroyEW, what are the '54 custom strat pickups like, do you know? cheers

They are not bad but they are horribly overpriced and construction quality is very low. If you want brand name formvar single coils look into some of the Seymour Duncan stuff. He used to have some 54 style pickups built to a much higher standard for significantly less money than the fender pickups.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 22, 2008,
hey man i checked out rock monkey, i have to say i'm impressed, two questions, do you do any in black and what combination would you recommend for the Hendrix/ blues sound, thanks
^you mean black covers? Yeah, I do those.

If you are really seriouse about Hendrix tone then I'd suggest some pickups that I don't have on my site yet. They will be wound to 1969 specs with PE wire. The wire for these is hard to come by (only one company in the world still makes it) and is expensive so they will cost about 20% more than my other single coil pickups but it's the best way to get that late 60's tone.

Something that will be almost as good would be my swingin' cool pickups. They use poly wire which has the same tonal quality as PE but with a 'wet' sound rather than the 'dry' sound you get from PE. Truth is, in blind tests only about half the people can tell a difference between the 2.

On the other hand, most blues guys like my SG-CEW in the neck and middle and they like a swingin' warm in the bridge. With this combo the neck and middle will give you smooth tone with lots of classic chime, loose bass, and lots of sparkle and clarity in the high end. The bridge would give you a fat powerfull sound that is good for anything that sounds good on a strat. If you went with a swingin' cool in the bridge it would give you better Hendrix tone but then your bridge would sound week when compaired to the neck and middle.

So how is that for an open ended recomendation? A little more detail about what exactly you want would help me narrow it down a bit more.
hey dude id prefer to keep a single coil bridge cause thts what my guitar is already
Then I'd suggest a Smooth Groove '62 in the neck and a Swingin' Warm in the middle and Bridge
or would it be easy to pick these up with a perloid white pickguard to fit
Quote by higgy30
or would it be easy to pick these up with a perloid white pickguard to fit

I can. I could even do it with a fully loaded pickgaurd but the pickgaurd and pots would through you over budget. Still, I can get you anything you want from www.allparts.uk.com for 10% less than their price so if you shop around on their site and find exactly what you want you could let me know and I could get it for you and wire it all up for you.
so how much would it cost to have a black pre-wired pickguard, with a smooth groove '62 and two swingin warms with black covers? thanks
Depends... What color pickgaurd do you want? The basic 3ply pickgaurds are anywhere from 13 quid to 30 quid depending on the colour you want. Let me know the pickgaurd you want and what country you live in and I'll PM you and itemised list with the price of pickups, pots, shipping... the works. Most people in the USA find it's cheaper for them to buy the parts themselves and pay somebody to do the work because in the USA you can buy this stuff a lot cheaper than I can get it in the UK. People in the UK find it cheaper to have me do the work for them.