So, I got my Bad Monkey from zzounds earlier today, and I'm a little worried. I bought it pretty much as a boost, looking to get more volume for my solos than anything. But, when I use it on my Mesa F30's distortion channel, with the contour on, the volume doesn't go up at all, even with the level at 10. The gain boost is pretty negligible, as well. I'm a complete pedal n00b, this is the first one I've owned in playing about 3.5 years, so am I doing it wrong? Or was I misinformed about this being the right pedal for me?
Quote by Chaosinborn
probably should have gone with an EQ pedal. Or an overdrive.

The Bad Monkey is an OD, isn't it?
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Quote by Chaosinborn
Hehe your right. Are you running it through the fx loop?

nope. Tried it, though. Sounded like garbage.
Quote by Chaosinborn
try an eq then

But I was told that an OD pedal like the BM would give me a gain AND volume boost. It's giving me neither. It gives me a little extra gain on the clean channel, but on channel 2 it's giving me nothing.
Your not going to much of a volume boost on the distortion Channel of the amp because of the way the preamp tubes work, you are merly stacking distortions. You can get a volume boost on the clean channel but on the OD side it will only drive your amp a little harder, give you more sustain, and a little volume, but not volume much at all really.
Eigh, some pedals and amps just dislike each other. Sod luck?

The BM is an 808/TS9 clone, remember. Neither are designed to be terribbly gainy.

Have you tried a fresh battery?
Quote by the.spine.surfs

That's what I was going to ask.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Eigh, some pedals and amps just dislike each other. Sod luck?

The BM is an 808/TS9 clone, remember. Neither are designed to be terribbly gainy.

I just got it this afternoon, do you think the factory- installed battery might be garbage?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I just got it this afternoon, do you think the factory- installed battery might be garbage?

Someone already answered your question...

Your not going to much of a volume boost on the distortion Channel of the amp because of the way the preamp tubes work, you are merly stacking distortions. You can get a volume boost on the clean channel but on the OD side it will only drive your amp a little harder, give you more sustain, and a little volume, but not volume much at all really.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Someone already answered your question...

I realize that. Are you familiar with the concept of second opinions?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I realize that. Are you familiar with the concept of second opinions?

This isn't opinion, it's fact. Tubes respond a certain way when a boost is put in front of them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
you cant use an overdrive pedal and amp distortion at the same time it will sound like ****

trust me. i have a bad monkey
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
you cant use an overdrive pedal and amp distortion at the same time it will sound like ****

Bull****. The whole point of an overdrive pedal is push an already overdriven amp.
Alrighty, I'll be taking advantage of zzound's 30 day return policy, then. Any suggestions for EQ pedals, then? And when I get it, what exactly should I do? Just have the treble cranked and all the other freqencies at 0?

EDIT: And what about a clean boost, like the BBE Boosta Grande?
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Alrighty, I'll be taking advantage of zzound's 30 day return policy, then. Any suggestions for EQ pedals, then? And when I get it, what exactly should I do? Just have the treble cranked and all the other freqencies at 0?

An EQ will do pretty much the same thing but with a little bit more control over your tone.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
The BM is analog, but can an FX pedal be?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard

It will do the same thing.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Bull****. The whole point of an overdrive pedal is push an already overdriven amp.

im just sayim that the more distortion you have on the amp the less that the bad monkey will stand out
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar

+1
You probably can't tell much because it's overshadowed by your amp distortion. Put it on the clean channel and check it out.
Quote by itchy guitar
im just sayim that the more distortion you have on the amp the less that the bad monkey will stand out

It's an OVERDRIVE. It's not supposed to stand out.
Do you even know what the pedal is used for?
Quote by itchy guitar

I 100% agree with you......and I have asked this in another thread. I never and still dont understand how you can stack pedals on the 2nd channel of a tube amp, and get a decent sound. I have been playing guitar my whole life, and have owned a **** ton of amps........like bands like Slayer, in anohter thread people were talking about all the gain, and OD, and distortion that K. King uses.......pedals stacked up, etc. I just dont buy it. His tone would be more of barely audible, feddback-crap, than it already is.

to the guy (archeo avis) that is refuting you without adding anything.....I think you are wrong....an OD is not desinged to stack on an already over driven tone. Why even ask someone if they know what a pedal is used for? It doesnt make you look smart. Know it alls like you suck at life, and probably cant play guitar too well either.

If you arent supposed to distinguish OD tones, why do so many people covet these TS Ibanez pedals?...or any pedal brand for that matter?

Look, maybe I am wrong, but in my EXPERIENCE (this means I have done it.....not just talked about it), all pedals need to be played thru the amps clean channel. You should be able to get that volume boost with the Bad monkey, going stright thru the clean. I am assuming that all amps are tube powered, as 1 thing I know as fact, is that SS amps, and pedal combos, always sound bad. I only play the clean channel on my Fender amp. If I used the amps OD, which sounds pretty terrible, and put a pedal in fron of it.......it will sound even worse.

Originally Posted by Archeo Avis

Is this a correct statement? I dont think it is.
Quote by richgray5
Look, maybe I am wrong, but in my EXPERIENCE (this means I have done it.....not just talked about it), all pedals need to be played thru the amps clean channel.

In my experience, I can put an OD (the Bad Monkey) before the lead channel of my high gain tube amp with the level up on the BM and the gain down and get a tighter sound with more sustain with only a bit more noise added. Subtle difference, but it is there and it really brings out my tone.
12 fret fury
Quote by richgray5
I 100% agree with you......and I have asked this in another thread. I never and still dont understand how you can stack pedals on the 2nd channel of a tube amp, and get a decent sound. I have been playing guitar my whole life, and have owned a **** ton of amps........like bands like Slayer, in anohter thread people were talking about all the gain, and OD, and distortion that K. King uses.......pedals stacked up, etc. I just dont buy it. His tone would be more of barely audible, feddback-crap, than it already is.

to the guy (archeo avis) that is refuting you without adding anything.....I think you are wrong....an OD is not desinged to stack on an already over driven tone. Why even ask someone if they know what a pedal is used for? It doesnt make you look smart. Know it alls like you suck at life, and probably cant play guitar too well either.

If you arent supposed to distinguish OD tones, why do so many people covet these TS Ibanez pedals?...or any pedal brand for that matter?

Look, maybe I am wrong, but in my EXPERIENCE (this means I have done it.....not just talked about it), all pedals need to be played thru the amps clean channel. You should be able to get that volume boost with the Bad monkey, going stright thru the clean. I am assuming that all amps are tube powered, as 1 thing I know as fact, is that SS amps, and pedal combos, always sound bad. I only play the clean channel on my Fender amp. If I used the amps OD, which sounds pretty terrible, and put a pedal in fron of it.......it will sound even worse.

Originally Posted by Archeo Avis

Is this a correct statement? I dont think it is.

Kerry uses a JCM800 with an overdrive. Thats it. Probably a noise gate. Trust me, so many artists use OD's to get slightly more gain and tighten up the sound its not even funny.
^PinkEdit: To richgray5-It is a correct statement. Almost every professional guitarist that uses the amps gain channel has a boost in their pedalchain. Even the people running 5150s and Kranks. I use a Bad Monkey on my gain channel constantly; if the gain is on, the Bad Monkey is on. It adds tons of sustain and tightens up the sound immensely.

So I have to ask; what DO you use an OD pedal for, if not for a gain boost?
I have many Guitar World magazines... and in the Vulgar display of power section there are MANY artiists who say that there OD is on all the time.... one guy (cant remember who but I will try and look through some mags) says

"Its on all the time, even when I am on the clean channel because I dont like my clean to be totally clean"
Quote by which ones pink
^PinkEdit: To richgray5-It is a correct statement. Almost every professional guitarist that uses the amps gain channel has a boost in their pedalchain. Even the people running 5150s and Kranks. I use a Bad Monkey on my gain channel constantly; if the gain is on, the Bad Monkey is on. It adds tons of sustain and tightens up the sound immensely.

So I have to ask; what DO you use an OD pedal for, if not for a gain boost?

....I use it as a "distortion" pedal (for lack of better terminology).

I use only the clean channel, and use pedals to get my dirty tones. I have a Ibanez tube screamer when playing stuff thta doesnt require a ton of gain, and use a Boss metal zone for pretty much everything else. My perception is that the Ibannez and BaD Monkeys are on the lower side of gain, where my Metal zone is on the higher side. Do i make sense?

Am i mis-using my Ibanez pedal?

I think the confusion for me is...."gain boost"....are we talking volume or the dirty-ness of tones.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but now I am intrigued.

So in your case, you run the bad monkey on your 2nd channel.......do you think you cold do that with another pedal like the Metal ZOne? I know my set up will produce crap tones, sqeals, and bad uncontrollable feedback.

thanks for any advice
Quote by stangconv
I have many Guitar World magazines... and in the Vulgar display of power section there are MANY artiists who say that there OD is on all the time.... one guy (cant remember who but I will try and look through some mags) says

"Its on all the time, even when I am on the clean channel because I dont like my clean to be totally clean"

I have seen similar things in the back of Guitar World....the cartoon drawing wih a guitarist and their set ups.....
it just seems strange to me......
Quote by richgray5
....I use it as a "distortion" pedal (for lack of better terminology).

I use only the clean channel, and use pedals to get my dirty tones. I have a Ibanez tube screamer when playing stuff thta doesnt require a ton of gain, and use a Boss metal zone for pretty much everything else. My perception is that the Ibannez and BaD Monkeys are on the lower side of gain, where my Metal zone is on the higher side. Do i make sense?

Am i mis-using my Ibanez pedal?

I think the confusion for me is...."gain boost"....are we talking volume or the dirty-ness of tones.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but now I am intrigued.

So in your case, you run the bad monkey on your 2nd channel.......do you think you cold do that with another pedal like the Metal ZOne? I know my set up will produce crap tones, sqeals, and bad uncontrollable feedback.

thanks for any advice

Running an OD before a distortion pedal would probably give you a bit more gain but it's not really the same thing. When you run an OD in front of the overdrive channel of a valve amp, you're driving the preamp valves harder, thus making the amp distort more. The pedal also tightens up your bass. You'll notice the difference if you palm mute a lot.

Oh and, don't double post!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Running an OD before a distortion pedal would probably give you a bit more gain but it's not really the same thing. When you run an OD in front of the overdrive channel of a valve amp, you're driving the preamp valves harder, thus making the amp distort more. The pedal also tightens up your bass. You'll notice the difference if you palm mute a lot.

AND THE WINNER IS...
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I run a MI audio boost n buff, which is a clean boost, in the effects loop of my amp, and it can raise the volume for solos, heaps.
I put the level on about 10 oclock, and it gives me more than enough volume. so get a clean boost in your effects loop for a solo boost.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Wait woah. Running an OD pedal in front of a tube amp does NOT drive the valves harder. The only thing that can push tubes harder is turning up the volume on the amp itself. An OD pedal doesn't send some kind of magic signal that'll increase the power going into the tubes. All an OD pedal does is clip diodes and shape tone. Clipping diodes with a tube amp may give the illusion that it is driving the tubes harder but it is not.
to the guy (archeo avis) that is refuting you without adding anything.....I think you are wrong....an OD is not desinged to stack on an already over driven tone.

And yet that is how they are advertised, and that it how just about every guitarist on the planet uses them. Yes, they are designed to further push the power tubes in an amplifier.
Lol, look what this thread turned into.

Just wanted to add in, that i have a triple xxx(more gain than you need) and with my bad monkey gain at zero and level at 10 it is used like a boost and sounds great on my lead channel. No uncontrollable feedback(you may want to check your pickups if you have bad feedback), and great solo tone or tightened up rhythm tone like tons of people use it for..

And soon i'll be getting/building another boost pedal to be used in conjunction with that!
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
Wait woah. Running an OD pedal in front of a tube amp does NOT drive the valves harder. The only thing that can push tubes harder is turning up the volume on the amp itself. An OD pedal doesn't send some kind of magic signal that'll increase the power going into the tubes. All an OD pedal does is clip diodes and shape tone. Clipping diodes with a tube amp may give the illusion that it is driving the tubes harder but it is not.

Sorry, but you're wrong here. The pedal increases the power going into the tubes (preamp tubes, note - not the power tubes), because it increases the guitar signal. You do this by setting the gain on the pedal to zero (or very little) but putting the level very high on the pedal. It increases the signal -> preamp tubes are driven harder because of more signal.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.