Page 1 of 2
well im gonna get a new amp soon and i want something that is not a "metal" or "blues" or [insert genre here] amp
i want an able amp that will have nice cleans and from thin distortion to pretty heavy (although not extremely neccessary)
i play for my church on weekends so distortion is not really used hence the nice cleans
i like classic rock and some metal (almost always metallica) some stuff like paramore (because my friend likes them so we play together) blues and just starting to play jazz
sorry if there are a lot of genre's but i seriously dabble in all of them and play

sooooo

should i get the valveking112?
i like how it has texture control from A to A/B and tubes
also i like that it has reverb (although would like to know the quality)
i also like the footswitch thing and the boost

so if you know about it pray tell (old english, yeah!)

thanks much!
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
Everything is great on the VK except the reverb. Its a little resonous for my taste but I can live with it.
Hmmm. I like my VK, but the clean isn't too clean with humbuckers.

The reverb is great up till about 4, then it gets shrill.

I'd look for a Traynor maybe.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
+1 to uldhppi, the reverb leaves a lot to be desired (well for me anyways I like to use reverb a lot) but other than that it's alright for what you want. I'd check around first though it wouldn't be my #1 choice amp. I've personally had a lot of issues and have read about people having technical probelms but sound wise it's alright.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Get it!

It's an amazing amp, I love mine.

It's also awesome for what you want it for.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I think the overdrive on the amp is pretty good but when I tried it I hated the clean channel. Maybe this isn't the same opinion everybody else has but i was missing those "sparkling cleans". So in my opinion you would be better off buying the classic 30 as CanCan suggested.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Quote by Yngwi3

Bigger/louder/more watts =/= Better quality.
the laney is WAY too expensive for me
almost $1,000 US and only 30 watts!?!?!?!?
must be good but i need something cheaper
(tear tear)
i dont like how it only has A type tube distortion

what i dont like about the Peavey Classic 30 is that it's kind of expensive especially because i need to get a cabinet for it which would be a hassle moving around
also it's basically the same as the VK 112 but without texture control although it has more tubes
if im going to spend $550 + cabinet then i would rather get the Peavey VK 212 which has 2 12 in speakers liek the cabinet for the classic 30 but cost less then the Classic 30 head + Cabinet

what about the Vox stuff (not valvetronix because i dont want those)
i heard that they have a really nice classic rock sound
is that true?
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

I got the 212 combo just now.

It ****ing kills.

Unless you already have a cab, combo is the way to go. You can always use the combo as a head too, actually (perhaps a bit big but wth )
Last edited by Toolshed#9 at Feb 21, 2008,
i saw a vidoe on youtube for the VK212 and it was really nice
very versatile amp and sounded great!
id like to know about some classic VOX stuff because they're nice but im not sure what's good and whether they're the best for mystyle of playing
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

just get the VK. Youre not going to get anything better in that price range. the cleans are really nice. just dont turn the bright switch off or else it gets muddy.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
i think ill try out some of the "classic" VOX amps and if the store by my house has the Classic 30 ill try it out too

thanks everyone
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

I also have a question about the VK 112.

I'm thinking of getting one, but am torn between the 112 and the 212.

I play mainly punk rock and I'm thinking that the 112 will be best option as I'll be able to play it cranked and get better distortion out of it.

If I got the 212 I worry that with 100W I'd never get to turn it up beyond around 3-5 cos it would be too loud, and so I'd never get a chance to get the tubes properly working to get the nicest possible overdrive.

So I'm looking for some advice as to whether for overdriven punk/rock 50w cranked up would sound better than 100w on a lower volume setting. I'm not too worried about the cleans, it's shameful, but I really do hardly ever use them. Thank for any advice
No matter which VK you get, you aren't going to be able to crank them without a sound proofed room and ear plugs. My friend has the 112 and I have the 212. They are about the same volume, mine just moves more air cause it has 2 speakers. If you wanna crank an amp.....Hmmm... 112 classic 30? A laney would do very well actually.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
No matter which VK you get, you aren't going to be able to crank them without a sound proofed room and ear plugs. My friend has the 112 and I have the 212. They are about the same volume, mine just moves more air cause it has 2 speakers. If you wanna crank an amp.....Hmmm... 112 classic 30? A laney would do very well actually.

Sorry probably should have said...I'm talking about using the amp for band practice (in a sound proofed room) and for pub/small club gigs. Just out of interest what sort of volume settings do you and your friend play on. Does he get his 112 much higher and more cranked? Just thinking the headroom in the 212 might be wasted on me as I very very rarely play clean...
Quote by uldhppi
Everything is great on the VK except the reverb. Its a little resonous for my taste but I can live with it.

No hard feelins, but i strongly disagree here.

I dislike the VK overall.The cleans were dull, the distortion was way too muddy, and the reverb and stuff wasnt too much to shout about.

You looking for a versatile amp?

Get the Tiny terror. Pretty versatile and it has good cleans, and distortion ranging from that crunch to hi-gain metal, see here
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

i have a question.

the VK has two inputs right? can i use a 2 channel footswitch on one of them and then connect the pedalboard/pedals to the other?

or any other way i can use both a channel footswitch AND pedals?
ive checked out the tiny terror online and i wasn't really interested..
it seems a little.. particular
maybe you're right but i wont get to try it out because the guitar center near my house doesn't have orange amps (or ESPs! on a different note)
also do you think the cleans weren't too good because you were using a humbucker?
i have only single coils (which kinda sucks) which makes for pretty nice cleans but pretty crappy distortion

another question about the reverb, is it kind of light reverb or like almost tremelo reverb?
i've used an acoustic amp that had reverb that would start off really weak and then jump to near tremelo like reverb (the way a fender amp's distortion jumps with the gain volume channel. holla if you know what im sayin'!)
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

the reverb is a spring reverb. i think one guy already mentioned it but once you get past 4 it becomes shrilly. and as for the cleans, people usually say they dont like it because when they try it out they dont play with the bright switch which helps out the amp ALOT
Quote by Raziel123
i have a question.

the VK has two inputs right? can i use a 2 channel footswitch on one of them and then connect the pedalboard/pedals to the other?

or any other way i can use both a channel footswitch AND pedals?

The two inputs are for either low output pickups (1) and the other is for high output pickups (2).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by led,rainsong
ive checked out the tiny terror online and i wasn't really interested..
it seems a little.. particular
maybe you're right but i wont get to try it out because the guitar center near my house doesn't have orange amps (or ESPs! on a different note)
also do you think the cleans weren't too good because you were using a humbucker?
i have only single coils (which kinda sucks) which makes for pretty nice cleans but pretty crappy distortion

another question about the reverb, is it kind of light reverb or like almost tremelo reverb?
i've used an acoustic amp that had reverb that would start off really weak and then jump to near tremelo like reverb (the way a fender amp's distortion jumps with the gain volume channel. holla if you know what im sayin'!)

Yes, the reverb is VERY intense once your around 12 o'clock, its very broad as opposed to splashy, but also very warm sounding.
I usually dial my verb in at around 2 or 2.5.
so that's cool about the reverb because i like spring reverb and what you guys are describing is just like the acoustic amp i used which i found out how to tweak to my liking
thanks guys, you've all really helped

alas, another question has just risen up about the channels
why does there need to be two channels, one for low output pups and one for high output pups?
do they both run through the same electronic stuff (as in tubes etc. b/c i dont know anything about what's happening inside an amp. another thing id like to learn about )?
also will the texture control work for both channels then or what?

thanks again
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

Quote by led,rainsong
so that's cool about the reverb because i like spring reverb and what you guys are describing is just like the acoustic amp i used which i found out how to tweak to my liking
thanks guys, you've all really helped

alas, another question has just risen up about the channels
why does there need to be two channels, one for low output pups and one for high output pups?
do they both run through the same electronic stuff (as in tubes etc. b/c i dont know anything about what's happening inside an amp. another thing id like to learn about )?
also will the texture control work for both channels then or what?

thanks again

The high gain input is for regular pickups, and the low gain is for higher output pickups.
The actual difference is that the high gain input is louder than the low gain.
If you played high output pickups through the high gain input, your sound would be overdriven at an early stage, if you put it in the low gain input, you'd maintain a clean tone.
Valveking is a nice choice if you aren't looking to spend any more at the moment. Reverb stinks past about 10 o'clock. Clean channel is decent and does the job. I normally don't use the onboard distortion, but I can get a usable classic rock sound out of it. In the end, I'd get one. Changing the tubes and the speaker really open the amp up a lot, but thats just extra stuff, not a necessity. I'd also recommend I good distortion pedal and you'd be set.
a tubescreamer or some sort of OD and the lead channel is way better than a dist pedal.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Hmmm. I like my VK, but the clean isn't too clean with humbuckers.

The reason for that is probally you have active pickups and the amount of power it is putting into the amp is too much for a 50 watt amp and it gets clipped a little bit
although i could be wrong cuz i haven't played the amp
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
why do u need reverb - you play in a church where youll get it naturally- also it wouldnt be too hard to mod and ifthats the only thing it shouldnt stop u getting it
that's cool about the two channels
so if i wanted really nice cleans couldn't i just like plug into the low gain channel with my low output pups and then hit the bright switch?
either way it sounds pretty good

i do need a little reverb because sometimes i do solos and it sounds better to the people because they're all old and crazy
once i did a slide solo and right when i started everyone started freaking out and my dad told me nobody liked it
yeah, they don't really appreciate music that much...

sorry i forgot to ask more, how's the footswitch b/c ive heard things about footswitches like "oh the amp is good but my footswitch broke after a month" and other stuff so is it strong?
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

here is a thread about a peavey valveking 212 that i just found

please check it out and if you know what's up please help the guy (cuz id like to know about it too)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13018728#post13018728

thanks
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

I love my VK 112.

Feels versatile, does the job.

Reverb is ok. I never boost it past 3.

Basically, given the right tweaking, you can get what you need from the amp.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
I'm looking at getting the 112 as well but I've read that its quite. 50 Watt all tube??? Could this be true?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quiet?

It's not really that quiet. The 112 can stand up to my 212 so that when they are both cranked clean, the 112 sounds like a rhythm guitar. It's still there, but not dominant.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by led,rainsong
sorry i forgot to ask more, how's the footswitch b/c ive heard things about footswitches like "oh the amp is good but my footswitch broke after a month" and other stuff so is it strong?

The Peavey Foot Switch is a piece of crap. Buy a BOSS FS-6 instead. It does the job and it won't break.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Quiet?

It's not really that quiet. The 112 can stand up to my 212 so that when they are both cranked clean, the 112 sounds like a rhythm guitar. It's still there, but not dominant.

So loud enough for jamming and small gigs then? If so sounds perfect for me. Also does the clean channel stay clean at jamming volumes?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
So loud enough for jamming and small gigs then? If so sounds perfect for me. Also does the clean channel stay clean at jamming volumes?

Lol. 50 Watts cranked can nail a large venue with ease. 50 watts of tube is ****ing loud
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by soul_power

It is loud enough to stay perfectly clean in a gym without a hint of distortion and be loud enough to hurt peoples ears. At least my 212 is. I played it in a 1800 person gym, and mine breaks around 7, even with people in it I didn't need to go past 4.5.

It's loud enough

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712