Page 1 of 2
I used to because I'm a lefty that plays righty...... but then I switched one day after watching Angus
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by 20cdndollars
I never really realised it until now, but I use my middle finger and my index. I just looked down now, and saw that

how the heck do u use ur middl efinger and index? what about ur thumb
Quote by Big_Rat
Van Halen does doesn't he?

I heard he uses both index and middle.
Eddie Van Halen does that.

EDIT: guess I'm wrong.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

i use my index, middle and thumb
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
i do altho i seem to switch randomly...
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
i use my middle finger \m/
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by ISuckAtBass92

Thumb one side, middle and index the other. It feels a bit weird to me but perhaps gives more force - who knows?

Ah, the physics of guitar. So much of it's bull****.
I hold it with all my fingers except my pinky because it always flies to the inside of my guitar. I still have 3 picks in there.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by ISuckAtBass92
i think he meant middle and index on one side, thumb on the other

I was actually thinking about trying my middle finger because my index cramps up sometimes and the pick starts to slip.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
well, TS is obviously a freak of nature and has th3 aIdzz!!!oneone11eleven!! lolz.

But seriously,
I heard that holding it between middle and index while making a fist is pretty common for metal guitarists.
its improper form to use the middle
i could really care less, but my teacher used to get madat me when i had the thub on one side and both my index and middle on the other
its supposed to just be thumb and index
and the middle just feels wierd
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
am I the only one that rests it on the side of their index finger and then holds it in place with my thumb?

i find it gives me more control. All it takes to change the angle of attack if a small movement of my thumb.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I usually only use my index, since it's the "correct" way of holding it, but sometimes I'll use both my middle and index because I hate dropping the pick accidentally. Not only that, but in case I need to tap or something, I like having the middle free.
glen drover (although he is irrelivant now) uses his middle.

its technically incorrect tho.. it would probably put more strain on yoour wrist etc..
and its jsut harder in general to play.. my couzin does that, and hes **** at guitar for how much he plays (picking wise)

ie. he cant play master of puppets, and hees been playing for over 2 years.

ive gotten him to change tho, and with in a week hes gotten 500% better..

might be worth lookinginto
*Enter Sig Here*
Last edited by Hale_91 at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by ISuckAtBass92

Sorry, i mean, all three.
Quote by cap'n curry
its improper form to use the middle
i could really care less, but my teacher used to get madat me when i had the thub on one side and both my index and middle on the other
its supposed to just be thumb and index
and the middle just feels wierd

improper my arse.
nobody told off jimi hendrix for the way he played his guitar yet he's a legend?
its experimental stuff that enabled so many great players?
its your music... play it how you want to....

BTW, i realize you weren't having a dig.. its just something i feel strongly about
mm u see i play with my toes...
...mhm it's just really annoying when i forget to cut my toe nails.

No, really, my boyfriend says i dont hold the pick well with my fingers...guess i learnt it incorrectly and now i'm stuck with it
Quote by TheQuailman
well, TS is obviously a freak of nature and has th3 aIdzz!!!oneone11eleven!! lolz.

But seriously,
I heard that holding it between middle and index while making a fist is pretty common for metal guitarists.

This offset with the avatar and username had me reaching for the ""
i use the index and thumb for the pick and middle and ring for chicken pickin the high strings. actually i use a whole bunch of odd right hand techniques
Quote by EdawMail
improper my arse.
nobody told off jimi hendrix for the way he played his guitar yet he's a legend?
its experimental stuff that enabled so many great players?
its your music... play it how you want to....

BTW, i realize you weren't having a dig.. its just something i feel strongly about

There isn't a 'proper' way per se but there are 'better' methods.

it's illogical and inefficient to use the middle so why would you do it?

using only the middle and thumb means you have to actively move the index out of the way and using all 3 means you make it harder for yourself when changing the angle of attack, not to mention it uses extra muscles etc.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
no i do it too. more strength, speed, control. i hold it with my index AND my middle actually.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by Lemoninfluence
There isn't a 'proper' way per se but there are 'better' methods.

it's illogical and inefficient to use the middle so why would you do it?

but for somepeople it may be more efficent.
I don't like it..but Eddie van Halen and Dexter Holland do as far as I know
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
i use my thumb, index and middle.

in my opinion it makes artificial harmonics easier. just because i learned to do them originally with my index finger instead of the side of my thumb. i can do it either way, but for PH's i do thumb+middle with my index finger over the spot of the pickups.
#DTWD
Page 1 of 2