I have a Bc Rich Platinum Beast, a Marshall MG100HDFX head, Marshall MG412A cab, Line 6 Floor Pod Plus, I use leads that I bought from Andertons, and one that came with my Bc Rich, I use Ernie Ball skinny top, heavy bottom strings, i'm in dropped C, yet no matter how hard I try, I can't get that orgasmic crunch that most guitarist get when they hit the 6th string par-muted... Could it be any of my equipment? I've tried setting the Floor Pod Plus' settings to as close as i can get to my friend's (who can get 'the crunch') Line 6 Spyder. I've also tried an 'Epiphone Special II' through my setup too, couldn't get that crunch.
Didn't the MG's crushing overdrive get you there...?

Funny. I get the crunch using an Epiphone SG Special through my Hartke...
Maybe it's that tube in the preamp.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by 1339
I have a Bc Rich Platinum Beast, a Marshall MG100HDFX head, Marshall MG412A cab, Line 6 Floor Pod Plus, I use leads that I bought from Andertons, and one that came with my Bc Rich, I use Ernie Ball skinny top, heavy bottom strings, i'm in dropped C, yet no matter how hard I try, I can't get that orgasmic crunch that most guitarist get when they hit the 6th string par-muted... Could it be any of my equipment? I've tried setting the Floor Pod Plus' settings to as close as i can get to his Line 6 Spyder. I've also tried an 'Epiphone Special II' through my setup too, couldn't get that crunch.

There's your problem right there...that is not a crunchy amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Probably need to work on your palm muting technique. Experiment with it at various distances from the bridge until you get a sound you like.

Also take the pod out and and crank the gain on your amp, and play with the contour knob on the dirty channel.

You'll find it eventually.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Come on guys the MG's aren't THAT bad. Plus, that's what he's using right now so let's help him.

I have the 250DFX 2x12 and I can get a decent chunk without tweaking it too much. That amp does take some time to tweak to get a half decent sound out of tho....

DS
Made up statistic
do you REALLY need a halfstack?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Here's my real advice.

Bridge pickup, dime the vol and tone on the guitar.
Turn the gain on the drive channel of the amp to about 8-9. Treble up, Bass up, and about noon on the mids.

Just chunk around on the low E, and find a good distance and pressure to apply your mute.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by 1339
I have a Bc Rich Platinum Beast, a Marshall MG100HDFX head, Marshall MG412A cab, Line 6 Floor Pod Plus, I use leads that I bought from Andertons, and one that came with my Bc Rich, I use Ernie Ball skinny top, heavy bottom strings, i'm in dropped C, yet no matter how hard I try, I can't get that orgasmic crunch that most guitarist get when they hit the 6th string par-muted... Could it be any of my equipment? I've tried setting the Floor Pod Plus' settings to as close as i can get to my friend's (who can get 'the crunch') Line 6 Spyder. I've also tried an 'Epiphone Special II' through my setup too, couldn't get that crunch.

I have highlighted all the problems present in the lives of you and your friend.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Firstly, get rid of the MG. Secondly, a POD doesn't sound good through an MG. Thirdly, Scoop out your mids, use alot of gain and lastly, use your neck pickup with your guitar's volume and tone at max.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by 123-Trav
I have highlighted all the problems present in the lives of you and your friend.

+100 I would sig that if I had room.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by Ichimaru
Firstly, get rid of the MG. Secondly, a POD doesn't sound good through an MG. Thirdly, Scoop out your mids, use alot of gain and lastly, use your neck pickup with your guitar's volume and tone at max.

Not really... crunch=mids, and for that percussive "thunk" you need the bridge pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
To TS, the contour knob = mid knob on gain channel on your MG.

EDIT: Use your bridge pickup max volume, and tone backed off a bit (experiment with the tone knob, they differ from axe to axe.)
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Feb 20, 2008,
WHy so much equipmetn to get a crunch sound. I can get crunch out of the crappiest amp and guitar with the right settings. Well a decent amp at least. Practice your palm muting and equalizing.
Quote by nyandres
WHy so much equipmetn to get a crunch sound. I can get crunch out of the crappiest amp and guitar with the right settings. Well a decent amp at least. Practice your palm muting and equalizing.

It's not all just to get the crunch - that's everything I have for gigs etc., i've just recently realised i'm not getting that nice crunch.
your gigging w. an MG ?!?! look for a tube amp Anything better than a SS amp. W tubes you dont need 100 watts its actually better to have less. You could gig w. a 30 watt tube head.

Look for :
*b-52
* Peavey Valvking
*best bet* peavey windsor head (since u already got a cab)
*anything used Marshall tube
Quote by guitarbite.fire
your gigging w. an MG ?!?! look for a tube amp Anything better than a SS amp. W tubes you dont need 100 watts its actually better to have less. You could gig w. a 30 watt tube head.

Look for :
*b-52
* Peavey Valvking
*best bet* peavey windsor head (since u already got a cab)
*anything used Marshall tube

Yeah, i'm def. going to look into a new amp - I just saw this half-stack on GAK for £360 and thought '****ing bargain!' and bought it almost instantly... hey, we all make mistakes .
Have you been able to experiment? Maybe get a little more what you're looking for?

If you need anything feel free to PM me.

DS
Made up statistic
If I were using an MG I would use it clean and get my distortion from a pedal. Clean MG's really don't sound that bad, and you will have much more control with the pedal (a good one will have built-in EQ.) You got some good advice on EQ'ing if you choose not to go the pedal route. Your friend's experience with the Spyder hopefully will persuade you to take the POD out of the mix. Good luck.
Quote by uldhppi
If I were using an MG I would use it clean and get my distortion from a pedal. Clean MG's really don't sound that bad, and you will have much more control with the pedal (a good one will have built-in EQ.) You got some good advice on EQ'ing if you choose not to go the pedal route. Your friend's experience with the Spyder hopefully will persuade you to take the POD out of the mix. Good luck.

Whaat? My friend does get the crunch, because he's using the Line 6 Spyder, how does this justify that taking the Line 6 pedal out of my setup will help? ;P.

Also, yeah I'm already using the MG on clean with the pedal running through it - bought the pedal because I thought that it would give me the crunch >.<
Here are my settings....

Fender Champion 600 5 watt - 6 volume, plugged into high input
MXR Dyna Comp - Output at 12 o'clock Sensitivity at 10 o'clock
Guitar Volume at max

Pick light and its nice and clean, dig in and I get more crunch then a bucket of KFC extra crispy.

Its the amp, like stated before. You won't achieve what you're looking for with a solid state especially a 100watt. Get a small 5 or 10 or 15 watt tube amp and you'll get it ridiculously easy and won't blow out your windows.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Didn't mean to offend, but go listen to your friend again. Back away from his/her amp about 15 feet and stand to the side. Go try out a tube combo with no pedals. Put the tube amp on the floor, back up the same distance and stand to the side. You will see what crunch actually sounds like. Crunch has punch.
Last edited by uldhppi at Feb 21, 2008,