I personally play everything better while sitting down. I play bass, and it's just so much more comfortable not having to support the weight of it and play at the same time.
the only thing I've found easier to do while standing is play really fast punk songs. Usually stuff is slightly easier for me to play while sitting.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I find it incredibly easier to play standing up than sitting down with my Jackson RR because while sitting down, it's a tad bit awkward to use the first few frets. Higher fret access is marvelous either way.

I also find it easier to play sitting down rather than standing up with my Fender Strat, I think it's because to have a decent amount of playability on the higher frets I need to have the guitar strapped up really high, and that tends to be really uncomfortable for me.

Overall though I prefer to play standing up.
Most people find it easier to play sitting down because:
1. You do most of your practicing while sitting down.
2. You can hold the guitar closer to you, allowing for wider stretches.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I'll add to this that most people wear their guitars down by their knees like morons, forcing them to bend their wrists in what must be an agonizing way.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

This is true, but I practice standing up because I think it'll benefit me more in the long run since I'll most likely be playing standing up if I were to play a show.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i agree with show playing comment for stand up playing, but if your learning certain stuff, sitting might help

idk i personally like standing up
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I'll add to this that most people wear their guitars down by their knees like morons, forcing them to bend their wrists in what must be an agonizing way.

yeah i look like some tool from the 1950's when i play. its funny cuz i wear my guitar up high then i thrash out.
Quote by z4twenny
yeah i look like some tool from the 1950's when i play. its funny cuz i wear my guitar up high then i thrash out.

As do I. Not quite John Petrucci level (because I find it causes pain in my picking arm), but quite a ways above my waist.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
sitting is soo much easier for soloing... going up the neck is hard to do because you have to lift the neck up...
I find playing anything is easier standing up for me, even my acoustic. I tend to develop cramps in my hand if I play too long sitting down. I also tend to lose position on the fretboard while sitting.

I wear my guitar a little high, though I find it extremely comfortable. My tone/vol knobs are about belt buckle level. I wear my bass even higher than that....

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by LogTrog
going up the neck is hard to do because you have to lift the neck up...

your guitar is too low or angled incorrectly
Ive learnt to play sitting down with my axe on my left knee, which is pretty much the same position as standing up. So it doesnt really make a difference.
I find it easier to sit down when I'm first learning something, then when I can play it fairly well, I can play it better stood up. When I'm stood up, I can't have my bass too high or too low or it gets uncomfortable.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

yep, and if you practice a lot (which you have to if you want to be good) you'll tend to sit a lot more... because no one likes to stand for 3 hours. When they could sit.

For me putting my leg up on something (like a monitor, I have a little proline guitar foot stand) recreates the seated feeling for harder passages...

I learned that from Petrucci.

if you practice sitting down, its good to have your left leg (if you fret with left hand) up on something as well, so that you get an angle close to the same as when you stand. I learned that from the Jag Panzer dude.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
I too am guilty of playing like a Beatle, but it's the most comfortable way. It took a while to even play a note standing up but now i'm ok, I only have problems with complex palm muting things like the chorus to 11th hour. I find it hard to mute all the strings and pick evenly with the guitar kind of at an angle.

Anywho, go go sitting down!
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
When starting a new song, I generally play it sitting down until I'm good at it, THEN try it standing up.
Meh, works for me.
I find it almost impossible to play my bass sitting down. So standing is much easier for me, I also find it unusually easy to heabdang while playing, my freinds find it hard, although if I try to mix my bass with vocals I always miss.

My strap a;ways comes loose, I play my bass really low down, my strumming hand half-way between my kneww-cap and my waist, the fret board faces up almost on a 75, 80 degree angle and this is why my strap always comes loose, any advice?

Anyhoo, nice thread idea.

Everything is easier for me when I sit down.

And that's why I practice everything standing up. I sometimes cheat though with the Petrucci 'one leg up' for solos though.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Plus you can see the fretboard much easier if needed.