Ok, I just recently bought a Randall RX120RHS http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120RHS-120W-4x12-Half-Stack?sku=481479

I'll admit, didn't really do too much research just read reviews of SS half-stacks on musicians friend. I just wanted a half stack so thats what I did.

Now that I have it, can I get some guidence on how to get the best sound I can out of it? All imput would be appreciated.

Please don't just Hate on me for buying a SS half stack cause I A. Should of bought a combo tube B. Don't need a half stack. I know I shoulda went with somethin different, but thats what I got now so I just wanna try to make it sound decent.

thanks
yeah yeah... you fell into the trap. have you played it enough? try messing around with it more to see what sounds you like out of it, then if you feel like something's missing, maybe we can figure out what it is (besides being a hoax).
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
yeah yeah... you fell into the trap. have you played it enough? try messing around with it more to see what sounds you like out of it, then if you feel like something's missing, maybe we can figure out what it is (besides being a hoax).

nah I only played for about a hour and a half last night, I'll play it some more tonight, I just couldn't seem to get a good OD sound that i liked
Quote by Ixnay566
nah I only played for about a hour and a half last night, I'll play it some more tonight, I just couldn't seem to get a good OD sound that i liked

Maybe try starting with the treble, mid, & bass controls in the middle positions & work in small increments from there. Don't dime the overdrive, back it off a bit to get a feel for the amp's overall tone. Also, if it has a presence or contour control, start in the middle positions as well. Don't just peg the bass, treble, & presence, & roll off mids. It will definitely sound thin. Like Jon said, you'll need to do a lot of test playing to see what you can get out of it, & remember, it will likely sound considerably different as you crank it up, & will require some re-EQing.
Also, if it does have a contour-type control, play around with that every time you change an EQ setting to make sure you don't miss a sweet spot.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
+1

and yeah, definitely don't dime the gain if you're after an overdrive-y type of sound.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
thanks for the advice, time to start fiddiling. And also, If I really can't get a sound I like I suppose I could send it back, but shipping costs are ridiculous. Would the Cab be ok if I eventually bought a different head?
If you play metal the amp may not be that bad as is. I wouldn't scoop the mids too much, and don't turn it up so loud that it clips. +1 to Riffhogs advice.
At 120 watts ss you should have usable volume up to about 1/2 to 3/4 of its output, equal to about 35-40 watts tube which should be plenty.
You already know that you probably want tubes in the future, but you are not seriously screwed at the moment. Good luck.