I bought a Big Muff (usa) about a month ago to get a good fuzz tone but.......I'm not digging the tone of it too much. It doesn't sound like any sound sample I've heard, it sounds like I'm strumming cardboard everytime I play power chords or even just any of the lower three strings. I've played with the settings and I always have this problem. It may be my gear, though I don't see why. I play a Gibson Les Paul Standard into the muff, into a Danelectro FAB Overdrive (which I get a sweet sound out of so don't be hating) into my Fender Blues Junior which then goes into two Fender Cabs, so it sounds a lot like a Fender Bassman half-stack. Anyway, I've played with a bunch of settings and I don't know what to do to get a better tone out of the thing, so could I get some tips on how to make it sound better, maybe settings on my amp that I should try out? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
It probably has something to do with running the Overdrive with the Fuzz, that usually doesn't sound too good.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Well, there's an opinion on the Big Muff, that you either love it or hate it. It's a a pedal with a very specific sound, maybe that just doesn't float your boat.

You could try this way - get a bit overdriven amp, and then kick in the Big Muff. Fuzz pedals are said to sound way better when used with overdriven amp, not clean channel.

EDIT: Have you tried switching the places of the Muff and the OD pedal in the pedal chain? Maybe it'll sound better with the OD first.
Quote by Doodleface
It probably has something to do with running the Overdrive with the Fuzz, that usually doesn't sound too good.

I don't play them at the same time....

^but about the love/hate thing, no one would love this sound, it just sounds like something is obviously wrong. But I'll try the switching thing.

Thanks
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
The Big Muff is more for lead than rhythm so in other words it wasn't built for power chords.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I thought it was more of a rhythm pedal. Tried it once and didn't like it, it's got it's uses and you got to set it up right but I oculd only get some rhythm to work. The rest of the time it was fizzy and took away sustain.

Anyways the love/hate thing is true try to spend a little more time with it.

Maybe set it up guitar>muff>amp to see if any other pedals are getting in the way of it's sound.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows