Page 1 of 4
my metalhead friend thinks all indie guitar is pie compared to metal, gimme some hard to play indie songs!

and dont tell me to post in the indie forum, already did and it got locked
What?
Tell your friend not to discriminate against Indians.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I Cum Blood

EDIT:
Indie is just as hard when it comes to the riffs as metal. In fact, often rather uncommon and difficult chord shapes are being used (think funk an Jazz stuff).

Indie just does not have all those face melting solos. Tell your friends they should be able to appreciate music even without fretboard-wanking.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 20, 2008,
anything by owls
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
face it son their is none
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
'Nine out of ten people actually enjoy gang rape.'
In general, it's plain truth that metal is harder to play.

I'm not sure if these really count, but John Squiers guitar in Stone Roses and The Seahorses can be pretty challenging and so can some Smiths.
Well lets face it. They're two completely different styles.

Your friend is a twat.
Quote by Mad Marius

haha great call dude!!
modest mouse has a few harder songs, and sufjan stevens has some really complicated finger picking stuff.
What is this Indie you speak of?

Is it a sub-genre of metal?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by denizenz
Let me again go on record for having said

Here, have some attention!

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
indie as in old indie where it still meant indiependent
or the stupid vomit we get today that gets the name indie (even if its not correct)
Quote by Broken_Drum
Have you heard every indie song?

Yeah you just listen to the arctic monkeys once and you've heard all the rest, because its all cookie cutter copycat bull****.
Quote by david_safc
Yeah you just listen to the arctic monkeys once and you've heard all the rest, because its all cookie cutter copycat bull****.

maybe todays indie which all sounds the same
but my dad listens to old indie some of if is pretty simple some of its quite interesting
Quote by david_safc

as compared to modern metal and the constant ****tyness deemed pinch harmonics... not to mention pentatonis everywhere and the best part 3 drop C chugs and one really high note. wow... metal sure is the ****.
Quote by iheartprog
as compared to modern metal and the constant ****tyness deemed pinch harmonics... not to mention pentatonis everywhere and the best part 3 drop C chugs and one really high note. wow... metal sure is the ****.

If your talking about Nu-metal, it sucks just as much dick as indie music. I agree.
Last edited by david_safc at Feb 20, 2008,
Let me again go on record for having said

Why am I not suprised
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by iheartprog

You just described Hatebreed.

There are plenty of indie bands that have complicated arrangements, like The Slip or The Procession for instance, and there are lots that have more simple stuff most of the time. The same goes for metal, you have your bands like Necrophagist, Dream Theater, and Nevermore that are insanely technical, and then you have bands like Black Sabbath, Motorhead, etc. that are more simplistic.
don caballero, do make say think, lightning bolt(although it's bass), minibosses, owls, polysics. check em out.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Quote by iheartprog

Took the words right outta my mouth
"I just hope that our fans are people who are inspired by music, and just use our music as a background or inspiration for whatever it is they do. "

Maynard James Keenan
Quote by ArchisT
my metalhead friend thinks all indie guitar is pie

I think i might just quote that! What type of pie m8?
something tells me this is gonna get outta control and go into a big everyone vs modern music and indie
Anything by My Bloody Valentine. If any of you metal-heads can replicate Kevin Shields playing, please tell me how it's done
Great, another genre-war thread.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by david_safc

Mainstream indie...
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Mad Marius

you're an idiot.

play him some math rock/math influenced stuff.

maps and atlases
owls
don caballero
battles

etc etc

Quote by david_safc

you're just factually wrong. seriously, you know nothing.

the bands i mentioned previously are indie bands. listen to them and tell me that they sound like the arctic monkeys. they don't. at all. idiot.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by david_safc

And metal is so groundbreaking these days...

Listen, each genre has its share of copycats and innovators, and to be honest I find modern pop and indie far more interesting than metal, save a few bands. Ths goes for the indie that I hear over here on British and Irish TV/Radio. I am a fan of both genres, with no inherent preference on either, so there.

As for answering the initial question, try some Bloc Party or Stone Roses or Smiths.
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour

But heaven knows I'm miserable now

I was looking for a job and then I found a job

But heaven knows I'm miserable now
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
you're an idiot.

maps and atlases
owls
don caballero
battles

etc etc

the bands i mentioned previously are indie bands. listen to them and tell me that they sound like the arctic monkeys. they don't. at all. idiot.

lol

That is what is considered indie today, therefore I assume that is what he is talking about. Don't call me an idiot, I know who "real indie" bands are like modest mouse and Neutral Milk Hotel.

Quote by easter-glow
And metal is so groundbreaking these days...

Listen, each genre has its share of copycats and innovators, and to be honest I find modern pop and indie far more interesting than metal, save a few bands. Ths goes for the indie that I hear over here on British and Irish TV/Radio. I am a fan of both genres, with no inherent preference on either, so there.

As for answering the initial question, try some Bloc Party or Stone Roses or Smiths.

Why do you seek conflict as a means of denouncing conflict? I did not say anything about metal bands being better, I just commented on indie bands.
Er...It's all pretty easy from what I know...

Joy Division, easy.
The Smiths, easy.
Happy Mondays, easy.

Only Indie bands who's songs i frequent...
Quote by david_safc
lol

That is what is considered indie today, therefore I assume that is what he is talking about. Don't call me an idiot, I know who "real indie" bands are like modest mouse and Neutral Milk Hotel.

if so, then why on earth would you post something thats clearly wrong? your actions are wholly illogical.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
you're an idiot.

maps and atlases
owls
don caballero
battles

etc etc

add hella and tortoise to the list
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Quote by ArchisT
my metalhead friend thinks all indie guitar is pie compared to metal, gimme some hard to play indie songs!

and dont tell me to post in the indie forum, already did and it got locked

*facepalm*

you phail
Page 1 of 4