OK here's the deal, I've got a microwave (this is getting somewhere I promise), that's got a function to cook to a certain temperature. The way it does this is by means of a cable, that has on one end a temperature prod thingy (stick into food) and on the other, a jack to plug into the inside of the microwave. Now it just so happens that this jack is the very same kind of jack used by guitar patch cords.

My question is this : Would it be dangerous or would it damage my amp if I either plugged this thing straight into the amp or if I plugged it into the second input of my pedal and played like that?

Ever since I saw this thing I've been curious to see if it would make any kind of sound. (you never know, it has to send some kind of signal right?) My only problem has been not wanting to risk damaging my equipment in any way.

So do you guys think it would be damaging?
look on craigslist etc for a real ****ty practice amp and try it on there, don't risk damaging a good amp. I believe it would be worth the 30-50 bucks
i say go for it, id do it. it wouldnt damage it, how could it? its not electrical, its just a plugin. same socket, youre fine. i dono about plugging it into the pedal tho..
I don't care that much to buy something new just to try it on. Personally I don't think it would damage it, since it's just sending a signal based on the temperature, which in a room should be relatively constant. The only issue I can see is if for some reason the signal from it might be way too strong and blow the amp or something. I don't know much about this, which is why I'm asking for an outside opinion.
Quote by dark&broken
I don't care that much to buy something new just to try it on. Personally I don't think it would damage it, since it's just sending a signal based on the temperature, which in a room should be relatively constant. The only issue I can see is if for some reason the signal from it might be way too strong and blow the amp or something. I don't know much about this, which is why I'm asking for an outside opinion.

Why would you want to do this anyway? It'd be a lot more fun to see what happens if you microwaved all your pedals & cables for a few minutes. THAT would be COOL.
Hey, maybe you could plug a set of headphones into the microwave & listen to some sh!t cook! Maybe you could get an adapter to plug your guitar into the microwave. Wow. You've opened the door here to some really cutting edge fun sh!t.
I'd line up & PAY to watch. Maybe get a job for Jackass 3 or 4 or whatever the next one is.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog

Hey, maybe you could plug a set of headphones into the microwave & listen to some sh!t cook!

Roflmao
What? what is the point of this crap? I don't get it.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
By i cheap mini amp for like 20 bucks and give it a shot... I just picked up one so i can test out broken pedals and guitars im working on for people and it works great and if it blows hey im out $20 bucks not 2 grand...
So you want to plug a temperature probe into your amp? Why not try a hose while you're at it?
I doubt it puts out any noise. The point of a 1/4 jack is not necessarily to emit noise. Plug some 1/4 headphones into it if you want to see what it sounds like. I think it will do nothing. For example, some amps have 1/4 inch jacks for a footswitch. If you hooked an extension cabinet to the foot switch, how would it sound?
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by dark&broken
The point is to try it because I can. Experimentation. I want to see what kind of sound I'd get. If I get any.

You could try humping your dog too, because you can. Probably get some interesting sounds, I'd bet.
The point here is that there's just some things that have no really good outcome, & just aren't worth experimenting with. Use your time more wisely. Go practice. Sheesh.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Dude just do it!! Hows a TEMP probe gonna hurt anything... just keep the volume quiet to begin with..

Maybe you can get a cool noise that you can manipulate with your body temp.. like sticking it under your tounge and you get a squealing noise, and sticking the probe in your ass you get a farting noise... just do the mouth first
Quote by stangconv
Dude just do it!! Hows a TEMP probe gonna hurt anything... just keep the volume quiet to begin with..

Maybe you can get a cool noise that you can manipulate with your body temp.. like sticking it under your tounge and you get a squealing noise, and sticking the probe in your ass you get a farting noise... just do the mouth first

Lol. Very Tom Morello.
Quote by dark&broken
The point is to try it because I can. Experimentation. I want to see what kind of sound I'd get. If I get any.

I am capable of stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil but it doesn't mean I should.

I, personally, would keep my guitar gear the hell away from a microwave.

Remember, curiosity KILLED the cat.
"Remember, curiosity KILLED the cat."

Remember, curiosity has also made alot of people rich over the years because others were to scared to try stuff.. Someone probally said the same thing about pluging a guitar in an electrical appliance called an amplifier...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
"Remember, curiosity KILLED the cat."

Remember, curiosity has also made alot of people rich over the years because others were to scared to try stuff.. Someone probally said the same thing about pluging a guitar in an electrical appliance called an amplifier...

Yeah. Very good point.

So...uh, yeah...go ahead and plug into the temperature sensor input of your microwave.

We'll wait for your report.
Just to clarify. The amp is NOWHERE NEAR THE MICROWAVE. It's just a cable that came with it that has a temp probe on one end and a jack on the other that i can plug into my amp. It obviously has to send some kind of signal out from that jack, so I want to see how that would translate into sound. If it does.

And to all the "I can do this but I don't"
This also is very unlikely to harm me in any way. This also has no bad connotations along with it. STFU unless you've actually got something useful to say.

EDIT: I'm also not plugging my guitar into the microwave. I'm plugging the temp probe into my amp.
Last edited by dark&broken at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by dark&broken

And to all the "I can do this but I don't"
This also is very unlikely to harm me in any way. This also has no bad connotations along with it. STFU unless you've actually got something useful to say.

Advising someone to not do stupid things seems rather useful to me. The fact that it probably won't harm you doesn't make it a good idea. You don't know the internal resistance of the temp probe. It may be very low, & that may be low enough to short the input jack connections. Who knows? That may or may not cause problems. Why bother with it? Learn to make weird sounds with your guitar, man.
You should follow your own advice about saying useful things, & not start stupid threads. You keep teeing them up, we'll keep kicking them.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
Advising someone to not do stupid things seems rather useful to me. The fact that it probably won't harm you doesn't make it a good idea. You don't know the internal resistance of the temp probe. It may be very low, & that may be low enough to short the input jack connections. Who knows? That may or may not cause problems. Why bother with it? Learn to make weird sounds with your guitar, man.
You should follow your own advice about saying useful things, & not start stupid threads. You keep teeing them up, we'll keep kicking them.

You obviously didn't get the point of the thread. I don't know if it can damage the amp. That's why I'm asking. I also never said it was a good idea. That doesn't make it a bad idea. It's just an idea, something to try for the hell of it, for fun. The point of this thread was to see if anyone had any better idea than me as to whether or not this could be damaging to the amp, in which case it would be a bad idea.