Poll: What, for you, is the most iconic guitar in history?
Poll Options
View poll results: What, for you, is the most iconic guitar in history?
Les Paul
51 22%
Strat
146 63%
Superstrat
4 2%
Tele
8 3%
SG
3 1%
Flying V
12 5%
Explorer
5 2%
Other radical design
1 0%
Voters: 230.
As the title suggests, vote for what you think is the most iconic guitar made so far. It can be for its sound or its looks, but I'm not talking about the playability or what makes it good to play. What i mean is, why is this guitar, for you, instantly recognisable as one of the ultimate instruments ever invented?

To make this a poll, I mean the body shape - this includes copies. This poll is generalised , but if I've missed something glaring, I'll try to add it in. This means we may be able to come up with THE most iconic guitar of all time!

Categories are:
-Les Paul
-Strat
-Superstrat
-Tele
-SG
-Flying V
-Explorer
-Other radical design

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Stratocater.

That was a hard choice too. I was thiiiiiiiiiis close from picking a Les Paul.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Strat. about 80% of guitarists play one or play a guitar with a similar/identical shape.
And yes, I did make that statistic up but it wouldn't be surprising if it was true.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
ive gotta say strat, i know paul is the original but when the masses think of an electric guitar they def picture a strat
I would have said the acoustic guitar classical body, but out of those the strat. The first thing people think when they think of a guitar is probably that strat visual.
ask almost any non-musician to draw a guitar on a piece of paper.

You'll find at least 9 out of 10 times it resembles a strat more than anything else.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Gibson EDS-1275 (aka Doubleneck SG)

its iconic to Jimmy Page and Stairway, thats what its always gonna be attributed to. Every other guitar has more than one thing/person its iconic to
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
This is a pretty tough one. I agree with everybody who said a Strat, but the Les Paul is pretty recognizable. it's been in all guitar hero games, Slash plays it, Jimmy Page, and a bunch of others.
Quote by Doodleface
ask almost any non-musician to draw a guitar on a piece of paper.

You'll find at least 9 out of 10 times it resembles a strat more than anything else.

Hmm... I think I sense a social experiment coming up! Somebody should really do that... or we all could.

Strat or superstrat would definitely win. I would like to say Strat, but my favorite guitar, EVH's striped guitars, would possibly belong in the SuperStrat. I think I'll have to say the Stratocaster for this one, though...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
i am fond of the bc rich
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Quote by philthy335
ive gotta say strat, i know paul is the original but when the masses think of an electric guitar they def picture a strat

The Telecaster was the original when it comes to mass produced solid bodies...

But anyway, the Strat has to be the most iconic.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
One of my mates has this to say on the subject of guitars:

les paul is not only the most iconic guitar (apart from mabe a strat..but meh..les paul...at least for guitarists has soooo much more behind it..for non guitarists then yes a strat) but anyway

les pauls are one of the true "machines with soul"

not many machines do...but things like the concord, flying scotman, the spitfire, ferraris,....all machines with pure soul

thats what gibson les pauls have

Yeah, he plays a Gibson Les Paul Studio, which is a ****ing nice guitar, with a lot of history behind its design, probably recognisable as a real 'rock' guitar.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
A strat.

Even though the LP is pretty popular, I don't think it has anything on the strat.
What about acoustics, though? They've been around longer and are instantly recognizable as a guitar.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SkyValley
What about acoustics, though? They've been around longer and are instantly recognizable as a guitar.

Point taken, but this was intentionally posted in the Electric Guitar forums

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Depends on the era. Every era tends to have at least two....
'40's/'50's: Gibson ES335 and Fender Stratocaster
'60's: Gibson SG and Fender Stratocaster
'70's: Fender Stratocaster and Gibson Les Paul
'80's: Charvel/Jackson Super Strats and Kramer Berettas
'90's: PRS Guitars and Fender Jagstang
'00's: Ibanez 7 strings and Fender Stratocaster

And prediction time....
'10's: Superstrats return...

Of course my views are a hair biased so take them with a grain of salt
Quote by vamprocker
i am fond of the bc rich

It's not what you're fond of, it's what you think is most iconic.

I'm going with a Strat myself, when I started playing guitar, even though all I listened to was Led Zeppelin, I wanted a Strat, there's something about it thats iconic, from the headstock to the shape of the body.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Quote by JC13
I think this is an extremely accurate post, but I think the '10s will see a wave of Schecter by that time, even though I don't really like their instruments.

Funny, I nearly put Jackson/Schecter Superstrats...
The '10s could potentially be dominated by Taylor. I love their electric guitars. The sound definitely rivals a Strat.
Strat.

When the average person thinks of a gutiar they think of Hendrix, and they automatically picture a strat.
I dunno..before i played guitar, whenever i would think "electric guitar" i would think Flying V...maybe its just me?
pretty much every1's first guitar these days is a strat copy
thats an explanation in itself
This is going great! I knew it was gonna be between the Les Paul and the Strat, but wow, I wasn't expecting the Strat to be so far ahead! Let's say we impose a deadline of Wednesday next week (so a week after creation), after which the guitar with the most votes shall be crowned The Most Iconic Guitar in History (as Voted by UG). Spread the word, let's see what happens in the next week!

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
of course its a strat, whenever a non-guitar playing person draws an electric guitar, whether they know it or not, its a strat for some reason.
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
i think the first guitar ive ever seen was a strat or a strat copy. les pauls r still sexy though
Probably Strat and Les Paul for being the most famous known guitars

I say SG was made famous for ACDC? Im not ACDC fan you see lol

Not sure tbh
Even though I think the shape of the Strat is ugly as sh*t, I still have to say it is the most iconic. Pity.
404: Sig not found.
Definately strat

Quote by zanz1bar
Gibson EDS-1275 (aka Doubleneck SG)

its iconic to Jimmy Page and Stairway, thats what its always gonna be attributed to. Every other guitar has more than one thing/person its iconic to

no. I also picture Claudio Sanchez when I see a double neck SG.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
You may well do "reilly91" but the majority of people associate that guitar with Jimmy Page and "Stairway to Heaven".

Yes... but the guy said the double neck is iconic to jimmy page and that all other guitars have more than one person/thing they are iconic to. I'm just saying the doubleneck SG isn't just iconic to Page, so that would make it just like any of the other guitars.
i dont like the sound of strats for what i play, but i love the necks. i think i want to get one like Dave Murray or Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden. one of those ones that loaded with like two humbuckers and can get that metal tone. but yeah its def the most popular guitar. everyone recognizes them.
Someone already did a study on this (some official, scientific whatever), don't ask me where the article is, I just remember reading it quite some time ago in some article.

It named the strat as one of the most widely recognized shapes in the world (study wasn't limited to just guitars).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
It looks like we have a definitive winner.

*Deep voice*

As of March 2008,
the most iconic guitar in history,
as voted by the Ultimate Guitar community, is:

The Fender Stratocaster

Thanks to everyone who voted! Peace out!

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000