yes. they do sound different. one makes it fuzzy-ish, the other makes it louder and more fuzzyer, but does it through amp-ing your signal instead of actually modifying. i think.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Soft clipping vs hard clipping.

The overdrives generally have less gain and are probably better for a blues or classic rock approach. Distortion pedals are have more gain and are compressed sounding. Better for modern rock and metal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Which one gives it more of a American Hard Rock sound. Ex. Taking Back Sunday...Cheap Trick...My Chemical Romance
Quote by Nielsen 33
Which one gives it more of a American Hard Rock sound. Ex. Taking Back Sunday...Cheap Trick...My Chemical Romance

Overdrive would be better for those i would think.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Overdrive would be better for those i would think.

Overdrive would be better for like Cheap Trick, that's about it. TBS and MCR are a bit more distorted.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The Ibanez TS9 and TS808 are good OD pedals. As for distortion pedals, try out some Boss ones. I've never used one myself but they seem quite popular.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
The Ibanez TS9 and TS808 are good OD pedals. As for distortion pedals, try out some Boss ones. I've never used one myself but they seem quite popular.

Not a big fan of Boss Distortion units. They are quite cheap though.

Try an EHX English Muff'n. Great distortion pedal and can do pretty much anything.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster