i ve been playing on bass guitar for about a year i started by playing some easy songs like back in black and dazed and confused, untill last summer (around august) i heard yyz and i ve decided to learn it and what is even harder for me because i learned to play
fingers especially for it (at that time i only knew how to play with a pic) untill i finally got it a couple of weeks ago and i thought that i am finally getting better at playing bass
but, then i started to playing scarifed and found out that my fingering hand is still slow
so i decided to play easier songs like hanger 18 and peace sells and i still find myy self strugling to play them

do u think that i am taking it on my self too hard and i just need more time
or is it i should train more and use diff trainning methods
if you push yourself to learn songs that are too high above your playing skill you'll develop really bad techniques and habits.

i think you should take the time out to evaluate your playing and get down a comfortable, efficient technique. and remember speed is a bi product of accuracy, how can you expect to play a song at full speed if you can't play it comfortably in half time.

you should practice your scales and left hand exercises
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'm just letting you know not to discourage yourself. Hangar 18 is a real bitch, because the bass is in Drop D while the guitars are tuned to standard. Just keep practicing, you'll get it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Maybe just start with something easy
Ive been playing only with fingers since I started 2 and a half years ago, and Ive now got decent speed in my two main fingers....but hand me a pick and I'm useless, though I'm trying to learn

just, take things easy, start with slower,easier songs, concentrate on getting an even tone with each finger and consistency with the rythm of it

its what Im doing with pick playing, playing easy stuff I first learned when I picked up a bass, but is actually played with a pick, eg. Marilyn Manson stuff, Blink 182 stuff, just dead simple
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I'm same as Skippy. Trying some pick techniques.

Try some 4 chord pattern tunes first with fingers tryig to keep a steady rhythm and hen mve on to some riffs when you're comfortable.

Remember, playing bass is for fun (unless you're professional) and rushing yourself is not the answer.
Quote by puskus54
i ve been playing on bass guitar for about a year i started by playing some easy songs like back in black and dazed and confused, untill last summer (around august) i heard yyz and i ve decided to learn it and what is even harder for me because i learned to play
fingers especially for it (at that time i only knew how to play with a pic) untill i finally got it a couple of weeks ago and i thought that i am finally getting better at playing bass
but, then i started to playing scarifed and found out that my fingering hand is still slow
so i decided to play easier songs like hanger 18 and peace sells and i still find myy self strugling to play them

do u think that i am taking it on my self too hard and i just need more time
or is it i should train more and use diff trainning methods

You can't feel too bad man, these guys are genuinely talented. You might be talented too but they've been playing for ALOT longer than you have so they have alot of skill to. That aside, Dave Ellefson from Megadeth uses a pick so don't get too discouraged that you can't play the faster parts :p

Just start off slow and speed up once you get the sound PERFECT. By perfect I mean absolutely flawless. Like Skater dan said before me, speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
Quote by pentagram_man63
OR, if youre REALLY hardcore, you can try DROP C!!!!!!!!!!! TEH R0XXXX0RRRZZ!!!!!!!1111ONEONE!!!!111

I Need A Better Sig
It's all a part of the process of learning an instrument. Sometimes you'll feel like you're improving in leaps and bounds, other times, not so much, if at all. It's always good to push at your comfort zone, to attack beyond that horizon. But remember, you can go TOO far into the unknown. I think scarified is a perfect example of that. It is a very very hard song to play, and Juan Alderete was playing for years and years before writing it. Kudos on the attempt though, it wasn't something I dared to tackle in my first year, lol.
As I have said before speed < accuracy. And bass technique, like Rome, is not built in one day.

My advice is to give yourself one goal to reach (a hard song) and keep on woodshedding to build your skills. As you build your skills, go back again to the song and work it again. And record yourself along the way track your progress.

And remember, everyone travels the path to bass competency at different speeds. For example, I have been playing seriously for about two years and only now I finally feel I have decent skills. I also go back and listen to some of my profile mp3s from a few months ago and realize that I am continuing to get better. There's always going to be a "next" goal for you to reach that is going to seem unattainable, and that you'll struggle or have to work a bit harder to accomplish and master it.

And keep those easy songs in your repertoire; they serve several purposes. One, they give you confidence and keep bass playing fun, and they're a great tool for keeping your timing solid.
Play a song slowly with a metronome/drum machine and then start raising the speed in increments of 5bpm, keep practicing at each step till you really get it down with accuracy and timing, add 5 more bpm, rinse repeat.

Do this for a few weeks with some tough songs and you'll magically increase your speed...
well for technique (fretting hand).. really the best advice possible is.. 4 frets:4 fingers. it's self explanitory. I was pretty surprised when i went to my first bass lesson (after 13 months of playing) my technique was nearly perfect. the only very minor flaw i had was some inefficient transitions between scales, etc but it was fixed in minutes.

Anyways, speed only really develops with time.. and there isn't really any shortcuts in music that are more beneficial than the traditional practice. so um.. yeah.. practice. lol it sounds corny but it's what works.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.